“A great place to get info for The Loop!”

and 1 more site!
Thakhek Travel Lodge
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We found it very difficult to get any info anywhere in Thakeat about doing the loop, wifi is practically non existent in the town (we heard just before we left that there is one restaurant that has it bunt the person telling us couldn't remember the name!!) We came from where we were staying to the Travel Lodge to use their Internet and get some food but the Internet wasn't working (is never working...) Luckily, other westerners planning/having completed the loop tend to stay here so we sat I the restaurant and chated with lots of people for a few hours about recommendations, experiences etc.. which proved invaluable as it was rainy season and all warnings/tips were gratefully accepted! There is also an excellent book at reception compiled by previous guests with extensive info and personal stories of their experiences of the loop. The Lodge also have a storage facility for backpacks (50,000kip for 3-4days) while you do the trip. A lot of people use Mr. Ku near the entrance to rent their bikes, but he tries to almost scare you into paying 10,000kip per day for bike with mechanical breakdown "insurance", but most of the pele we spoke to paid 60,000kip per day and had no problems. We spent one night in the Lodge when we came back from The Loop, food is nice and cheap (mixed veg salad and chicken fried rice were lovely!), people hanging out there are great, but rooms are not so great, shared bathroom facilities are quite good though.

Room Tip: We paid 60,000 kip for double room with fan and shared bathroom which was ok because we were tired b...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Thakhek Travel Lodge

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I was very disappointed in this guesthouse. I had been told so many nice things but for me it wasn't a great experience. The most annoying thing was the ordering system for food\drinks. You are asked to order then pay later, but when paid later you usually got another staff member at reception who didn't clear down the bill. I was asked every morning to pay for my meal again, even though I had paid the night before. It was obviously normal as they accepted my response. Try to get a receipt for all that you pay for. Secondly, I was in a room in what seemed to be an older part of the guesthouse. It had dirty sheets before I slept in the bed, but because you take your shoes off and the floor is dirty then these just get worse, so they are probably stained from other people. Try to ask for a room that is opposite the reception, they seem much nicer. I was also charged the same amount for a grubby room. On a general note all the tuk tuk drivers in this town play silly with the prices, (not uncommon) but particularly bad in Thakhek on my experience.

Room Tip: ask for opp reception
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The rooms aren't bad but what really kills is the trash service, lies, and scams. Three examples:

1) At the reception desk, there's a list of tickets they can get for you. On day one, I spoke with the guy that I needed an overnight ticket on the second night. He's like "no problem, we'll book it tomorrow." Well, this is Laos so okay. On day two, before I left for a tour from this company, I remind him again. He's like we'll book it when you come back. I come back, remind him again. He's like "got it." Well, next thing you know, I'm reminding him at 11 PM for my 1 AM bus, he realizes he forgot and then he's like sold out. WHAT THE HECK? My only option was to go to the bus station immediately and try and get a "local" bus.

2) The tour that I went with this company was sold to me falsely. He had originally said it was 300,000 KIP per person for 3 people if we just book the van or 400,000 KIP per person for 4 people and it would be all inclusive (included tickets, waters, minivan, lunch). So the 3 of us.. book the full price. Well, during the trip, we get taken to a restaurant and said that lunch is only 15,000 KIP. We look at the menu and there was NOTHING for 15,000 KIP. The cheapest one (basically just steamed rice) was 18,000 KIP. It was ridiculous. Anything remotely decent was in the 20,000-25,000 KIP range. We're talking small portion single dish kinda deal here. At no time did anyone mention lunch provided was only 15,000 KIP at a place where it would get you nothing. The two other people (who had been sold the trip separately) also mentioned they had no idea. We ended just completely paying for our own lunches and barely getting a partial refund.

3) So I had stayed one night, gone on the tour, and was planning to leave the second night on the overnight bus that I had been screwed out of. Before going on this overnight bus, I had said I wanted a shower. Reasonably, it costed money - only 10,000 KIP. When I mentioned that I wanted a shower, the guy tried to charge me a full night in the dorm vs just the shower price. Luckily, one of my companion's from the day's tour was there, mentioned that a shower should only be 10,000 KIP and I wasn't cheated.

So that's just a few examples. There's actually 2-3 more but i'm sure it's enough to demonstrate that this place is just terrible.

Stayed on 5/31/2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank E F
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I didn't like staying at the travel lodge. I slept in the dorm and the matrasses still had plastic around them, which was annoying. The light in the bathroom wasn't working so there were 3 showers without light. The bathrooms were dirty as well. I just stayed here one night but the staff was very helpful. Unfortunate the wifi had a malfunction the day I was there, but that wasn't there fault!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Irisecerise
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Don't believe the review in the Lonely Planet!! When you compare what is written in the guide book to what this place is actually like, its almost funny! Clearly since it received a good write up a few years ago and the falang have turned up in their droves, the owners have done nothing with the place and its descended into a bit of a dump. Rooms were very basic, with large windows and no curtains, communal bathroom and showers were dirty and didn't look as if they were cleaned regularly. Staff weren't very friendly or helpful either. Its also quite far out away from the town centre. If you're coming to Thakhek to do 'the loop' I wouldn't recommend hiring a motorbike from the place next door, instead head into town to Mr Wang Wangs - a cheaper rental place where the bikes are newer and in much better condition and the staff very friendly and helpful too.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed for one night as we arrived in Thakhek in the evening to start the loop the next day.
I'll start with the positives and there aren't many: the actual building is quite nice and set in pretty green sorroundings. The staff tried their best to be friendly and helpful despite their limited English skills. Our room was ok value at 80k per night and we met very nice fellow travelers.
Now the negatives: the whole building really needs attention, the toilets and showers are grubby and only one of the 4 or so showers had a working light, water is dripping everywhere and the matresses were uncomfortable (mine was still covered in plastic making it rather sweaty and 'crunchy').
The hotel is quite far out of town and the hotel management clearly thinks it can charge a premium for certain things because people have no choice: 20.000 kip per kg of laundry, 20.000 kip towel deposit (?!), 5000 kip bag storage charge etc
The food we had was terrible, coffee tasted of milky water and the baguette we got served was completely stale and not fit for consumption (bread in Laos always great so they clearly serve cheap old bread to save money). There is a definite air of 'we don't really care' about the place because they know people will just keep coming.
Finally, do not hire a motorbike from there. They charge an extortionate 100.000 kip per day, walk 10 minutes towards town and you can hire one from Wang Wang's for 60.000 kip per day, they were friendly and the motorbikes were great.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Having read about it being a good place to start if you intend to do The Loop, I headed there from the bus station. On arriving, the staff weren't particularly friendly or helpful, and the attached place to rent motorbikes seemed a bit expensive. The room was basic, and the lock didn't work properly, and the communal showers aren't great. On heading down to the main bit of town we soon realised this place is quite far away (we walked 30 minutes, then jumped in a tuktuk). In town we found a far friendlier and cheaper bike rental place (Mr Wang Wangs), infact the bikes were also newer and in better condition, the owner was really friendly. On returning from The Loop, we found somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Khammouane
The River Hotel
#2 of 8 in Thakhek
Sanhak Guest House
Sanhak Guest House
#3 of 29 in Khammouane

Been to Thakhek Travel Lodge? Share your experiences!