“A long way to go before it can justify the highest rates in town”
Review of Hotel XYZ

Hotel XYZ
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Tacloban
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Yes, it was damaged in the typhoon, but as the hotel is not yet fully built I am not sure that its major problems (except for some structural damage) can be attributed to the disaster; not sure the elevator has ever worked. Intermittent wifi and electricity (yes, attributed to the disaster and the conditions in town generally), however the hotel should not be charging the current high rates.
Without aircon the rooms are totally airless. And except for rooms at the front they are also very dark. The masseurs are excellent, and the spa was good on my first visit. However on the second it was so noisy - everyone talking and laughing. The restaurant is excellent.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank HoJo_Guest

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I was here with an international organization volunteering services to support locals impacted by typhoon Yolanda. It's in many ways a stark contrast to the surrounding areas & living conditions of the surrounding community; so if you don't think you'll be wracked by guilt, then I'd recommend this hotel. Free wifi that's pretty good. I was able to download tv shows from iTunes for my flight back to the US in oftentimes 15-30 min. The restaurant serves pretty good food (breakfast, lunch & dinner) - though some things on the menu were not yet available. There's also a small cafe that serves Illy coffee & where you can order espresso drinks. There's a spa that I didn't take advantage of and the rooms were comfortable: beds with firm mattresses which I liked, 2 pillows (1 memory foam & one fiber-filled), air conditioning, flat screen tv, refrigerator, shower w/hot water, toilet. The staff was friendly and helpful. There were a few occasions when our restaurant bill had extra charges & miscalculations. Our room's window had yet to be replaced from the storm & was boarded up, but that didn't bother us. Overall, I'd definitely recommend this as a comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Jerick Jao F, General Manager at Hotel XYZ, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Greetings from the newest hotel Xperience in Tacloban City!

Thank you for your wonderful words about your recent stay here at Hotel XYZ. We are always delighted to read the positive experiences of our guests. Your feedback will be shared to the rest of the team as your words of appreciation never fail to inspire us to be consistent in providing excellent service.

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and able to appreciate the services extended by our hotel staff. We are very humbled by your kind words and delighted to know that our guest sees and appreciates all our efforts. Especially your high regards with the amenities we are offering.Your patronage and loyalty are very important to us.

We truly value your comments as these will help us improve on our services more.

Hospitably yours,

Resident Manager

Hotel XYZ
P. Zamora St., Tacloban City, 6500, Philippines
Tel No.: (+63 053) 321.3888
Fax no.: (+63 053) 523.3888

Reviewed February 22, 2014

As one of the few hotels that opened shortly after Typhoon Haiyan hit Tacloban just last November, it is understandable that there are some inconveniences that one has to put up with such as a non-functioning elevator, room telephone and not to mention that the front desk can only be reached through mobile phone. I wonder if at the time of my stay, some of the hotel staff have yet to report for duty. Since the elevator's not working, I would appreciate being asked if I need assistance in carrying my bags. Instead, I got none. The complimentary bottled water is also missing from my room. To be fair, when I asked for it at the front desk, the staff immediately went to my room with the said items.

Considering that Typhoon Haiyan recently wiped out half of the city, it would be wise for the hotel to provide flash lights in every room. Although there is a slot for such in the closet, the flash light itself seems to be missing from its place.

Although the room is small compared to the other hotels I've previously stayed, the design is pleasing to the eyes. I especially appreciate the non-fogging mirror and the chain lock in the door.

Overall, I recommend this hotel for long-staying guests but if you only need a place to stay for a night or two, there are less pricey options in the city.

P.S. At the time of my stay, telephone lines do not seem to be working so it would do a lot of good for all the hotels in Tacloban to have posted alternative ways to reach them (eg. mobile phones). There also seems to be a problem with the sewer system in Leyte as there's a foul scent coming from the bathroom, same goes for another hotel I've stayed in a town miles away from Tacloban.

Room Tip: Check if the elevator is already working and get a room in the lower floors if you have issues with...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank WomanWander
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Not much to look at from the outside, as the front entrance is small and narrow. But the interior is clean, bright and stylishly decorated. Everything is clean and modern. Rooms are very comfortable and everything is in working order (an exception for a Philippine hotel, especially one on the provinces). Considering how few lodging places have been able to re-open after Typhoon Yolanda, XYZ is a real treat. The only problem for now is securing a room, as the entire hotel seems to be taken up by international relief workers and there is rarely any vacancies for others. The restaurant is simple, but again bright and clean. Prices are OK, but the food was a bit disappointing, probably because many people had told me that it was great and I probably had unrealistic expectations. There are other better restaurants in town, but it's OK for a change.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Raintree_Thailand
Jerick Jao F, General Manager at Hotel XYZ, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Greetings from the newest hotel Xperience in Tacloban City!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Hotel XYZ. We are always delighted to read the positive experiences of our guests. Your feedback will be shared to the rest of the team and rest assured that all key points of comments and suggestions will be given a high regards. However, I was a bit upset of what you've stated about your experience in the restaurant, most probably, when you dined in, it was the time that we just opened after the typhoon wherein we are still recovering and most of the ingredients were purchased outside of Tacloban. But again, this is not an excuse and I would like to apologize if the food was not really good, anyhow, please be informed that as of this moment we made sure that we are serving quality and sumptuous food. And I hope the next time you visit us, please do dine in again at the Q Kitchen.

