“Re: Don Felipe Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Ormoc
Australia
“Re: Don Felipe Hotel”
Reviewed March 24, 2011

i surprised by the comments made by americus about the hotel and room he had there, i was there in july / august 2010 and i never had any problems with the room, although it was very outdated, but the room service for cleaning was very good,and the shower and bath was very clean, once i worked out how to get the hot water to flow in the shower i never had any problems,as for the restaurant, i can't comment on that as we always had our meals elsewhere, as for the lift, it worked okay and not once did i see any graffitti, the hall lighting was not a problem, although the room we had did not have a view of the bay, i think we must remember that the hotel was not a 5 star rating and sometimes we might expect to be like the hotels in our home country, but i will find out if the hotel has lost it's appeal to visitors when i go back there again in august 2011, the beds, television and fridge worked okay, although i must say that the people at the desk could have a bit more communication and smile and make the guests welcome..

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ozzee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Americus, Georgia
Reviewed March 19, 2011

My girlfriend and I spent our first Valentine's here expecting that it was a great hotel. We had really high expectations being that it has been highly praised with reviews here in this site. In truth, it is absolutely a big LIE! Outside the hotel the stringent musk of urine was very overpowering and just one look at the hotel you can tell its been a very old hotel. They gave us a giant key for our room. Even the elevator was a bit shaky and full of graffiti. The hallways are dark and gloomy. The room has no safe for you to place your belongings. The only thing I actually liked about it was the view outside but that was it. A few other things about the room. The bed was very lumpy and it kinda feels like the bed makes you do a letter C. The television is an old giant screen tv. There is a giant mirror in front of the bed which by itself is creepy as heck. There appears to be a few problems in the walls which looks like there was a leak somewhere. The bathroom is small and looks filthy. I'm not saying its really dirty but its brown, which makes it look that way. The tub looks pretty bad as well so me and my girlfriend didn't shower there. The refrigerator barely works that we even thought of just cooling our water bottles by placing it in front of the air conditioner that leaks outside.

As for our experience during Valentine's day, we decided to eat at the restaurant right next to the hotel (which I'm assuming is associated with the hotel). I was very very very very very...disappointed if not furious about the service there. We waited for a whole hour (yes I checked) and just when we were about to leave they finally served our meal. The seat we were placed in was with a very dull bulb that kept flickering on and off. When we sat down there was still a bunch of plates of a finished meal from a previous customer, and it was not cleaned up until 30 minutes later. The food was mediocre at best. To my surprise they placed a banana split on our table. Thinking it was an apology for making us wait for so long we went ahead and ate it. One of the waiters then asked if we ordered it and as it turns out he delivered it to the wrong table and charged us for it. In the end we paid about 800 pesos for abysmal service and mediocre food (got 2 glasses of wine, one pasta meal, salad, and the extra banana split with a somewhat rotten banana).

That night was very very creepy. We came back around 1 am tired and exhausted from checking out the celebrations outside. The tv kept flickering and there was a small image of a face staring back (or maybe it was my imagination from just being creeped out of the hotel). Also with the constant noise from the celebrations (which was ok) sleeping in front of an antique and big mirror gives you an eerie feeling. The best experience for us overall was getting out of there.

The paid price was, I believe, not a fair price. The hotel nearby (can't remember the name but it was in front of what my girlfriend calls the 24 hour store) seems far better which a cheaper price for an air conditioned room (Horror hotel charged us close to 2,000 pesos where this other one would charge 1,000 pesos).

Overall its a terrible place. Avoid it like the plague.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank x300

Travelers are raving about these Ormoc hotels

usA
Reviewed August 15, 2010

If you need to stay in Ormoc for a month or a year or more, you can not do better than Hotel Don Filipe's monthly rate of 20,000 pesos per month. The hot water is hot and endless. The bed was big and comfortable. The restaurant is excellent; the shrimp and cauliflower on rice is excellent as is the beef and broccoli. The breakfast is better than excellent, brewed or instant coffee, toast, eggs, pancakes. The air conditioned restaurant is always comfortable. Only one of the six waiters is lax. The young man with his hair cut short is best. The big guy is also good. The tall young man is excellent.
My room was a normal Don Filipe room excepyt it did not have a view of Ormoc Bay. The street dance on Saturday nights is loud. It is a city affair every Saturday night.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
4 Thank usAKano
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Stayed a couple of nights with my girlfriend before heading to her town, you can walk there right from the the Supercat ferry and the bus terminal is right outside if you are going to other cities. I had a superior double for 1650 peso a night, the room is a little outdated, kind of 1970's style to be exact,but was clean and comfortable, and the view from the 6th. floor was great, staff were very friendly and helpful,would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bryfromchicago
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed November 4, 2009

Just stayed there for one night, having gotten back from Bohol by way of Cebu. The best thing about the Don Felipe is that it is the biggest building in town so you can't miss it. Within walking distance of the SuperCat and OceanJet terminals - it is a great place to crash if you're getting into town late. The "coffee shop" / restaurant is very nice - but don't order the Chicken Adobo unless you're looking for the most generic kind. Excellent Halo-Halo though!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MichiganTed
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2009

we stayed just one night traveling to cebu .great room with balcony overlooking the port excellant room service @reasonable cost ,as was the room.couldnt fault .would stay there again .

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank anthony452016
UnitedKingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2009

I come to ormoc every two years and it is the only hotel that I would like to stay. Meanly because all of the staffs there are very friendly and some of staffs now has became my friends. Since I have been coming there for the last 15 years they all knew me and they always greated me with warmth welcoming, which made me feel so important.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank susanwhite_9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ormoc
My Little Island Hotel
#1 of 20 in Tacloban
Asia Stars Hotel
Asia Stars Hotel
#14 of 20 in Tacloban

Been to Don Felipe Hotel? Share your experiences!