“Favorite Place in Morogoro!”
Review of New Acropol Hotel

New Acropol Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Morogoro
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This past summer I spent two months in and around Morogoro, and the New Acropol Hotel was by far, my favorite discovery! I couldn't believe I spent nearly a month without stumbling into the friendly atmosphere, the greatest food in town, and the full bar.

Located an easy walk from the mountains and city center, you can do almost anything while staying here. The wonderful hotel owner will help offer suggestions and make arrangements for your free time in Morogoro. Mikumi National Park is an easy 1.5 hour drive from the Hotel, making for a delightful day trip to catch some scenery and wildlife!

The kitchen and wait staff are extremely friendly, always working with smiles on their faces. There is plenty of seating outside on the lovely veranda for those looking to enjoy the peaceful view of the mountain or the stars at night.

Just inside the front door is an amazingly fun bar area, with lounge seating and historical decor on all the walls- old African pictures, trophies, and large paper mache animals to name a few! Such a fun place to have a drink (or casual dinner) and imagine the stories the decor holds! This is the only place in town I could find to have a proper cocktail!

Step into the dining room for a more formal dinner or catered group meal and enjoy the high ceilings and, decorations and African materials.

The rooms are in the back, away from the road with another patio for relaxing on. The rooms are very clean with nice western toilet & hot water shower, mosquito nets, A/C, fan, TV with cable, mini-fridge, and desk in case you need to work! (and free wifi around the hotel for customers!)

You can also have a massage or pedicure/manicure while staying at the New Acropol Hotel! Although I didn't have time to take advantage of the opportunity myself, I heard great reviews from other customers!

The owner really topped the experience. Laughter can be heard throughout the lounge areas and customers are happy as the hotel provides a fun "home away from home" in Morogoro. I will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: Ask about the Family Suite!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank hdfrog5

Reviewed August 17, 2011

The New Acropol Hotel is a fantastic restaurant and hotel. Located near the center of Morogoro, it is in a prime location for experiencing the city and surrounding area.

The rooms of the hotel are nicer than any of the other hotels I saw in Morogoro. They are comfortable and with plush beds with mosquito nets, showers with hot water, televisions with cable, and mini-refrigerators they are outfitted with everything one needs to make the stay enjoyable.

I ate at the restaurant frequently during my two months stay in Morogoro. The food is excellent, and the chips and the mishkaki are the best I had in Tanzania (and I ate both all over Tanzania). The drinks are great, they have most of the local beers available as well as one of the largest bars I saw there. The hotel rarely experiences power cuts like the rest of the town, so you are guaranteed to get cold drinks when there.

I got to know the owner Michelle quite well when there. She is funny and a kind lady. She gave great advice on places to go and see in and around Morogoro including Mikumi National Park and places to see and stay in Dar Es Salaam. She has lived there for 28 years and knows the culture well. Her guests are well cared for, and I saw her go out of her way to get medicine and travel arrangements for her guests for trips that were well outside of Morogoro.

The New Acropol Hotel is highly recommended for both the hotel and the restaurant. You will miss out on your stay in Morogoro if you don't at least drop in for a drink.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jarrington08
Reviewed March 18, 2011

It's weird, when I booked this hotel there were only a couple hotels in Morogoro listed on Travel Advisor. There are a ton of hotels in Morogoro, so there are more options than you would expect.

This is a cool, funky place for travelers who understand African travel.

There's plenty of hot water in the showers. The beds were comfortable with the necessary mosquito nets (USE THEM). The courtyard is nice for your meals (plastic chairs and tables). The food is good and the beer is cold.

I love the front porch - great seating with big palms giving shade. If the dogs don't chew through the internet cord, you'll have wireless internet. The dogs did take the network down when I was there, but the owner kindly pulled out her laptop and got a wired connection working so I could answer some important email.

Everyone is great here - you'll find many repeat visitors... and this is where I'll stay when I return in August.

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank joesindorf
Reviewed September 16, 2010

The New Acropol is completely unlike any other hotel in Morogoro, full of character and a thoroughly interesting place to stay. Yes it has its quirks, but when you travel a lot and places start looking the same, accommodation like this is a welcome change. The rooms are large and uniquely furnished, the bar is convivial, the food is good, the prices are fair and the wi-fi works (good enough for Skype). The owners love their dogs and some of the fittings aren't exactly brand new, but that's part of the charm and regulars come back time after time. Take time to get to know the management and the history of the place, before writing it off (as some reviewers have without even spending the night there).

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Africahand
Reviewed September 7, 2010

After having emailed the hotel and not getting any responses for over 1 week, I decided to call the hotel to find out about prices and room availability. I have never had such a bad experience. I am a very polite and level headed person but imagine to my surprise the 'North American' sounding woman who answered the phone kept speaking over me, interrupting me and was in such a hurry to get off the phone that I felt I was inconveniencing her. I'm not sure if it was my 'African' sounding name or the fact that whomever answered the phone was having a bad day but I have never been so rudely spoken to in my life. I started to ask about prices and before I could complete my question/sentence, she interrupted with much ATTITUDE telling me "the room is $100 or more" - period - as if it's a deterrent from staying there. How humiliating! The decision was made right there and then. I did not stay at this hotel and neither did my other 2 friends whose business I was bringing with me. Stay at the Princess Lodge. Very clean, newly renovated, tidy and modern rooms. The owner (Zahra who also goes by Shangazi) is very polite and welcomed us to the hotel with open arms. Glad we didn't stay at the New Acropol. Best decision ever!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank fawazsuleiman
Reviewed August 20, 2010

This hotel offers quite good value for money (for Tanzanian standards). Rooms are large, cool and neatly furnished, although not exactly spotless. The house itself (which hosts the bar and restaurant area) is charming with lots of decor and adequate furniture as well as a nice garden along the main road. Food was definitely not great but from what I hear there are no better options in town anyway... Another slight disadvantage is the proximity to the noisy main road. Service was generally good and they were very quick in offering us another room when we discovered some hygienic flaws in the first one in which we had been put.

Overall we were pleased as the hotel is not as grim and bland as other choices that you usually find in this price range.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Weltwohnen10
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Having read and heard that the New Acropol in the centre of Morogoro was a charming place to stay, I was very disappointed that I could not contact the hotel to make a booking. We even tried through an agency as their website was down and no listed numbers worked. I reluctantly settled on a self catering cottage at Mbuyuni.
When we arrived in Morogoro I insisted we went to the Acropol for lunch. Wow - was I glad that we were not staying there. Although you could see the faded glory of the place and it certainly still qualified as eccentric, it was really grubby. I didn't see the rooms to be honest, but judging by the filth everywhere else, I would not imagine the rooms would be much better.
My vegetable curry may as well have been dishwater for all it tasted of. The rest of the families food was slightly more edible, but not very good. The European manager was very unfriendly and quite rude to my children who took an interest in the puppy she was nursing.
Mbuyuni on the other hand was gorgeous - what a find!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family