“Look beyond the facade.”

Riverside House Hotel
“Look beyond the facade.”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed here for one night and our first impressions on arrival were good. It is a beautiful old building, supposedly an old hunting lodge and part of the Chatsworth estate. The downstairs areas were charming with antique furniture. Unfortunately, that's where it ends.
Alarm bells began to ring when we were asked at check in if we would like to stay another night which we found a little odd as we hadn't even been shown our room. We said we would think about the offer.
Our room was tiny and crammed with reproduction furniture and had the smallest 'double' bed we have ever seen. We were shown the extras ( biscuits, sherry, chocolates , some sort of Bombay mix and fruit) the best of these being the chocolates as they were wrapped. There were fruit flies on the 'fresh' fruit, the sherry was suspiciously weak, the Bombay mix had clearly been there for some time and tasted off, whilst the substantial amount of crumbs at the bottom of the biscuit tin suggested it had not been emptied from the last guests, or even the ones before those.
We agree with other guests who mentioned the cleanliness of the rooms. The carpets were dirty and stained and we too had plenty of cobwebs to see as we attempted to sleep under the canopy over the bed. When we turned the bedspread down, there was what looked like red wine stains on the underside with the addition of a few blood stains to boot. Even with the window open all night, the room was so hot that we simply could not sleep. Our room looked out over a passageway between two houses and here we found a huge extraction duct which was connected to the ovens in the kitchen below our room. This fired up at around six thirty in the morning and didn't stop until after eleven at night.
So, breakfast.....
How odd that there was no buffet table where we could make our own selection.Instead, a surly waitress asked us to choose each item from a menu to be brought in turn. If you are expecting a full English breakfast as part of your stay, which we were, then expect to pay another seven pounds each for this. On the menu was a cheese board and when we asked what was on it we were told 'cheese' which put us in no better mood after very little sleep. The surly waitress had to then go along and check with the chef as ' they just put out what they want to'.
We were given one croissant and one slice of toast each and we were never offered either more tea or coffee.
What is clearly obvious here is that this place is riding on its history and location whilst basic cleanliness and lack of attention to details are ignored. It's a shame. We won't be returning.
On a better note, the Bulls Head pub in the village is a great place to eat and we spent a lovely evening there chatting with the locals and sampling some fine ales. The food is delicious and very reasonably priced, unlike the Riverside. It's a shame that they don't have accommodation.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank RGW1967

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My other half and I spent a Saturday night here with friends on a dinner,bed and breakfast deal.we had the Mulberry Room which was gorgeous. Exposed beams and rafters, fabulously comfortable bed, double ended pedestal bath and lots of lovely touches..biscuit tin, chocolates, fresh milk for the tea tray. After a leisurely drink in the lounge (wish it had been cold enough for the fire to be lit) we had a delicious dinner. Great service. Relaxed atmosphere. Breakfast was yummy. Didn't want to check out. Two nights next time!

Room Tip: Various sizes and prices..Mulberry room gorgeous
3 Thank Michaela4242
Derbyshire
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We recently enjoyed an excellent 'set' lunch at the Riverside - in elegant surroundings and served with style. A beautiful place to relax and unwind, combining old-fashioned service with modern efficiency. Views from the bridge over the river are delightfu, as is the whole village of Ashford. lWhat a find and what a bargain!

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Thank you to all the staff for making our 6th visit to the Riverside as special as the first. Room was spotless (as always) meals were well prepared and presented well with good choice (our thanks to the chef who even adapted a meal for Steve as he wanted fish but dislikes cheese) Thank you for the warm welcome from all of the staff who are a wonderful team from morning to late evening with nothing being of trouble to them. Looking forward to our next visit in December. If you like fine dining it is a great place to stay.

3 Thank Maureen342
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was really looking forward to my stay at The Riverside House Hotel. As mentioned by someone else the room although comfortable obviously hadn't been cleaned. On to the main event the evening meal. Such a disappontment. I actually couldn't eat my main course. The pork was tough and dry and tasted as if it had been cooked earlier and reheated, the vegetables were sad and again seemed to have been around a while. I told the waitress why I hadn't eaten my meal and she said she would tell chef. The waitress returned and said that chef denied that the food had been reheated, I wasn't offered an alternative or really an apology, they obviously didn't want a fuss so it wasn't mentioned again by either the waitress, the chef or the manager. This is certainly no way to treat customers, especially when we were paying a substantial amount of money for the meal. A shame, it really soured our evening and consequently our stay.

