“Good but poor room”

and 1 more site!
Riverside House Hotel
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Riverside Hotel is a beautiful property in a lovely setting. We stayed for one night in July 2013 on the spur of the moment. Cost was £240 for dinner, bed & breakfast for two. Dinner was very good with excellent helpful staff and the restaurant, bar area and lounge are lovely rooms. They advertise dinner at £45 pp meaning that the room with breakfast is £150. We had the Greenfinch room and this was definitely a let down from what we expected for the price. The room is sorely in need of refurbishment, it was small and inexcusably dirty in places. Also the bed was the most uncomfortable place I have ever tried to sleep! We have stayed in much nicer rooms for similar or less cost elsewhere. A bowl of fruit and glass of sherry in the room, whilst nice touches, do not compensate for very tired decor, lack of cleanliness and a sleepless night!

This is a shame because everything else about the place is very nice indeed. Maybe we were unfortunate but if you go, don't accept the Greenfinch room ..........!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Charliemacclesfield1

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Riverside House Hotel is a beautiful, small hotel the quaint village of Ashford-in-the-Water in the Peak District National Park, an ideal location for touring the area just a few miles north of Bakewell, the main centre.

The staff are very welcoming and couldn't do enough for us, our room was beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean with lots of extra touches and attention to detail. The bed was very comfortable, we slept very well.

Breakfast was scrumptious and freshly cooked to order and the evening meals delicious, well cooked and well presented; first class.

Within a few miles of Bakewell there are a number of attractions for everyone. We visited the famous Chatsworth House & Gardens, well worth going to, .a real English house, the stunning Blue John Mines, the beautiful Derwent Valley & Dam with it’s the Dambusters Museum and the Heights of Abraham near Matlock that is accessed by cable cars.

Ashford in the Water makes a great base for lovely walks and touring the area.

Riverside House is a beautiful, small hotel, an ideal location for a short break and thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: Ashford in the Water makes a great base for lovely walks and visiting the Peak District National Par...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jo B
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We looked for somewhere nice within easy reach of Chatsworth, and found The Riverside.

Some hotels look good but don't live up to expectations - definitely not the case here. The welcome was warm, the room comfortable and the fruit bowl appreciated. After a stroll round the attractive village we bathed and changed for dinner and enjoyed the complimentary sherry.

The dinner menu was short but that is, in my experience, a good sign. By contrast the wine list was long and comprehensive. Our only complaint was that with the food too good to resist, we simply ate too much - the chocolates served with coffee in the lounge afterwards were the last straw.

The breakfast part of ‘bed and breakfast’ is toast and croissants. There is hot, and excellent food available at extra cost and I did not begrudge the cost of smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. If I had not been on a ‘bargain’ deal, I would have expected the cooked breakfast to have been included.

This hotel seems to have wildly differing reviews but I can only say what I found. This is a small hotel in a very quiet location and within easy reach of all that the Peak District has to offer.

1  Thank Bob_Hughes_66
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My partner and I were staying in the local area and popped in for dinner. The hotel is set in a beautiful location close to Bakewell. The staff were extremely helpful and welcoming and the wine list was impressive (about 265!). Having read previous TripAdvisor reviews and perused the menu we were anticipating a good meal... sadly we were disappointed. My partner summed up the starters: "well, the rocket was nice..." although says his steak was one of the best he has ever had. My main was let down by overcooked meat and undercooked veg. The desserts were averagely good. For over £100 (with only one small glass of wine) we expected better. In summary, excellent hosts let down by the food. I hope for the benefit of Jo and her team our poor dining experience was a one-off.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Went back to the Riverside for our 6th visit on Saturday 22nd June after phoning them on the Tuesday previous to see if there was availability.

Once again, we were greeted in a warm and friendly manner shown to our usual room and we are made to feel so at home here.

Dinner in the evening was superb and the lemon sole we both had for our mains was cooked to perfection. Again the service was amazing.

Breakfast was as usual lovely.

If you want a relaxing weekend break I would certainly recommend the Riverside as it is a beautiful hotel with great food and exceptional staff who will do anything to make your stay enjoyable.

We really do feel that the Riverside is our 2nd home in the UK and we look forward to going back again in August and September this year.

1  Thank BLTN477
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I got married here last June, and what can I say... It was perfect! We had a small intimate wedding but Dee and Jo helped sort everything brilliantly, and I can safely say they made the day go off without any hiccups (that I'm aware of anyway!)
The venue gave us the most stunning photos as the gardens are so pretty. Great food and nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff.
Can't wait to go back for our anniversary!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank MrsB2906
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Many years ago I treated my Mum and Dad to a pre-Christmas Sunday lunch at the Riverside. I have such wonderful memories of that meal. Sadly Dad isn't around anymore but I wanted to treat my Mum to a birthday lunch, so I decided to book a table here again.

We had the set 3 course meal (£15.95) and the food was nice, but it didn't wow me. We ate in the conservatory (not the lovely room we'd been in last time), which overlooked the car park, had condensation on the windows, and generally reminded me a bit of being in an old people's home because of the old fashioned plants / wicker seats.

At the time of booking, I let them know that it was Mum's birthday. Unfortunately that wasn't mentioned at any time during our visit, which was very disappointing.

I'm afraid that I won't be returning.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank U2fan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford-in-the-Water
Bagshaw Hall
#1 of 2 in Rowsley
Cavendish Hotel
Cavendish Hotel
#2 of 2 in Baslow

Been to Riverside House Hotel? Share your experiences!