“The Best DMZ tour Mr Vue is fantastic”

Annam Tour - Day Tours
Ranked #3 of 18 things to do in Dong Ha
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“The Best DMZ tour Mr Vue is fantastic”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Truly the best DMZ tour. Me and a friend did this tour with Mr Vue and a driver in march im a military history buff love castles battlefields and such so i thought i would enjoy the tour of the DMZ and a trip to khe sanh being Australian and with the Barnsy song and such just something to say been there -) but i wasn't sure about my friend he appreciates history and such but wondered if he may find it a bit boring after all a lot of the sites are just old fire bases over grown and such..WRONG this is where Mr Vue comes in to his own compared to other guides he brings it all to life with his pictures his story's that might not be in the main guide books and his passion for history.My friend loved the tour .I know Mr Vue is better than other tours as we saw the big bus full of backpackers and such and a few other smaller tours scream past us a few times as we stopped at a few spots on the way to Khe Sanh and Mr Vue walked us off the road a bit to show us a site or point out a hill firebase that the the other tours obviously didn't care about .As mentioned he uses his i pad very well a few times he took me and my friend to a spot and said stand here and look that way and then pointed out a firebase and told us about it and some history then he would open up his ipad show us a picture taken from where we where stood but from back in say 1967 or so with the helicopters landing on said distant firebase wow it brought it alive made you feel a little like your where there .As mentioned yes it may cost a minimum of $120 for a group of two or more but it was well worth every penny for a once in a life time tour .You also get the full expertise of Mr Vue who is very friendly and likeable guide we spent a lot of the afternoon car trip quizzing him about Vietnam in general and custom's and cost of living and such and at no point did we ever feel like he was getting annoyed with all our questions he truly has a passion for history and teaching .Thank you Mr Vue for a highlight of our nrth vietnam trip and i may look you up if back that way as we joked about .I can not recommend Mr Vue and Annam tours highly enough.We even got mr Vue to supply his driver for our trip to Hoi An a few days later as his driver was excellent we felt very safe with him.Keep up the Awesome tours Mr Vue best regards Steve and Trent
p.s book early as he is booked out a lot

Visited March 2013

London, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“One of the best days of our trip”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

There is almost certainly no better DMZ tour guide than Mr Vu. If you want to understand the conflict - not just see the sights but put them in context, Mr Vu is the man for you. As a historian he has a complete understanding of the Vietnam war, from French colonial times through to the end of the conflict in the mid 1970's. He is also a very friendly, passionate and engaging chap. Through his understanding you get a sense of the suffering Vietnam and the Vietnamese went through and see the conflict from both sides. It also helps that Mr Vu has previously taken veterans of both sides on this tour (helping them make sense of the conflict - see some of the reviews below) and from them he has quite a few stories of what life was like for them during the conflict.
A private tour is always more expensive than a group tour. However, it really is money well spent. You get an air conditioned car with a good driver and Mr Vu - who is not only an excellent guide but because it is a private tour you get to have a conversation with him throughout the day. As others have mentioned, he brings along his iPad too which has some great old photos on to bring everything to life.
We arranged everything in advance via email and all went smoothly.
All in all a great day out - I could not recommend him more.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Chris B
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Excellent trip - Mr Vu rules!!!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have been really lucky to organise a trip to DMZ with Mr Vu. It all has been really great and well organised. It's a bit more expensive - we paid $60 per person - but it includes a private taxi all the way (with very good air-con and very good driver).

From the beginning of booking the trip till the end when they dropped us off we cannot find anything which we didn't like.

I would definitely recommend Mr Vu. DMZ trip is not about sights but about history and you need a good guide to explain it all to you. There is quite a lot of driving during the day but with Mr Vu it's not a problem. It helps a lot that Mr Vu uses an Ipad and during driving he starts telling you all the history so there is no time wasted. He shows you lots of original pictures and a few movies on the way to sights (which I have found very interesting and informative). It helps you to imagine what it was like in 1960-70 and by the time you arrive to the base you feel like you know it all (for me it was great experience).

Additionally Mr Vu helped us to catch a connection to Dong Hoi. Before we went I explained that we would do DMZ and after we would like to try to get to Dong Hoi on our route to Phong Nha. He organised a day in a way so we finished north on Dong Ha, dropped us off at the main road and he stopped a bus for us. 1.5h later we were in Dong Hoi. Perferct!!! No going back and forth to Dong Ha or even worse - Hue.

I think there is no point in doing this trip via organised trip from Hue. I have seen those, tourist are driven from one place to another without any explanation - If you can do it with MR VU!! It's worth every penny.

Visited March 2013
Ottawa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Dropped off the face of the earth”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was in contact with Mr.Vu a few months back to organize a full day tour in February. Everything seemed fine, we exchanged several emails, then I wanted to confirm my date and asked if I needed to pay in full or deposit and never heard from him again, despite several emails asking if he was already booked or if there was a problem. Very frustrating when he is obviously a great guide based on other reviews. Just a really bad case of customer service, and courtesy, in my case. I did find someone to organize me a tour from Dong Ha and would highly recommend contacting Tam from Tam's cafe for an alternative at a great price.

Visited February 2013
4 Thank lovadasun
Coventry
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Excellent Tour”
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

My Husband & I went on the full day DMZ tour on a terrible day, none stop rain. This however made no difference and it was our highlight of a 3 week holiday in Vietnam. The day was something my husband wanted to do as he has a good knowledge and keen interest in this area. I however know very little. The information provided was pitched perfectly for us both. Mr Vu is an excellent guide & I would not hesitate to recommend this tour.