“Best Hotel, Amazing Service!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Barbara de Samana
Hotel & Restaurant Chino
New York City, New York
“Best Hotel, Amazing Service!”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Hi Everyone, I wanted to come on here and write my first review on TripAdvisor. I just got back from a family vacation in the Dominican Republic and one of the places we visited was the town of Samana. We stayed in this hotel (Hotel Chino) and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had. I spoke with Carlos (the owner) over the phone from NYC a week before the trip and reserved a room, he was very polite and when we showed up he greeted us with another young man and mentioned they were expecting us. The main thing we wanted to make sure is that the hotel was clean, and our expectations were perfectly met. This trip was with my parents, my sister, my fiancee and I, so we reserved 2 rooms in the 3rd floor of the building (newer wing). We were driving a van, parked out front and were not charged for parking, Carlos had our rooms ready overlooking the Samana Bay, the view was fantastic! We showed up in the early evening as the sun went down, the quietness, the balcony views, and the calm waters made us feel happy about selecting this hotel. We were exhausted by the time we showed up, and being born and raised in DR, and my fiancee being as American as it gets, I told her Dominican chinese food is the best! She didn't believe me, so being late and not wanting to leave the hotel we went down and had a great dinner overlooking the Bay and drinking some Presidente's. Trust me, try the chicken Chow Fan, its AMAZING! We stayed there for 2 nights and were very happy at the hotel, the service, and the friendliness.

Things to note:
-Rooms were big clean & new (3rd floor was just made)
-Views are fantastic!
-A/C worked perfectly
-Hot water
-Showers were big and clean
-TV & Fridge with waters layed out daily
-No funny smells, or loud noises
-No safe, but we were not worried (Fiancee and I were carrying a GoPro camera, Nikon SLR, 2 laptops and Iphone's and nothing was touched).
-You have to go to the restaurant to get free Wifi, I didn't get a strong signal from the balcony
-Great coffee and crackers at 7am in the lobby
-Great price
-And best of all - the service was great!

If you're into photography (or not) I highly recommend taking pictures at sun up and sun down, they all came out great!

Carlos if you are reading this, thank you so much, my father wants to call you and thank you for your hospitality, professionalism and attention. We were very happy with everything and we will make sure we pass the word along to our friends in Santo Domingo, New York City and Miami.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank KevNYC N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 15, 2012

i had a great treat with the employers they are friendly both part the restaurant and hotel, before i find this confortable hotel i had a look by some small hotels in the city and i didn't like because the room doesn't had space to move into and the quality was horrible so bad location too instead when finally looked the other i got this, the room and bathroom were so clean, good space to walk into, the environmental is very quiet cause is up the hill they also have parking i think they had security i saw some cameras into the corridors and outside i recomend this one of the whole city, just one thing that i didn't like the breakfast was so small in the variety it just for eat little and keep the hungry 1 hour more i told with the employer of check out and she said the owners are working to extend the variety soon but anyway is not a big thing. and i forgat they had a restaurant down i ate of this and i liked the food is very delicious even fish call Coco oh my god i don't know how they made that but the mass of the fish was so good and the flavor can not be out i remember the plate is call Capitan Coco around 2 pounds, that's all .

Room Tip: Pick the rooms on second floor all is new there!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jeanchao85
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2012

On top of a hill, overlooking Samana and the Bridge to Nowhere. The view is spectacular. One of my favourite memories of this holiday was sitting on our balcony at the Hotel Chino and watching the sun go down.
The room and bathroom were both clean and nicely done. Lots of hot water. The staff were friendly and made us towel swans (although they insisted they were ducks) - which were hilarious.
The rate is really good value. Only criticism - we couldn't belive breakfast was included at such a cheap rate. The breakfast is dry crackers and coffee. A shame - I had visions of a beautiful, fruit-laden breakfast buffet laid out in the restaurant. Seems like the hotel and resturant have different ownership - if they worked a little more closely together and laid on a proper breakfast for the guests the stay would have been improved.
But I want to finish on a positive note, because Samana is gorgeous, with lots of great restaurants and that view was unforgettable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sharmila P
Kuttawa, Kentucky
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Arrived the evening before so I could take the whale watch expedition with Kim. My first trip to Samana, and I was truly impressed with how clean and safe the city is. The hotel is on a hill overlooking the bay and has its own staircase leading down to the street. It's a bit of a climb, and I once considered paying a motoconcho (motorcycle taxi) to drive me up. Parking is tight (I drove my vehicle), and the staff let me leave my vehicle there while I went on the whale watch. I noticed that the bus station is also very close.

The room was clean and neatly arranged. Each room has a different price, depending on its size. There was plenty of hot water, CNN on the tv, and air conditioning after 8pm.

The attached restaurant has an impressive menu, especially given what I have seen of Chinese restaurants in the Dominican Republic. One review I read mentioned that a buffet was offered, but such is (alas) not the case. At any rate, the sweet and sour chicken was quite good.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Stan P
Uganda
Reviewed January 23, 2011

We stayed twice, on the way to and back from Sabana de la Mar.
It is a few minutes walk from the port and town centre.
The rooms are ok. They looked like the photos on the website.
Here are the details of the rooms we stayed.
Room #6- double bed, spacious, with balcony overlooking the town and the bay in distance, A/C, fridge, no hot water. 2000 pesos per room (double occupation, morning coffee and crackers)
Room #2 - dobule bed, small, A/C, no balcony, a tiny window, hot water. 1800 pesos per room.
The rate and the location are attractive.
We also ate in the restaurant once. The food was ok, price was reasonable, nice view of the bay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank greylourie
Santa Barbara de Samana, Dominican Republic
Reviewed April 24, 2010

I have stayed for my last 2 nights at this fine looking small hotel in the village of Samana, as my five months vacation ended in Dominican Republic. I would say that after the large Cayacoa Hotel, this is the best choice Hotel in Samana. It has only about 10 rooms, all well decorated, overlooking the bay and the marina of Samana. I would recommend definitely choosing a room with a balcony and a view on the Bay, really superb. Located on a small hill, it is very quiet and well located within walking distance of everything. The prices were a bit lower at this time of the year at the end of April. The normal charges for a room seems to start around $50 a day.
Also, this new hotel is located just above the Chino Restaurant that's been serving authentic Chinese cooking in Samana for over 30 years.
It has been a great experience spending the winter in this beautiful and quiet village, as i will definitely be back next November.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
#6 of 53 in Samana Province
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 53 in Samana Province
Figaro Boutique Hotel
Figaro Boutique Hotel
#2 of 10 in Santa Barbara de Samana

Been to Hotel & Restaurant Chino? Share your experiences!