Hospitably yours,

Reviewed January 11, 2014

This review is being written over two months after typhoon Haiyan. I visit my family in Leyte once a year around January/February timeframe. I never had a need to stay in a hotel - because I always stay with my sister. This trip is different. My sisters house has no electricity yet. I had to make this impromptu trip for my mothers funeral. It has been raining for several days.
The hotel staff are very accommodating, and prompt to answer any questions and concerns. The hotel is clean. I particularly like the bathroom and the showers. The wifi is available throughout the whole building, not super fast, but reliable. There is also a restaurant on the first floor which is super convenient. Now for the "but:" my room was 501; no elevator, the door has to be manually open by a staff with an actual key; no warm/hot water, the glass wall was leaking from the rain. If the "but's" don't bother you, then this is the place. It is a cute little hotel with clean rooms. Hopefully if I ever need to stay here, they will have a vacancy, and they have a working elevators and auto room entry, because it has plenty of potential.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Merlina
Jerick Jao F, General Manager at Hotel XYZ, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Greetings from the newest hotel Xperience in Tacloban City!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Hotel XYZ. We are always delighted to read the positive experiences of our guests. Your feedback will be shared to the rest of the team and rest assured that all key points of comments and suggestions will be given a high regards. Also, we appreciated your good ratings to our facilities and services.

Upon reading your review, I noticed that you have other concerns with regard to your stay and to discuss these further please be informed that all concerns were being noted. With regards to the manual key usage and leaking of the room; please be advised that his particular room is one of the rooms that was damaged by the typhoon, however, as of this moment we are having the repair of the said room. Second is the elevator,which was also damaged by the tragedy; but I am glad to inform you that the elevator is under repair already which will be accomplished, hopefully within 2 months.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I'm one of those who have lived in Tacloban City in some point of my life but is working outside the Philippines. When typhoon Haiyan battered the city where I studied, I was one of those who cried of the tragedy that happened in a place that hold special memories in my heart. The destruction took place on November 8 and all of us were asking when can Tacloban be on its feet again.

I went back for my Christmas holidays to the Philippines, and I made sure I went back to Tacloban at least for a 2-day trip for me to see the ground zero situation myself, something that cannot be completely done by TV news and internet stories. Before I flew in there, I made sure that I have a hotel to stay as most friends and relatives houses are still without electricity.I managed to book Hotel XYZ, to my surprise as I was thinking there are probablyno establishments back to normal business.

When I arrive at the hotel, I was amazed how fast they have recovered. As I was checking in, there were other guests arriving, some UNCHR agent who used to work in Croatia, and another man who I believe is a photographer who used to be in Kosovo, warn torn areas 20 years ago. I overheard them talking in the lobby. I was glad to see an international community staying in the same hotel as myself.

The ambiance is simple but furnished with trendy furnitures and the color selection, I just love it. I'm in the paint industry so I love the colors combination of the walls, the furnitures, etc.I remember coming here last June 2013 coffee at the lobby, they had some nice coffee selection, hot and cold, but the cafe is still closed due to lack of personnel to operate the Illy outlet. At the far back of the cafe is the Chinese restaurant where I had my lunch, Well, Chinese food is good everywhere. And in this city where there aren't many restaurants re-opened their businesses, this Chinese restaurant is perhaps a good alternative.

My room was cozy and comfortable. One thing I'm particular about hotels is the quality of the beddings and the towels. Here you are pampered. The pillows and the bed is great comfort whole night, and the towels are the thick high quality white types. The bathroom mirror has a built in heater so when I showered there was no irritating condensation on the mirror. It took me a while to find out what's the tiny red light on the right bottom of the mirror.

There is a flat screen TV, there is free coffee and tea in the room. The coffee sachet 3 in 1 is good, the brand is BEN. It tasted good.

I always come to Tacloban city every year and I'm sure I will be here again. It's located right at the downtown area, very accessible, and when everything comes to normal, I'm sure Hotel XYZ is priority choice for all travellers to Tacloban City.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank FreeradicalGreg

Greetings from the newest hotel Xperience in Tacloban City!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Hotel XYZ. We are always delighted to read the positive experiences of our guests. Your feedback will be shared to the rest of the team and rest assured that all key points of comments and suggestions will be given a high regards. Also, we appreciated your good ratings to most of our facilities, amenities and services.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I love art-inspired hotels. They just make the stay more interesting from how the room is designed up to the place where we had our breakfast. Staff very courteous, professional, upbeat. Regardless of time, they always look fresh and vibrant. Hope there will be more art inspired hotels like this.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank janettetoral
Jerick Jao F, General Manager at Hotel XYZ, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014