“Hey, this place is okay!”

GV Hotel Ormoc City
Ranked #10 of 17 Ormoc B&B and Inns
Cebu Island, Philippines
“Hey, this place is okay!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stop over in Ormoc quite often as I travel to and from Cebu City via ferryboat. And the GV is quite a good option. GV hotels are all over the Visayas (the central island group of the Philippines) and they all have the same concept: small rooms with AC and cable TV, small bath. Okay so they've economized on space but they are all clean and safe. Their prices are often among the lowest in town. Now I wouldn't want to live in these places or stay for extended visits but they certainly are adequate for an overnight stop. Another review here says that the rooms only have one outlet; that's actually quite common in the Philippines. Many hotels design their rooms that way because so many Cheap Charlies travel with rice cookers and consume a lot of electricity. In the Philippines I always travel with my own outlet adapter so that I can watch TV and run and charge my laptop at the same time.

The GV chain has many branches all over the Visayas and I highly recommend them for short stays. See their website at gvhotels.com.ph

C'mon folks! Where can you get a clean and safe room like this for P420 for a single or P620 for a double?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Richard D

Business
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

The rooms inside the hotel are small, but thankfully, they have comfort rooms inside each room. We stayed in the deluxe room for 2. They only have a single electrical outlet inside the room, so you could only charge one gadget at a time. Every time we wanted to charge our phones, we had to turn off and unplug the TV first. This is very impractical, if you ask me.

The walls of the room looked dirty. When we removed the bed sheets, the mattress was filthy! Aside from various suspicious stains, the side of the mattress nearest to the wall had chewing gum stuck on it. Revolting!

The cable TV only worked for one night. The following morning (Good Friday), the cable was out. We couldn't understand why. I've never experienced cable TV logging off because of the Holy Week.

We were also woken up by the sound of hammers pounding in the room upstairs. The hotel staff was also very noisy as they were yelling at each other along the corridor very early in the morning.

The only good thing about this place is its location, which is pretty near the Ormoc City proper and other important PUV terminals. The hotel price was also affordable, which is great for backpackers like me.

Overall, we're thankful that our stay in GV Hotels Ormoc was short because I don't think I could bear to be in that place any longer. Yes, it is a cheap hotel, but that really isn't an excuse to provide poor service.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank ivedelafuente

Travelers are raving about these Ormoc hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ormoc
Don Felipe Hotel
#8 of 21 in Tacloban
No photo provided
GV Hotel Baybay
#1 of 5 in Baybay

Been to GV Hotel Ormoc City? Share your experiences!