2 Thank Jenny B
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

After seeing the latest review for the hotel - i.e. Orchid room, I simply had to add my review as we stayed in the same room.
Firstly, the room was definitely not clean. 9 cobwebs complete with spiders at various points around the room. Carpet stains abounded & the bathroom sink doesn’t match the cabinet it’s housed in, consequently there is standing water around the basin once you’ve used it. Sealant is coming away from around the bath leaving unsightly gaps.
One thing to bear in mind is that it is physically impossible to see the river from your outside table as it is above eye level! You have to climb up the steps to get on top of the flood bank to see it. It’s nice when you get to see it but come on! It cannot be described as breathtaking – it’s the river Wye for goodness sake!
Some of the fruit in the room was on the turn & while the sherry & nibbles were a nice touch – they should be concentrating on getting basic hygiene in order first.
There is a copy of the good hotel guide or best loved hotel guide? Strategically left in the room & the ‘hotel’ is in there but it is an out of date copy & I doubt whether it would get in the current version.

This trip was a surprise for my wife as it was our anniversary & I wanted it to be special & memorable. It was definitely memorable at least, but for all the wrong reasons.
We paid £250 for BB & D.
The evening meal was £90 so we were expecting something a little special for such a premium price.
I had Duck to start – my first point is that they should advertise it as a cold starter – then I wouldn’t have ordered it.
So, I had 4 small pieces of stone cold duck arranged in a nice little pattern but it was 95% raw! I had half a mouthful – revolting.
Main was venison – this was only about 40% raw – why do chefs (including pretentious ones) assume that all people like pink (i.e. raw) meat? I ate about 60% of this – the cooked bits - & it was lovely so I was a starter down & 40% short of a main at this point.
The sweet course – apple crumble & warm Stilton – both of which I adore.
An unusual combination, yes, but the chef must know what he’s doing, right?
I’m 56 years old & I can safely say that this was the vilest tasting concoction I have ever tasted in my life. The apple filling was too tart, the ‘crumble’ simply wasn’t & to add Stilton made the dish inedible.
The wife’s food was fine – nothing special (& not worth £45!) – but at least it was edible.
Pros:
Canapés were nice (but didn’t understand the jelly things in between courses?) & the different breads on offer were very tasty (and a godsend as I used them to fill me up).
Don’t be one of the last in for breakfast either, as they tend to forget about you & we resorted to getting more toast off another table, unfortunately we couldn’t do that with the tea, so one pot it was then.
Dinner staffs were very attentive, unlike the breakfast staff.

So, if you’re not fussy about room cleanliness & decor & you don’t mind raw food & weird culinary couplings – (which may taste wonderful in a parallel universe but not this one) by all means give it a go.
Personally, I’ll never visit the place again but I would like to thank the owners for making our trip memorable.
I’m sure they check review sites like this one & I suspect that is why the September 2nd review appeared because they knew we hadn’t enjoyed our stay – even though we weren’t asked & wanted a positive review in place just in case we posted a true reflection of the place or is that a little cynical?

Overall: Very poor value & overpriced by a long way.
Location is lovely as a base for exploring.
Sleep quality was great, very comfortable, everyone slept great – me the wife & all the spiders.
Rooms – they need to get the basics right.
A word about the reviews, we stayed there on the 31st August & the September 2nd reviewers supposedly also stayed in August – which is impossible – otherwise they would’ve seen what we saw?
If they stayed the day after us, then the owners must’ve thoroughly cleaned the room in one day & simultaneously raised the outside patio & table so you could see the river! Mmm - you think?
I don’t know the definition of a B & B and a hotel, but this is definitely NOT a hotel. It is simply a B & B with illusions of grandeur; especially about it’s food.
Surprisingly, it is voted 3rd out of all establishments in Ashford. Unsurprisingly, there are only 2 others.

Room Tip: Check the room first.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Philip S
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Quality..... We were put onto this gem by it's sister hotel in the area because we wanted to stay a few more nights in the area. The room and the finishing touches were superb, bed was almost as comfy as my own! The meal we had in the evening was quality it's not cheap but you leave the room happy and felt you got value for money. The staff were brilliant, my only slight criticism was the breakfast, not the best I have had.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a tip, the rooms we saw were all quality
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford-in-the-Water
Bagshaw Hall
The Lathkil Hotel
#1 of 1 in Over Haddon
East Lodge Country House Hotel
The Izaak Walton Hotel

Been to Riverside House Hotel? Share your experiences!