“Not a fan ”

Mount Livingstone Hotel
Mount Livingstone Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Mbeya
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here as it was the only place available for mynight before we went to zambia. Another hotel actually arranged this room for a friend and I because there was no space at her hostel.

We got there and spent nearly an hour trying to explain that we booked a room for 2 at a certain price and they refused to believe it.. they called the place that booked our room and eventually we negotiated to a price 10,000tsh higher than promised and they wouldn't turn on our hot water.

Staff mostly didn't know English, and the lady at the front desk was rude. The manager was amazing though and he definitely was the reason I didn't leave the place feeling extremely bitter.

We had meals at night, I had pizza and my friend had the wings and both were good. The breakfast on the other hand consisted of leftover corn, plain pasta noodles, green beans (I think) and some cut up bananas... for breakfast... no thanks.

The bed was as hard as a rock and my headboard had a bloody fingerprint on it... Needless to say I will not be staying here again.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Mount Livingstone Hotel

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Friendly, but needs an influx of cash. Was almost empty, and with so few people, it is not enough to keep the place going in the style it could be. Time was when it was the only smart hotel in Mbeya, but there is lots of competition now, and it has failed to keep up. It has bags of character, but could be so much better.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Eve J
Reviewed October 3, 2013

On a recent trip through Africa we referred to trip advisor for a place to stay overnight in Mbeya (the first large town after leaving Malawi for Tanzania) First of all the Hotel is difficult to find and on a bad road. We were two couples travelling through Eastern Africa and although we camped often when we were just passing through (1 night) we looked for lodge or hotel accommodation. We were the only guests in the hotel and because we arrived a little late decided to eat there as well. Certainly not worth the money we paid!! The rooms were not too bad although the sheets and towels were worn and threadbare. The bathroom was a disgrace. Black mould growing in the grouting between the tiles and every time the toilet was flushed the bathroom was flooded. Initially no hot water. Breakfast was a shocker. I, like Vikingsven feel very sorry for the staff because they were friendly and tried their best. Obviously the owner/s have no interest in upgrading or improving the hotel at all. Its a pity because there are'nt many accommodation options in Mbeya!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Leoneady
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I loved my time here, he staff were super friendly and so helpful. They walked me to the bus station to arrange tickets and when it was dark, the manager sent someone to buy me phone credit so I would not be walking alone. The room was clean and nice, hot showers and even a television! I booked the cheapest room there at 40,000 shillings and I was very impressed. I must admit though I am not high maintenance and the previous place I looked at had squat toilets and not internet - it was half the price though...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Meaghan G
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We stayed one night in this Hotel and I almost feel sorry for the people working there since the place has got a feel of resignment to it.

At first, the road down to the hotel is in such state I thought we'd wreck the car. The car made it, but that was just luck. The hotel itself looks ok from the outside and we were only staying for one night so I guess we were both thinking, how bad can it be ?

I think we were the only ones staying in the hotel that night, maybe someone else, but there were noone to be seen in the bar or the restaurant so we chose to go to town and eat. The hotel has no gate which in Africa is pretty normal considering the theft risk. They have an askari (guard), but it didn't feel safe.

The room was totally worn down and the curtains must have been peaking around 1970 (see photo), That's rather amusing though, but what's not so amusing is stained sheets and dirty bathroom with broken tiles and of course no hot water.

Breakfast with untoasted toastbread, no butter, no jam, banana, water melon and scrambled eggs. Coffee and Tea,. I'm really not fuzzy, but it just wasn't good enough, sorry guys.

Having complained about this I also want to give credit to the receptionist and the guys working there since you were all very friendly and did your job perfectly. Had our car windows washed in the morning too !!!! I just think you're caught in a vicious circle now of less and less clients coming making it harder to get the money in needed to make this the place it should be.

With money and initiative this could be turned into a really good place in Mbeya.

While I'm at it, I used to live in Mbeya 30 years ago and I'm very disappointed to see what a dump it has become considering what a lovely place it used to be. By allowing this city more or less to move down to the main highway it has killed the good old town of Mbeya and now the whole place unfortunately looks abandoned.

Sorry Mbeya, pole sana.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vikingsven
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I have returned to this hotel three times now over the last two years for over night stops before catching or arriving by bus.I was traveling with my guide (and friend) Jordan www.africanlifetours.com
The staff are great and even remember me!
It's very much a business type hotel but it is clean and safe. The food is good too but you have to wait ages, a better place to eat is out of the gates and turn left up the dirt track and eat at the cafe at the top of the hill, good cheap Tanzanian food and beer!
The hotel is not far from the bus station, just walk up the hill to where there is a fork in the road (there is some sort of monument in the middle of the road), take the right fork and go down the dirt road hill, hotel is at the bottom.
Jordan says he never books as there is always plenty of empty rooms, something that will change I'm sure when the airport eventually gets finished and people discover the joys of the southern highlands.

Room Tip: I have stayed there in Aug. and April and both times it seem pretty empty so you can take your pick.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank alibiWiltshire
Reviewed April 15, 2011

This place is very old fashioned – I think they believe the heavy décor makes it “posh” but really it just looks old, dark & dated. We had a deluxe double and the rooms are nice enough with a couch, table, dressing table & desk. The bathrooms are the worst part, very old & the bath/shower flooded the floor every time. The room was clean & there was hot water – our first in 4 days! Garden a bit over grown & the tables & chairs too dirty to use. The staff were helpful, the menus were disgustingly filthy but quite extensive. The meals were average, they have a strange set up of bringing it out on a metal plate & then transferring it to your plate in front of you. This didn’t help with the temperature of the food. It is in a very good position with an easy walk to town with plenty of banks, mobile phone shops & convenience stores.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple