“Convenient for Conferences”
Review of Morogoro Hotel

Morogoro Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Morogoro
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I recently executed and held a conference for 60 participants at this hotel. We chose it based on our budget, location and the flexibility of the management. We had some billing issues that were quickly sorted but otherwise the hotel was a great place for holding a large conference in Morogoro. The food at the restaurant is authentic Indian cuisine. I highly suggest eating there!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a week in June 2013 and my general impression is that although there are some promising points, I will stay elsewhere next time.

Accomodation wise the rooms are very clean although small and the strange shape maybe makes them seem even smaller. The wardrobe took up a large part of the space in the room but there were no hangers, so it was a bit pointless. The desk is more of a dressing table and the stool is uncomfortable for long periods of work. The mosquito net was in good shape and staff came every day to tuck it in firmly and I had no problems with mosquitos.

The pool area is nice and except the weekends quiet. The restaurant is large and the food is generally good, although i was really bored of the breakfast after 1 week. I was really happy for the vegetarian options on the menu as outside it is hard to get away from the nyama choma. Some of the staff were really efficient and friendly - some less so. The wireless internet was hossibly patchy all week - some days I couldn't get any at all. If it really wants to be a business hotel it needs to increase the availability of bandwidth for guests and the printing/ photocopying faciltiies should be easier to access - not just in the manager's office. Also: Tzshs 2,000 - nearly £1 per sheet printed - pfffff...

A final point - the sleep quality was not good. The rooms are quite noisy, both with other guests' noises and staff noise from early in the morning. Music was generally playing from about 5.30am which is too early. There was also a bonfire nearly on some days and my room smelt of smoke for ages. I had to go out because I was finding it hard to breathe.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Emma J
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The best thing that could be done is to knock the place down and start again. It is situated on stunning land opposite the golf club and with views to die for. The grounds are shabby including a broken down truck for good measure. Rooms are passable but the mosquito net is built for a midget bed so you have to work out how to cover half the bed and cleverly I opted for the bed end. Bedding is ok, no complaints. The bathroom was shabby but the water lovely and hot with good pressure. Staff are friendly but have no training. The breakfast was very low brow but all of it was edible. I last spent a night in Morogoro over 10 years ago and to be honest it has not changed at all, which is bizarre when you consider the progress in upcountry towns like Arusha. I paid in TSHS so got a good price. If you only have dollars, you will get stung. I think I will try somewhere else next time although I liked the location very much.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here last week for 1 night. I had stayed here three years ago and although it wasn't all that great back then it was much better than it is now. The hotel is really run down now. I paid £70 per night. My cousin who is Tanzanian only paid 70,000 tzsh (around £35 per night). Prices are for bed & breakfast. Not one single meal that we ordered was good. The rooms are very old and have great big gaps under the door and allow an array of insects in. Someone came round to set down are mosquito nets but I'm not sure why she bothered as both our nets had great bigs holes in them. I went to bed with no bites and woke up with no less than 11! The breakfast was appalling and everything came with a good helping of flies. It is up-country so you have to expect their to be more than the fair share of creepy crawlies but there was no escape. The bathroom is also awful. On the plus the staff were really friendly and helpful however the managers walk around with sour faces, not welcoming at all. My final say - find somewhere else to stay.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Afshan B
Hamisi M, Manager at Morogoro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thank you very much for your review. It is very sad that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel this time. However, we have investigated your complains. In case of our pricing policy, we have rates for residents in Tanzanian Shillings and non-residents are charged in US Dollars. We do not charge in UK Sterling. In your case, we have seen that you have paid via credit card for your accommodation and restaurant extras. We do fumigate our rooms often to reduce the insects coming into the rooms but it is the rainy season and the insects have increased in numbers. We received your complain for the bed nets and have taken action immediately to change them so that other customers will not complain again. However, we are very sorry for what happened to you.
We still welcome you to Morogoro Hotel for your next visit and we are trying our best to improve on our services with your review as a guideline.

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is good I stayed for one night I booked a sweet executive room it has a sitting room and bed room and kitchen it was good and clean but expensive almost 100 $ including the break fast
The restaurant is good also they have an Indian food and its very good even the price is reasonable
But the service is slow a bit ...There is a swimming pool and music in the weekend it has a nice view of the Mountains

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were a group of 15 persons and had a night stop and dinner in this hotel on our way to Saffari at Mikumi National Park. The rooms were old dated, but clean.

The resturant was nice but they are good only in indian food. International / Pizza was just a waste of time and money. Also i found teh hotel way too expensive for the value of rooms as well as the stay. As we were staying for only 5 hours and had 7 rooms all together, USD 100 plus per room wasnt worthy.

Over all, its on good location, good for a night stop if you are planning to go for a saffari early morning.

Room Tip: Single rooms are sooo small and not a big difference in price for double. Take your soap and towels...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Life1062717
Reviewed February 25, 2013

i went to the hotel on the 22nd stayed there for one night , the place is beautiful from outside you would think the rooms will will be better looking , its a standard hotel the staff were friendly thats was nice , but the rooms mmm well let me put it this way if you are planning to go about your business outside the hotel and just sleep there then its fine , the rooms are too small the beds are not comfortable, they didnt have enough plugs to charge electronic devices irons , it was frustraiting .

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family