“Access to great view, food, and nightlife!”

Leyte Park Resort Hotel
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Tacloban
Manila, Philippines
“Access to great view, food, and nightlife!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Our room (room rate costs about P2,300 for 4 occupants) in the main building had the sea view... a great vista of the neighboring island of Samar. The view had me overlooking the bareness of the room. It would seem that the view is enough to compensate for the age that the room can show. For amenities, they have at least updated to flat screen & dvd, and the usual personal ref. You have to request the hot water for coffee/tea from the front desk. The electric kettle will be given sans cord so you'll have to use it immediately. Altho the room has 2 double beds, they only provided 2 towels so we had to borrow towels which cost use P50 each.
Breakfast buffet (P120) is worth it for the menu--rice, scrambled eggs, danggit or sausage or tocino or beef tapa, congee, assortment of fresh fruits, and bread, juice and coffee.
For dinner, you have PIER TRES OR BAR KO.... Night life? just a little further is Club 6500... I ' tasted the best margarita there at D' Coach.
I will definitely recommend this legendary place.

Room Tip: If you want the best view, you'd have to get the room in the main building with sea view!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Babut_Bacena

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Samar Island, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

The view from the balcony of the hotel is so relaxing! The room that had a private pool is over looking the sea and a the bathroom is huge, Swimming in the pool and watching the sea is so satisfying and relaxing! The service is a bit slow but can be tolerated, the food is good and you can choose a variety of different Spanish, Filipino, and Chinese cuisine. One you can also choose to have lunch in the floating restaurant and order a mouth tasting seafood!

Room Tip: Overlooking the ocean!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tessa B
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

The views were the best from the main bldg. I didn't believe the cottages were worth. I had minor problem with the rooms but the front desk accommodated the requests. Wifi is available in the lobby. The grounds have a couple of restaurants that are reasonable esp. Pier Tres. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay in main bldg for best view in room 312
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dave H
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

The ambience is wonderful. But the pool really needs tiles at the bottom. It sucks walking around the pool esp. for non swimmers like me lol. But food is great and worth the value :))

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank BeachAtWork
Bern, Bern, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

This is my 5th stay at Leyte Park. I only stay in this hotel as there are no real alternatives with a pool. It seems they stopped maintaining things after it was originally built and everything is simply slowly decaying. Sure they are building some new parts here and there but the original equipment is being stretched to the limit and beyond. I usually rent an apartelle and this time I was politely informed that the price is now 11,532 per week and not 8,400 as shown on their website. As an owner of holiday rental property myself, I wish I could advertise one price then charge another when the guests showed up. I simply fail to comprehend when they cannot keep up the maintenance. Does a tin of paint really cost that much? I was here last year in June and the pool was out of action the whole 8 days I was here. Had I known I would have stayed elsewhere.
Stay here if you must but don't expect things to be clean or in working order.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank KevinandRosalie W

Travelers are raving about these Tacloban hotels

Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

I spend a total of five days at Leyte Park Hotel in mid-October of 2011. Initially, I flew into Tacloban to meet a friend for 2 days, and then off to Cebu to visit a family I know there.

I found Leyte Park Hotel surprisingly comfortable. The large open lobby area with coffee and wine service overlooking the park area with free WiFi was really nice. So after Cebu I returned to Leyte Park Hotel for another three days.

That turned out to be a good choice for I was able to discover an even better way to enjoy Leyte Park Hotel. My first stay of two nights had been in what was hyped as the “best” remodeled and updated room; such rooms were stripped of the old-fashioned wood paneling and flooring, which had been replaced with stainless steel and vinyl. During my return I ventured into the older, mahogany- furniture, -floors and -walls. These were much better rooms, substantially cheaper than the modernized rooms and with cool tropical ambiance. I could find no negatives in these older un-remodeled facilities and many advantages.

The Leyte Park Hotel is an expansive, multi-unit resort situated in and really part of an extensive park area. For me, that was a real positive. As one who has visited Phils several times, I am not comfortable—i.e., feel my personal safety is at risk—walking alone too far outside of most hotels in Philippines. This is not an irrational fear as even my Filipino friends encourage me to always have company when I am outside of my hotel grounds.

Tacloban in general, and the Leyte Park area especially, does not have the sinister ambiance if found surrounding, for instance, the Manila Airport Hyatt or the Cebu City Marriott, both of which employ and prominently display, visibly armed guards and metal detectors screening of anyone entering the hotel. There must be reasons for elevated “security” and one should pay attention to cues that, well... maybe you too should be on alert. I have visited Philippines several times and consider myself fairly savvy about personal security (I met friends for coffee in the Cebu City Marriott lobby and right then and there vowed NEVER to stay in a hotel that made me feel as if I were arriving to meet inmates in a prison!) Pleasantly, you will not find your neck hairs standing on end in the vicinity of Leyte Park Hotel.

Tacloban Airport may be the best, most accessible airport in the Philippines. Small, friendly, simple, efficient: get off plane, pick up luggage, step directly outside into the parking lot where you will be surrounded by dozens of taxi and tricycle agents bidding to take you to the hotel. No hassles whatsoever. When I needed to modify my itinerary, a friend and I went right to Tacloban Airport and in 10 stress-free minutes, the very helpful clerks issued new tickets for no charge.

Anyone interested in Philippine culture and especially World War II history should visit Tacloban. The Leyte MacArthur Park Museum is inspiring; unfortunately, I had to leave Phils a few days before the anniversary celebration on 20th October. The Hotel Alejandro in downtown Tacloban has a great in-house museum. (Although the Alejandro is a nice hotel, it is downtown and

I enjoyed the Leyte Park Hotel restaurants, and I ate most lunches and all dinners there, sometimes alone and sometimes in company of friends. There was an excellent guitarist / singer performing in the main restaurant with whom I sang a few songs; very nice, very friendly.

There is free WiFi in the lobby area, which extends into a large outdoor patio that kinda blends into the park. I used that area to catch up on emails and chat with friends all over the world, all the while sipping coffee and enjoying the view of the park.

Room Tip: Do not check into the “re-modeled, updated rooms” that are more expensive but do not have the charac...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Joe L
Quezon City, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

I frequent this hotel every time I go to Tacloban City since early 2000?. The price is quite high compared to other hotels in Tacloban but this is the only hotel with big grounds and sunset/sunrise view fronting the sea. Recently, hang-out places are being established near/within the hotel premises. I notice that it is also slowly improving every time I stayed. The hotel personnel are accommodating and nice. The beddings are old but clean. Breakfast choices are limited to selection of 3 foods plus fruits and juices. The good thing also is that it has free wi-fi. If you want a relaxing place near the sea where the kids can take a morning or afternoon walk away from the busy streets of Tacloban, this is a good place to stay. I hope this hotel will reach its full functional condition the soonest. By the way, they provide free transport from airport to the hotel but hotel to airport, there's a corresponding fee.

Room Tip: Cottages are spacious and near the breakwater. It provides a better view if you want to watch the su...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family