“Cosy teak wood resort on the waterfront”
Review of Sabin Resort Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ormoc
Sabin Resort Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Ormoc
Washington, dc
“Cosy teak wood resort on the waterfront”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This place reminded me of the enchanting wooden-styled small properties that we can find throughout the Caribbean islands. Clean, well maintained and with a very friendly staff always ready to accommodate any demands.
A perfect place that feels isolated yet minutes from downtown. The ideal place to stay in Ormoc that offers a fabulous south pacific sunset.

Room Tip: The presidential suite was worth it
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DupontTravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Overall place is average though word among locals it's supposed to be the most expensive in town. Hallways are pretty dark, sliding doors leading to hallways are worn and don't lock securely. Sea side/lawn view is beautiful. It's just unfortunate their expansive pool is currently under renovation until Sept 2013 (I think) - kids were bummed as we were there 3 nights for a wedding anniversary celebration. Have very friendly, helpful staff and have van for pier transfers - use them! Still can't get over the fact that hotel has not invested in utilizing electronic cards for room use, they still use regular, heavy metal keys! signs everywhere that you can't bring outside food in but we've had to as kids preferred jollibee take-outs. Hotel has been pretty lenient on this, I think.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Jadyan3
Singapore
Reviewed July 11, 2013

this is the best resort in ormoc city, or so i have read and heard. the good things about it are the food, the pool, and the rooms.

the bad things are there's no beach (they have built a wall by the beach) and the bad service. the waiters are a bit careless, like forgetting what you ordered, and the food takes a long time to arrive. the staff obviously need training on serving and responding to customers better.

but this resort is good enough for a family gathering or a quick getaway. and they accept guests who just go there to eat and use the pool (for a fee). in most cases, this satisfies my needs (staying at my house in ormoc is much nicer, hehe).

Room Tip: choose the rooms on the second floor away from the restaurant, which has a nightly band.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Juan, Philippines
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This has been my second time staying at the hotel, and as before I admired the hardwood used throughout the building. The room was exactly like the one I was in last time, and an added bonus was that the mirror made us look thinner! It was relatively clean and simple, and the air conditioner made the room comfortably cool after only some minutes. Television was fine, except I wish they had a channel guide.

Was able to sleep very well on their lovely beds, except that there were children running about the halls and the common balcony. That last one is sort of an unsettling, since one never knows who could be peeking in from the outside through the glass doors. I was worried someone could break in and steal our personal effects or something since guests can freely roam the balcony outside the sliding doors of all the rooms. The fact that it is is also accessible to just about anyone from the main hallway via a small lobby fronting the stairs heightens the potential security risk.

The pool did not have any deck chairs or tables so we had to place our things on plastic chairs we dragged from a nearby function. The water that day was heavily saturated with chlorine and quite dirty, while spigots on one if the jacuzzi-like things on the sides were broken.

I still bemoan the fact they do not have a shower bidet near the toilet (I hate using toilet roll) which backed up on us after only a few uses. Maintenance for the toilet came slow as with most of the service in this hotel, though upfront the staff are nonetheless courteous. We didn't eat here this time around (we ate at my roommates' relatives' place in the same barangay) since the food takes long to come and isn't all that fantastic. They were quick however with the bottles of water and new toilet roll.

Also, they only have wifi in the lobby and pool area towards the viewing deck. The second floor foyer around the lobby was where most guests were using their devices, and since that part was far from the room as well as warm and mosquito-filled, we just used one of my roommate's phones for Internet access. I'm not a smoker, but the entire hotel I believe is non-smoking and the only place to get a smoke is the sari-sari store just outside the hotel's gates, which need to be remodelled as with many parts of this otherwise proper establishment.

Room Tip: Try getting a room further down the hall near the end. Less people passing by the common balcony or...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Arthuronholiday
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I spent three days here on a business trip, at first glance everything looked nice, amazing sea view, sunset, clear water pool and coconut/palm trees all over the place - but the rooms are old, bath room is run down with molds and even mud on corners. duvet covers are old and the duvet itself was disgusting! they should renovate the whole place, it has great potential but as it is now, it is totally a waste of money and a disappointment.

Pineapples are great though, they sell them at the lobby, you can order in advance so they can pack in boxes. I suggest you visit the place for dinner, they have a live band in the evening. take photos by the pool or by the deck near the sea.

Room Tip: I stayed in one of the rooms facing the sea, there's no window that you can open to enjoy the vi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank little_traveller731

Travelers are raving about these Ormoc hotels

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed March 7, 2013

When you book with this hotel the website defaults to an outfit called Islands Accommodations and you literally can't get to the hotel direct. That means you book with this organization, send your money to them by Western Union or Xoom (Xoom is hopeless) and they email your receipt to you. Fine, yep, until you get there and check out your room, then the poolside premiere room you paid for has suddenly become a pokey little back room next to the car park, really noisy. So you complain. Unfortunately the front line staff are not very good and can't cope with stuff like this at all and become very defensive and unmoving. So, you call for the manager, who listened for about 5 seconds, saw that the email they had got from Islands Accommodations had downgraded us from premiere to superior and lied about the money, skimmed a quick 1000 pesos off the price; and then he tried to provide us with the room we had paid for. Unfortunately the hotel was booked solid for a wedding, so he and I went walkabout and found a room on the pool side of the hotel and away from the car park. Whilst not as good as we had ordered and up two floors (no lift) he took the scam on the chin and refunded the difference to us. So, we paid for a poolside room with a mini bar, big bed and facilities and got a small studio room but they came up trumps with at least trying to find us something half way decent. The room we ended up with was smallish but had most of the things we needed for a comfortable two night stay although the showers are not the greatest. The rooms are a bit tired but clean, good tv and good lighting. The hotel itself has so many little areas to relax, or use your laptop (free wifi) that it gives the appearance more of a country lodge, all wood and comfy chairs. The grounds are superbly presented and the pool is amazing and suitable for all ages. The restaurant is ok and ill review that separately. We were there to check it out as a possible place both to get married and to have our reception as my fiancés family live in the area, and although we had the scam played on us (and on the hotel - I hope they do something about that quickly) we see nothing to change our mind, except once again, we were given no wiggle room when we talked about numbers with the wedding planner (yes, they have one). We want about 30 - 40, they have two packages, 50 and 100 and she was an Immovable object, with a smile. Ah well, back to the manager again I suppose. He is lovely, made sure our trip was salvaged (after all it's a long way from anywhere and yes, for a price they do provide a car to and from Tacloban Airport) and I'm sure we can work out something to ensure our wedding goes smoothly later in the year, but in future we will call them, and book direct. Be very very wary of Island Accommodations!!!

Room Tip: Front line staff poor, manager amazing, works out to average. Car to the airport is 3500 pesos. Take...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank shower1
orkney
Reviewed March 5, 2013

fantastic swimming pool at this hotel its free for customers who have rooms .Also live music in the bar , its a beautiful hotel and great views . I got a room next to the swimming pool it was clean and it had a good bathroom . This hotel has the potential to be a very fine hotel only thing that lets it down is the customer service , we had to wait for our food for 1 hour then it was left outside our room until way after breakfast time . The hotel was very busy that night i must add ... I sent food back various time even the coffee was cold, recommended for the hotel not the food . I will go back here as it is a very relaxing place beautiful at night in the gardens and swimming pool

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank willieOrkney
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ormoc
Don Felipe Hotel
#7 of 20 in Tacloban
The Oriental Leyte
The Oriental Leyte
#1 of 1 in Palo

Been to Sabin Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!