Villa Monte do Casal
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We had a really fantastic stay. The staff were really friendly and nothing was too much trouble We enjoyed the food, especially the Seafood Monte do Casal. We had a special romantic evening enjoying a five course tasting menu under the gazebo which was on the lake..magic!

Our suite was very comfortable with a big balcony for breakfast and sunbathing.

All in all, we had a great time.

Room Tip: Suite 10 is the best!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kat9nn
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We drove up the Cypress lined cobbled drive, past the beautiful gardens and when we received a warm welcome from the receptionist and a glass of chilled champagne, we felt at that moment completely relaxed and we had arrived somewhere rather special.

Our beautiful room was overlooking the garden and a pond with koi fish and a waterfall near the spa. The room was very spacious and we slept well. The large bathroom was pure luxury with double basins, white marble and special touches. The weather was wonderful and we had our breakfast on our terrace every morning which was included in the price of the room. We like this because most hotels charge 20 euros or more per person for breakfast. I also don’t like to have to get dressed to go to a buffet breakfast and then have to help myself when I can have breakfast brought to me. If you are like me, I like to be pampered when I am on holiday!

Talking about pampering, Tanya gave me probably the best massage ever! The spa sits on one of the small lakes again has a wonderful feeling of relaxation as you are surrounded by water.

We enjoyed eating outside under the pergola every evening. The food was good and the service was friendly and professional but we felt that after 3 or 4 days, the menus for lunch and dinner started to become a bit boring and there should have been more of a choice each day.

We enjoyed sitting in the beautiful garden reading or just soaking up the views. Apart from the hundreds of koi in the lakes, there is a very friendly duck that we fed with some of our bread from our breakfast in the morning. There was also a small family of moor hens. On Friday we were invited to the manager cocktail party where we enjoyed meeting the fellow guests and the management with some excellent bubbly and canapés.

We had an excellent holiday and we will certainly be back.

Room Tip: Room 8 has a beautiful view
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roonhols
Reviewed September 8, 2011

We stayed at the Monte do Casal for nearly a week in August. As it didn't meet our expectations we decided to leave a day early. The hotel prides itself on being n SLH hotel and the service of its staff was outstanding. Originally in room 14 (a twin) we spent the first night with the smell of sewerage coming from the bathroom. This was known problem so we were moved the next day and upgraded to a suite as was had become available (other guests left early). Even the suite had tatty furniture, ripped sun loungers and the carcasses of flies on the walls which had not been cleaned.

The food was lovely and the grounds were probably stunning once. They are still OK but everything needed a coat of paint and a wash with a pressure hose. The location was handy but you need a car. It was very quiet and the beds are comfortable. Breakfast was always brought to our balcony on time and was very nice. However, we had the end suite so the staff had to walk through a few other balconies to get to ours, disturbing the guests.

I wrote to the hotel (with numerous photos) before posting here but I have not received a reply. I have made SLH aware of the problem as the hotel claim that inspectors visited recently and I simply cannot believe that this is true.

• Stayed: August 2011
6  Thank MartinDXBxyz
MontedoCasal, Manager at Villa Monte do Casal, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2011

Dear Sirs,

I have read your comment and thank you for taking time listing the problems.
First of all my sincere apologies, I have noted the points you have raised and certainly we are solving this problemas as soon as possible.
I am very pleased to hear that you considered our service outstanding and you have enjoyed the food in our gourmet restaurant.
I am glad to know that you have been moved and upgraded to a suite when you felt unconfortable in room 14 (twin standard room), as well you enjoyed breakfast and that it was always served on time.
Some of the sunbeds fade in colour during the summer, however we have already painted the sundbeds.
Concerning to the staff walking through other balconies to serve breakfast, that just happens on the first floor of the hotel ( 3 rooms). One of our services is to serve breakfast on the private terrace of each room, but on the first floor this is the only option, if not the maids have always to enter inside the guest rooms.
I am surprised that you did not get any reply from us.
We confirm that we have received the vist from SLH inspectors this Summer.
All your points will be taken in consideration and the modifications will be done.
Thank you.
With kind regards,

Elsa Marta

Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stayed at Monte do Casal in August while visiting the Algarve. It is a beautiful escape, especially during the high tourist season of the summer. It is conveniently tucked away, yet a 20 minute drive from the beaches, a 45 min drive from Sagres. The staff is very accommodating - with food requests, as well as serving a gran breakfast in your room (we did not do this, but sounded amazing). Even if you stay in the main villa, you have access to the private villa pool/gym - with an infinity pool that has breath-taking views of the surround landscape. Make sure to set aside one day to lounge at the hotel and eat dinner at the amazing restaurant. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank uesjd
Reviewed August 22, 2011

we booked this hotel after looking at the web site,it looked stunning,and as it was 5 star and also part of the small luxury hotels of the world we booked a suite for 300 euro per night with breakfast
the room was ok,not particulary luxurios,a bit like your nans sitting room, the bed was comfy although it was two singles pushed together! REALLY annoying when you ask for a double,the terrace was very tired needing some paint and a sweep
the first night we ate in the hotel and i must say the food was lovely however our meal was spoiled by people smoking so we didnt linger it was a case of eat it and beat it
breakfast was deliverd on time but it was very basic and you have no choice you get what you get,another thing i found really strange is there is no room service exept for drinks and then only at certain times!
the hotels has two pools ther is one at the back of the grounds in front of a separate villa but if you want anything you would have a few minutes walk to your room or the bar, but even at the main pool next to the spa you still have to get dressed and go to the bar if you want a drink,and most times the bar was unstaffed the grounds where ok but not as we expected, the "lake" that turned out to be a pond, and not even a big pond! the breakfast is the same every morning,the lunch and dinner menu didnt change,not great choice,and with no roomservice you cant even get a snack if you dont feel like a big meal
in the evening there is nothing happening at the hotel ,20 min wait if you want a drink ,my dads nursing home has more going on!! we ended getting a taxi to vale de lobo every night (40 euro each way)
in the end we checked out early... it was very dissapointing, ,the staff were lovely ,but im afraid the level of service is very poor, we wont be going back

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank brannagan

I have read your email and I thank you for taking the time to list the problems.
I am very pleased to know that you had enjoyed your dinner. In our restaurant, according to the law, we operate a non smoking policy. Unfortunatelly, when dining outside, under the Pergola, we could not prevent fellow guests from smoking.
As in most hotels, all the rooms in the hotel have single beds, if some guest request a double bed we put the two single beds pushed together and we put a double sheets.
Regarding to breakfast, it includes orange juice; yoghurt; traditional swiss recipe muesli; alternating fresh fruit, croissants, bread, marmalade, jams and honey, ham and cheese; teas and fine coffee, you also have the possibility of having cooked breakfast like eggs and bacon, fried eggs, sausages, omelets. We change our breakfast menu every day, different kind of yougurths, cheese, bread, fruit.
We do offer room service and all our rooms have minibar with drinks and snacks.
We have a variety of dishes in our menus, we have more than 35 dishes in our lunch and dinner menus.
My sincere apologies and thank you for your comment.
Kind regards,