River Cottage
Riverside House Hotel(Ashford-in-the-Water)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshomemade breadbed and breakfastfull englishattention to detaillovely foodthoroughly enjoyed our stayrelaxing weekendplaces to visita lovely stayjamswalksashfordpeaks
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at River Cottage over Easter Weekend. Perfect location for walking in the Peaks, lots to choose from leaving right from the front door! Hosts were charming, helpful, knowledgeable and cooked awesome breakfasts!
Our room was beautifully decorated, with lovely little touches and a great rain shower.
Would absolutely recommend a stay at Gilly and John's lovely peaceful cottage.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed at River Cottage for 3 nights over the Easter weekend. Our bedroom was beautiful - the bathroom was not en-suite, but that didn't really affect us. We received a really warm welcome, and lots of recommendations from John and Gilly as to walks and local pubs to eat in.The B&B is very close to the A6, and there is a little road noise from the B&B - it certainly didn't keep us awake though! The B&B is ideally located for some beautiful walks - it's on the Monsal Trail, so you don't even need to use your car. Overall a very warm welcome, and a great location.

Room Tip: We stayed in the bedroom with an en-suite - I think this is the only room with a bath.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here at the river cottage for 2 nights . Absolutely beautiful room , everything looked immaculate and the bathroom beautiful too , stayed in the superior . John and gilly were so helpful and fantastic hosts . The breakfast was fantastic . We ate in the 2 local pubs , both meals were really good . And very reasonable prices . We are hoping to return in the summer for a short break

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed at River Cottage for three nights hoping to escape London for a while. It was everything I hoped for - warm welcome, comfortable spacious room and magnificent bathroom, beautiful location, good public transport and lovely breakfasts. It's a warm well-lit house well furnished. I particularly enjoyed the locally sourced food, the home-made preserves and fresh granary bread. Leaving milk in a fridge for the guests was a lovely touch for those like me who hate the taste of UHT milk! I appreciated the advice about local attractions after John had first established my interests in the area. Thank you Gilly and John!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed at River Cottage with my wife for a couple of nights at the beginning of December. It was the last weekend that John and Gilly were open this year.

The cottage is very well decorated and appointed. It was just the place that I had in mind for a peaceful weekend away. It is great for couples and groups of adults, but I am not sure that it would be the right place for a young family.

As it was a cold and icy weekend in December, we did not venture into the garden. I am sure that it would be a very peaceful place to sit on a warm evening with the River Wye babbling past. The river was racing past when we were there.

If you are of the walking persuasion, then there are good walks to take straight from the door of the B&B. The Monsal trail is nearby and it is a good walk to Chatsworth House, via Bakewell. You can borrow walk directions and even an OS map from the B&B.

Breakfast was a real treat. There was a good variety of breakfasts on offer from a full English (all local produce) to Salmon and eggs, All of this was cooked to order.

Eating in the evening is simple. There are two pubs in Ashford. The walk to them is about 5-7 minutes. We ate in the Bulls Head as it was a warm and cosy pub. The food was good and reasonably priced. There are other options nearby if you wish to drive.

I am sure that we shall be going back again soon.

Anyone reading my reviews may wonder why most of them get 4 or 5 stars. This is because of careful selection of hotels and B&Bs using TripAdvisor reviews. This B&B is one to visit if going to the Peak District.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple