“Clean and simple”

Lake Danao National Park
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Ormoc
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The waters were absolutely clean and cool, and it is relaxing to row out to the middle on a balsa or a kayak. The place is beautiful and calm, refreshingly far from the warm seaside cities and towns of the island. The drive going there is filled with cool, crisp mountain air with a hint of pine, the road lined with hamlets, meadows, and monasteries. We even saw cold weather blooms like hydrangeas along the way!

Liked how the floating huts had cooking areas, but I wonder if it poses a fire risk. Nonetheless glad it's not super developed since that would have ruined it, but I hope the provincial government does pay a little more attention to it and at least puts in basic facilities like bathrooms and shower stalls.

2  Thank Arthuronholiday
"nice view"
"pleasant ride"
"cold wind"

Reviewed April 16, 2013

The road is bumpy gravel in places, but it is worth going there. We rented one of the "floating cottages" and spend an hour eating our lunch. 150 PhP an hour for the cottage. I didn't give it five stars though, since the lady who owned the cottages charged me another 100 PhP (without prior notifying me) when I used the outrigger canoe for about ten minutes.
You need to plan ahead though, as they do not have anything to eat but raw vegetables and lake clams, which are sold by the entrance. They also can sell you some beer, soft drinks or Tanduay Rum. The Farmer's Cooperative in Leyte recently blessed the lake with a few kayaks which you can rent, so take some extra cash with you. It is a great place to paddle.
For those of you who love the heat here in Leyte, take a jacket or sweater, as the breezes are cooler than at sea level. You also need to find a good tree to hide behind, as they do not have a working CR there...

3  Thank WVKayaker
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I took a small group of teens up to Lake Danao and rented a floating cabana for the day. It is really beautiful there and the swimming is good once you pull your cabana to the middle of the lake, everybody had a good time. We brought our own food but did buy some cooked clams from the local vendor there. Be warned there is not really much there to buy as far as food goes so you should bring everything you need with you.

We rode our motorcycles to the Lake and it took about a hour as our home is on the other side of Ormoc and we stopped to get some lechon manok too along the way. I would not suggest going after a heavy rain because the roads can become pretty bad, a large stretch of the road is dirt and rock.

Overall Lake Danao is nice and is good for a day visit. It could be much better with a little investment but it is is the Philippines so all's you can do is enjoy it for what it is.

4  Thank Dave L
Reviewed October 18, 2012

It is the place where we used to hang out with my friends during our childhood years...I love to do boating, swimming and you will be relaxed at the floating cottages available for renting.

6  Thank LanzSister