“Filled with history - with excellent service!”
Review of Hotel Alejandro

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tacloban
Hotel Alejandro
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Tacloban
Livonia, Michigan
“Filled with history - with excellent service!”
Reviewed November 4, 2009

Anyone who appreciates history or great service will love the Hotel Alejandro in Tacloban. For the history buffs, the walls are lined with 1930s-40s era black and white photos and war memorabilia. For those who love service, you won't be disappointed by the friendly staff who respond immediately to any request you make. This hotel is clean and comfortable, and the restaurant serves up the best food you could want. By far the best value are the Filipino Breakfast and American Breakfast, both of which will start your day off right without emptying your wallet. The only negative I can even think of is that the water pressure in the showers isn't all it could be - but compared with everything else that is wonderful about this hotel, it's hardly a concern. When you're in Tacloban, stay at the Hotel Alejandro - you won't regret it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MichiganTed

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed September 19, 2009

I read all of the reviews here before deciding on Hotel Alejandro and am glad I decided to stay there. I arrived on the 14th of August and checked out the 15th of September so I think I have a pretty good feel for the hotel and it's staff. I went to Tacloban to meet my love interest who lives only a mile or so from the hotel. She and her family also recommended I stay there as opposed to the other options in town. I've been into the lobby of the other hotels mentioned here, Asia Stars and the Leyte Park Resort to name two of them. None compared with Hotel Alejandro. Asia Stars is a 6 or 8 story concrete building in the heart of downtown and leaves a lot to be desired. I'm sure the traffic noise there would be incredible - and Leyte park resort isn't in the best shape. We went to the restaurant on the north side of the resort several times for dinner, beers and to watch the sun set. That place I CAN recommend :)

The staff at Hotel Alejandro couldn't have been better. The only minor problems I had were with room service not knowing the difference between a thermos of hot water and a cup of hot water. The food was pretty good although a little pricey compared to the other places in town (well it is room service). The housekeeping staff was wonderful (thanks so much Isabela!!). My laundry was well taken care of and everyone was very friendly and helpful.

The roof venue is very beautiful! We nearly held our wedding there and only at the last minute decided to do it all ourselves. The hotel offers a wedding package that includes absolutely everything you'd need right down to 2 vehicles to shuttle bride/groom and parents to and from the wedding, cake and a bridal suite, and enough food for 100 guests for P46,000 ($964 USD). All you'll need is a suit and gown!

If you've traveled to any tropical country then you know there are lizards and roaches. I don't care where you are or how nice it is, you're GOING to have a 2" roach (I had only one) and at least one nice little gecko (minum) to scour your room for gnats. Just find names for them and mingle a little or don't travel to a tropical country. The room was very clean and always had clean linens (when we let them in heheh). Two beds, one single one double, stand up western style shower with a never ending supply of hot water, ice cold fridge and air-con. There's free wifi access and two computers for guests on the bottom floor of the house adjacent to the gift shop. I was able to access the wifi from the balcony of the 3rd floor just over the internet room. Cafe Teresa is very nice and clean as well as the entire lobby area. More meeting and conference rooms are available on the 2nd floor as well, but I'd recommend the roof!! The WWII photos, letters and memorabilia strung throughout the hotel is very impressive and was being added too the entire time I was there. Be sure to take the time to look through it all!!

On check-out, my now wife and I spoke with the manager and she gave me a discount on top of their already very reasonable prices!! I know it's long but I still feel like I left something out. I can't say enough good things about the hotel and it's staff!! Feel free to write to me at wilkins_kevin@sbcglobal.net if you have any questions about the hotel or Tac City. I'd be happy to help!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank daddywilkins
dumaguete
Reviewed May 29, 2009

Our thoughts echo those of stanleypalisda, a previous visitor. The Hotel Alejandro could be and should be a better hotel. They just do not seem to be trying. Worse, they do not seem to care for their customers.

The Hotel has an excellent website, which sold us in the first place. We really wanted to see the collection of old photos, etc. When we arrived we were told that they were not available and had been sent to Manila for some purpose not explained. That's it. That's all. No regret and no explaination on the website.

There is WI FI internet service available in the public spaces. The signal seems to disappear at 2200 as did the lighting in the delightful space I was using on the balcony of the old house.

The hot water was non-existent unless the tap was left to run for what seemed like an eternity. I'm not particularly patient and I like to take my shower when I want it - not when the hotel gets 'round toit.

The location was convenient to almost everything.

Our outstanding experience was breakfast. Absolutely the best value for money that I have experienced anywhere in the Philippines. PP 120, including brewed coffee, all the usual egg and meat items and SIX, count em six, half-slices of toasted bread.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank davfitz
Quezon City
Reviewed May 13, 2009

One enters Hotel Alejandro through the shell of an antillan home, which is one of the more prominent landmarks in Tacloban City. The entrance exudes a museum feel with the refurbished old furniture, decor, and old pictures, presumably of the family who owns the property. Before reaching the lobby, a guest walks through an indoor patio which also serves as waiting area. A red carpet welcome. But that's it.

The lobby and the reception area is the total opposite of the entrance. Gloomy and cramped. Dusty souvenir items, old travel brochures, and a haggard (harrassed) desk staff. The hotel desk was in semi disarray, probably because I checked in during Pintados Festival, perhaps the busiest time for the hotel. Reservation slips strewn about the counter... receptionists taking more than one calls... guests waiting to be brought to their rooms... bell boys awaiting deployment. It took sometime before I was taken to the room by a sloppy bell man. I am sure this is not the case on ordinary days. I hope not.

They have a slow elevator that I'd rather not take. During my 2 day stay, I used the stairs to reach my second floor room, which had 2 small beds. A twin share, which was the only room available at that time. The bed covers were white linen... like a hospital. The pillows flat, not fluffed and smelled of Lysol. The bathroom worked, with hot and cold shower. Fair enough. The window blinds were jammed and always closed. I had to settle for unnatural lighting courtesy of 1 low wattage flourescent bulb. There was a cockroach which the room attendant killed with Baygon. My room is at the far end of the wing, facing the street. Ambient noise consists of tricycles and tricycles and tricycles. I would strongly advise guests to avoid these rooms.

Room service also took some time. Both the call to order and the delivery of the order took awhile. Again, maybe I came at a wrong season. Hotel Alejandro's strength would be location, since it's within the city and minutes away from everything. It can charm guests who love antique.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank stanleypalisada
Bangkok
Reviewed May 2, 2009

Stayed here last week of April 2009 for 3 nights visiting friends in the provence... First thing is that the hotel has a very nice-- if not imposing-- front view.. It is a historic site for Tacloban town and has history that you can see for yourself in the many photos on the walls and a Tacloban history book in the lobby area..
Check-in is swift and a bellboy takes your bags.. I reserved a basic standard room. and was quoted a off-peak rate of PHP1000/night nett.. Luckily at check-in I got a room that had been renovated about a year ago (according to front desk staff).. The room is--like virtually all of the Philippines-- hard tile. this is nice as it keeps the room cool.. It was suprisingly large for the room category.. Basic small bed-- like a US twin size or similar.. like almost all beds in asia-- it was firm-- to say the least.. light blanket and pillows.. A/C was overhead type and strong and quite.. TV was a smaller (maybe 25 in or so) color with remote.. all your standard cable channels including english movie and news channels.. some programs in Chinese/Japanese/Russian too.. Only one small desk by the bed-- not enought space to work from, but enough for your basics..
Bathroom was a western style with only a standup shower. The hot water was a "water on a wall" type of hot water system... It had decent pressure, but like all "water on the wall" systems, the water never gets really hot-- some dont care, but for me I like a nice hot shower.. All fixture worked and were very clean..
Overall the room was basic but very clean, no signs of roaches or similar and everything worked-- no exceptions..
Hotel does have an odd "swimming" pool on the roof.. I'd suggest you go look for yourself.. Why is it "odd"? Well, when you look at it.. It's small... and it looks out-of-place... It looks like it was an "after thought"... It ocupies one corner of the rooftop.. Shaped in an "L" shape that wraps around the corner of the hotel.. no diving board and it can only be 5ft deep or so at best.. There are a few small tables with chairs next to it if you want to have a bite to eat or drink.. Nice place as most of the hotels in Tacloban dont have a pool at all-- it's just a funny looking set-up... Like someone thought to add a pool AFTER the hotel was done..
Hotel facitlites are suprisingly good.. a restaurant that is 24/7 (room service 24/7 also) that has a very diverse menu-- western/philippino and thai foods are featured.. A feature that I like-- I call it "off-menu" ordering.. I asked the hotel for a simple grilled cheese sandwich, it's not on the menu. But they made one for me. A nice touch.
The front desk staff were very helpful in anything I wanted.. They even called the airline to confirm my seats for my departure, arranged for a taxi to the airport.. everything..
The hotel is in a fairly good location and is walking distance to most things in downtown Tacloban..

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GOPBI
Newcastle, australia
Reviewed March 18, 2009

While agreeing with everyone else, I find it strange that no one has mentioned the pool on the roof that was finished while I was there. The roof top has a rather nice veiw of the city and a very nice pool. It's funny how people go to see something and don't really look around. The place has a very detailed photo history of various things that have happened going back to WWII. It took me a little effort but I finally talked the staff into selling me a carton of beer to take out with me, they insisted it would be cheaper elsewhere, But even thier high price was a lot cheaper than in my country hehe. I'll be going back soon

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Sickem
Philiipines
Reviewed January 26, 2009

Hotel Alejandro must be the most charming Hotel in this side of town.The hotel facade tells one of History w/c adds charm to this Hotel.
It's surely not a 5-star hotel but the attentiveness & friendliness of the staff compensate for it.Besides the Rate is so reasonable, the food in the restaurant is also okey & the rooms are clean.
We surely enjoyed our stay excep,t for the old towels that they still use & hope the management notice that.
Generally, the Hotel is great & we will still come back next time.

Stayed January 2009