“Decent, great location.”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Khammouane
San Francisco
“Decent, great location.”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We arrived at the hotel without a reservation and initially the frontdesk staff weren't overly welcoming, but they 'warmed to us' after a while :), and consequently became friendly and helpful.
The room was what was to be expected for this type of hotel: decent, ok size, standard bathroom, clean, comfortable, A/C. The whole hotel looked immaculate.
Most rooms have river views and some have balconies.
Good wifi in the room and common areas.
This is certainly the 'flashest' hotel in town and hopefully they can keep it up (maintenance will have to kick in though.... all was ok with our room but the tell-tale signs were becoming visible).
Slightly overpriced maybe.
Breakfast buffet selection was good.
Off street parking.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 21, 2014

This is probably the best hotel in Thakhek. At USD 65 per night it's reasonably priced, perhaps a tad expensive, but the rooms are clean and comfortable. The only downside, particularly if you're staying over the weekend, is the noise coming from the street side vendors stalls, along the riverfront, created by the locals as they party into small hours of the morning. I had to sleep with ear plugs.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the river front wing
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Yes, the hotel's position at the Mekong is o.k. I spent 4 days there in late October 2011 (28 Oct -1 Nov). But in comparison to the high price of 60 dollars per night for a simple room, the service performance was very low, bordering the unacceptable. In addition, the management violated contractual agreements concluded with me: Upon arrival I had cut my stay short one day (4 days in advance), from 5 to 4 nights. The female hotel owner/manager had agreed that there would be no cancellation fee (which Riveria Hotel usually charges for cancellations less than 7 days in advance) as I had frequented this hotel a couple of times before and because I argued that 7 days is an unusally long period for a hotel cancellation policy. After my return to Germany I found out that she had charged me for the cancelled day anyhow.
The unaceptable service performance started on Day 1 with check-in when hotel staff was unable to cope with a conference that took place at the same time: I had to carry my suitcase into the lobby and, after registration, to my room by myself. The room was small and noisy as it faced a buys night market street with boom boxes blaring beyond midnight. The bathroom had definitely seen better days, with mold collecting in the bathtub curves.
Breakfast the next morning at 7:45, Day 2, was coffee and omelette, no choice of bread, cheese or jam because - according to hotel staff "conference participants had eaten up the rest".
Later that day, water and coffee and fresh towels were missing in the room. House keeping didn't speak English and it took Reception almost an hour to provide the service. The same happened when I ordered food from the room service on Day 3.
In the evening, a group of 8-12 female and transvestite sex workers from Thailand occupied rooms on my floor, and there was a lot of shouting and banging on doors in the hallway, and noise from adjacent rooms. A pimp even knocked on my door and offered services at a minimum of US$ 500 which I declined.
This type of very bad service lasted until the very end: When checking out, the hotel was unable to print an invoice due to "problems with the printer". This is why I was not able to check my bill. As mentioned before, I later found out that the hotel had charged me for a cancelled day. Even though I communicated with the hotel and Booking.com a couple of times, the hotel and booking.com refused to pay back the charges for the cancelled day.

All in all, I will definitely not book Riveria Hotel any more. Due to missing support and goodwill from Booking.com I will also not do any business with this hotel reservation portal any more.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank ACT4u2013

Travelers are raving about these Khammouane hotels

Vientiane, Laos
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

A pleasant surprise along the Mekong River in Thakek. Nicely appointed rooms with great view of the river from the balcony. Polite staff who spoke English and a breakfast spread worthy of a hotel of this calibre. Would love to return for another visit.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed here for 7 nights and never had any major problems (our A/C broke one night, but they just moved us to another room. The staff was friendly, the service was good and the rooms were clean. The view of the Meekong was fantastic. And the view of Thahkek from the hallway was equally stunning. One tip, make sure you write down what you are paying for in kip when you eat at the restaraunt. Anything charged to the room they list in US dollars and then charge you a horrible conversion rate to kip. I was actually kind of peeved about this on check out. To be honest the accommodation options in Thakhek are fairly limited and this hotel was one of the top options in the area. At $50 a night it was a bit overpriced compared to other options like the Ithira.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed 1 night on 13 Aug 13. Arrived at 4.30 pm after a drive from Vientiane, and were shown to our room (room 5513) with no problems. On entry the room was like an oven – it was just a room, on the small side, nothing special – great view of the Mekong River 100 metres away. The balcony was useless. The air conditioner had little effect and we had to leave the room for the bar/foyer area, as soon as we could, to cool down. The bar staff were not that friendly, had poor English and were grossly undertrained. Ordering drinks was not easy. As a result we decided to take a tuk-tuk on a 7 kilometre ride around town, great value. On our return we went for dinner in the hotel dining room – we were the only people there. After being seated it was explained that the air conditioners on that side of the room did not work so we were repositioned to the other side. As the staff were the ones from the bar area ordering meals was difficult. We got thru our starter and main and were looking to order dessert. Unfortunately for us about 4 or 5 loud males (obviously drunk and with what appeared to be ladies of the night) arrived and received all of the staffs attention. As a result we went without our dessert. Breakfast was from a limited menu, acceptable and served in short time – the staff were far different from the night before.

The hotel needs a refurbishment, the air conditioners need to be overhauled and the staff needs more training.

What a let down from our stay at the Green Park Boutique Hotel in Vientiane. We would not recommend this hotel, however it is purported to be the best in town. Rating 5 out of 10.

Room Tip: If you must stay at the property, make sure the air conditioner works
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David F
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Riveria in Thakhek overnight for work. It is a reasonable hotel having stayed here a couple of years ago on a road lay over. It's centrally located with majestic views of the mighty Mekong however the rooms are old and the decor looks a bit cheap. But most importantly, it feels pretty clean. The rooms and bathroom are generously sized and have all your creature comforts - hot water, TV, A/C, hairdryer and ammenities.

It was an enjoyable stay with friendly staff and efficient checking in process (checked in at 12pm instead of 2pm) but with the price that I'm paying 58 USD, I feel there's not really a lot of value and I'm sure I can stay equally as comfortable for a lot less in the area. The hotel does have a gym (didn't go) and also a restaurant bar in the lobby which from a couple of years back was pretty decent (and reasonably priced food for a hotel).

Overall, comfortable stay but on the expensive side.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business