“MUST VISIT”
Review of Hotel Obermayr

Hotel Obermayr
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ebenau
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Our family stayed at 2 rooms, both clean and comfy, bathroom was clean.There was a bar downstairs so we thought it might be trouble at night, but actually NO.The food was very good (especially the deer meat) and kindly, Max the owner gave my young ones toys.Max was very helpful and kind.He provided us bikes to rent,and we explore a bit of the countryside, just down the road.But the bike trip can be hard for your kids, because Ebenau was invested by hills.The view was amazing, and we actually got a room that faces into the woods.It would be lovely to visit the hotel again.Sadly i only stay one night so it was a very disappointment when the place turns out to be a must visit place :(

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 21, 2012

When we first arrived to this hotel, I was very excited. The hotel was quaint and cute and in a beautiful location. The rooms were clean and very nice. I thought I'd done a good job picking a place for my family (my parents, my husband and my 2 young children) to stay. However, there is a restaurant/bar in the basement of this place, and on Friday night, there were people coming in to their rooms after 1am, making a lot of noise in the hallway and making dogs in rooms bark. On Saturday night, the entire place smelled like cigarette smoke, including our room that was 2 stories up from the bar/hotel. When we went down for breakfast in the morning, there was still a group of younger guys, drinking and smoking, that had very obviously been there all night. The second night was even louder and worse than the first night. And to top off our stay, someone wrote "[--] u" on the condensation on our car window that was parked outside the hotel all night. Overall, I was pretty disappointed with our experience here. We've traveled quite a bit in Europe with our young kiddos, and this place has lots of potential, but was very disappointing in the end.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lovemyflyboy
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We chose this area for a summer holiday because there are lots of things to do: the ice caves, the beautiful fresh water lakes, canyons, fantastic walking, swimming pools and, not least, the salt mines - the riches of which financed the building of much of the splendid city of Salzburg.

My wife, Alison, had enjoyed this region when she was in her teens and wanted to show it to our children of similar age. We are really glad we went and we are very glad we chose this great hotel.

The owner, Max, was ever so helpful from the first moment of contact, happy to provide plenty of information in advance by email. The same thing happened when we arrived, he had lots of leaflets for us about what we could do in the area.

As we had to book late, we started out with a few days in the more expensive rooms, which were lovely, so - having got a bit spoilt - we found the cheaper rooms somewhat cramped. But they were adequate and we were then able to have 3 rooms in a row on the rear of the hotel, facing the forest and not the road, which was a bonus. Not all the expensive rooms face the road but one of ours did.

We stayed all-inclusive which seemed very reasonably priced but the choices were limited. Bit like home really:-) The chef excelled at making soup, which was a regular starter, and all of us seemed to enjoy them, which came as a bit of a surprise.

For breakfast, there was plenty of choice, including eggs on request. I have read elsewhere in these reviews that the coffee was not good. I have to say this is a matter of taste because I liked it! Though I never use the little pots of what I think is UHT cream as I think they spoil it.

Lunches, on the AI package are of the "pack" variety which is a DIY task over breakfast and is the only area we didn't think was a great success. Depending on when you went down for breakfast, the availability of things to turn into sandwiches was variable. The staff always did their best to replenish but sometimes rolls were in short supply and it became a struggle to complete the task. It seemed to us that, if a pack lunch was offered, it should be effectively resourced.

Evening meals were generally delicious and the Friday night all-you-can eat buffet BBQ was great - and the BBQ was done by Max himself. The beer and wine was all good. We had one bottle of superb local red wine recommended to us to celebrate our anniversary and it was not expensive.

Some comment has been made about the smoking in the dining area. We don't like smoking indoors in restaurants and bars at all, and would prefer it not to be allowed, but I feel I should clarify that smoking is not allowed everywhere in the dining room, only near the bar and is glassed off from the main restaurant area.

The swimming pool is nice but the water was pretty cold. Unfortunately, it is shaded a lot of the time so it didn't seem to get much of a chance to be heated by the sun. Great for a refreshing dip and a few short lengths, but not a place to idle in!

It was Max and the staff that really made our stay a pleasure. While we were there, I also felt I made friends with Max's father who was often in the bar or seated at one of the outdoor tables. His English was good and my understanding is that it was he who initially created the hotel many years ago. No doubt Max has added a lot to it since those early days. His father (who I believe is also a Max!) has some great tales to tell.

Room Tip: Some rooms are on the road side (front) which can be a little noisy at night. The rooms facing the f...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Pervigilis
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stayed in a family room (2 teenagers) and found the facilities very clean and modern. We had a lovely balcony to ourselves- this is not the case for all the family rooms. We stayed 4 nights half board. The food was typical Austrian and very good. The staff were excellent. Our car broke down on our last day and although Max the owner was very busy cooking the all you can eat bbq he did not hesitate in helping us during our stressful time.
We would defiinitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2010

We spent 5 night on this hotel and it was very good.
Very kind staff who speak english and they were very friendly.
The rooms are not so big, rather functional and clean.
The hotel is very close to Salsburg and it's a very good point to start a nice trips in Salzkammergut.
We will suggest this hotel to our friends in Hungary.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Friendly staff and very functional and clean rooms. Location is around 15 min outside of Salzburg and surrounded by forrest, mountains and open fields. They had a pool although we did not use it because of the weather. Also it did not seem so child friendly. The restaurant served typical Austrian food, but not very glamorous. The family who owns the hotel and guests smoke in the restaurant area. At night time this can be a little too much but for breakfast it was okay. The coffee was terrible but on the other hand the beer was great :) Not sure I will go back to this hotel but it was not bad and suited us well.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2008

I stayed at this charming little hotel for six nights in late October of 2008. It is located in a beautiful little mountain valley just south of the village of Ebenau, located 17 km. E of Salzburg and 17 km. N of Hallein. The drive in both directions is very scenic, especially southwards towards Hallein, as you drive along the shore of a narrow mountain lake, similar in nature to a Scottish loch or Norwegian fjord.

The young couple, Max and Connie, who are the owners of the gasthof, are very friendly and helpful to visitors. There is a restaurant on-site which offers full meals in addition to a half-board plan. The breakfasts are simple but ample, with cold meats/cheese, bread/rolls, cereal, juice and coffee/tea. There are many trails for hiking in the area.

The only possible drawback is that having a car would be very helpful, although there is local bus service near the hotel. I believe the hotel offers a van service to the train station or airport.

I stayed in a nice single room with shower for €27 B&B, which is very affordable for the area around Salzburg. I highly recommend the Gasthof Obermayr!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ebenau
Gasthof Am Riedl
Gasthof Am Riedl
#1 of 1 in Koppl
Das Gruene Bio-Hotel zur Post
Hotel Stefanihof
Hotel Stefanihof
#7 of 12 in Fuschl am See
Schloss Fuschl Resort & Spa, Fuschlsee-Salzburg
Schloss Fuschl Resort & Spa, Fus...
#1 of 2 in Hof bei Salzburg
Sheraton Fuschlsee-Salzburg Hotel Jagdhof
Sheraton Fuschlsee-Salzburg Hote...
#2 of 2 in Hof bei Salzburg
MEININGER Hotel Salzburg City Center

Been to Hotel Obermayr? Share your experiences!