New Acropol Hotel
Jumia Travel
  • Bar/Lounge
Arc Hotel(Morogoro)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe ownerin townmultiple timesnice gardenlong driveuluguru mountainsmichelletanzaniacolonialexpatsstockfurniturevegetableshosts
Reviewed March 11, 2012

OK, having read the other reviews here, we thought we'd give it a go--thinking it would be charming in a quirky way.
It definitely has some potentially appealing quirks and character (the other review mentioning "faded glory" was apt), but overall the place is pretty sad. Issues:
* The owner/operator was difficult and unpleasant to deal with on the phone, was not very welcoming in person when we arrived, and didn't respond to multiple e-mails (though she did respond to the couple requests/questions we had).
* The place could stand a thorough cleaning, and there's a lot of junk around which could be thrown out. The towels, sofa, and closet in the bedroom are gross, and her dog peed on the floor in the bar while we were there.
* As regards eating, at least when we stayed there, the dining room was oppressively dark and empty, and not appealing. We decided to eat at the bar, which was a little better. The food itself was borderline inedible, unfortunately, though the Lonely Planet guide we had misleadingly called it "Nouvelle Cuisine." Arranging a glass of wine for us proved impossible (the beer we had instead was fine), though we overheard one of the owner/operator's friends asking the bartender to get a bottle out of a secret personal stash. And in a town with abundant access to beautiful fresh fruit they don't provide fresh fruit juice for breakfast.
On the positive side, the A/C and WiFi worked fine, the price is definitely low (Tsh65K/night), and the place is a short walk to the town centre (which we were told by a couple sources is safe in the daytime though not at night).
Be warned: Morogoro is a bit grim, and doesn't have a great deal to offer visitors. The mountains around are beautiful, though, and we had a good time and some nice interactions while buying some textiles in the market.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Malcolm75
Reviewed December 17, 2011

"Faded Glory" is the term that kept coming back to us. We saw so many little things that could be done to restore some of the class... not expensive re-fits, but just a thorough cleaning and discarding things too damaged to be repaired. I tried to take a nice picture of the garden and veranda - but couldn't. Too many old, broken things setting around, too much dirt... just a kind of lack of concern for the details. The interior could be warm and charming... but it is just tired.

We may have been there on an off day. It was Saturday night. Staff were helpful, though English was very limited. It seemed like only one other room had someone staying, and the young people on the veranda all disappeared right after we got there. We were the only people in the bar, in the restaurant, on the veranda... and even then, service was pretty slow!

But this is Africa. Our room ($35) was large and cheery and the air conditioner worked somewhat. The internet was down with no guess as to when it would be operating again. We had water. Food was better than OK... a pretty decent schnitzel and chipsi for me, French onions soup for She, a shared desert - a carrot-spice cake with a creme sauce, 2 beers - $12.00.

We didn't look at any other places in Morogoro... I think we'd head back to the New Acropol again now that we've seen some more rustic lodgings around Tanzania...

Room Tip: As with any hotel off the tourist trail, ask to see the room and question the price. Look at a couple of rooms before choosing. Make sure stuff works and cleanliness is adequate.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank idiotsabroad
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This past summer I spent two months in and around Morogoro, and the New Acropol Hotel was by far, my favorite discovery! I couldn't believe I spent nearly a month without stumbling into the friendly atmosphere, the greatest food in town, and the full bar.

Located an easy walk from the mountains and city center, you can do almost anything while staying here. The wonderful hotel owner will help offer suggestions and make arrangements for your free time in Morogoro. Mikumi National Park is an easy 1.5 hour drive from the Hotel, making for a delightful day trip to catch some scenery and wildlife!

The kitchen and wait staff are extremely friendly, always working with smiles on their faces. There is plenty of seating outside on the lovely veranda for those looking to enjoy the peaceful view of the mountain or the stars at night.

Just inside the front door is an amazingly fun bar area, with lounge seating and historical decor on all the walls- old African pictures, trophies, and large paper mache animals to name a few! Such a fun place to have a drink (or casual dinner) and imagine the stories the decor holds! This is the only place in town I could find to have a proper cocktail!

Step into the dining room for a more formal dinner or catered group meal and enjoy the high ceilings and, decorations and African materials.

The rooms are in the back, away from the road with another patio for relaxing on. The rooms are very clean with nice western toilet & hot water shower, mosquito nets, A/C, fan, TV with cable, mini-fridge, and desk in case you need to work! (and free wifi around the hotel for customers!)

You can also have a massage or pedicure/manicure while staying at the New Acropol Hotel! Although I didn't have time to take advantage of the opportunity myself, I heard great reviews from other customers!

The owner really topped the experience. Laughter can be heard throughout the lounge areas and customers are happy as the hotel provides a fun "home away from home" in Morogoro. I will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: Ask about the Family Suite!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank hdfrog5
Reviewed August 17, 2011

The New Acropol Hotel is a fantastic restaurant and hotel. Located near the center of Morogoro, it is in a prime location for experiencing the city and surrounding area.

The rooms of the hotel are nicer than any of the other hotels I saw in Morogoro. They are comfortable and with plush beds with mosquito nets, showers with hot water, televisions with cable, and mini-refrigerators they are outfitted with everything one needs to make the stay enjoyable.

I ate at the restaurant frequently during my two months stay in Morogoro. The food is excellent, and the chips and the mishkaki are the best I had in Tanzania (and I ate both all over Tanzania). The drinks are great, they have most of the local beers available as well as one of the largest bars I saw there. The hotel rarely experiences power cuts like the rest of the town, so you are guaranteed to get cold drinks when there.

I got to know the owner Michelle quite well when there. She is funny and a kind lady. She gave great advice on places to go and see in and around Morogoro including Mikumi National Park and places to see and stay in Dar Es Salaam. She has lived there for 28 years and knows the culture well. Her guests are well cared for, and I saw her go out of her way to get medicine and travel arrangements for her guests for trips that were well outside of Morogoro.

The New Acropol Hotel is highly recommended for both the hotel and the restaurant. You will miss out on your stay in Morogoro if you don't at least drop in for a drink.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jarrington08
Reviewed March 18, 2011

It's weird, when I booked this hotel there were only a couple hotels in Morogoro listed on Travel Advisor. There are a ton of hotels in Morogoro, so there are more options than you would expect.

This is a cool, funky place for travelers who understand African travel.

There's plenty of hot water in the showers. The beds were comfortable with the necessary mosquito nets (USE THEM). The courtyard is nice for your meals (plastic chairs and tables). The food is good and the beer is cold.

I love the front porch - great seating with big palms giving shade. If the dogs don't chew through the internet cord, you'll have wireless internet. The dogs did take the network down when I was there, but the owner kindly pulled out her laptop and got a wired connection working so I could answer some important email.

Everyone is great here - you'll find many repeat visitors... and this is where I'll stay when I return in August.

• Stayed: March 2011