“Beautiful, small hotel, ideal location for a short break”

Riverside House Hotel
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful, small hotel, ideal location for a short break”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Riverside House Hotel is a beautiful, small hotel the quaint village of Ashford-in-the-Water in the Peak District National Park, an ideal location for touring the area just a few miles north of Bakewell, the main centre.

The staff are very welcoming and couldn't do enough for us, our room was beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean with lots of extra touches and attention to detail. The bed was very comfortable, we slept very well.

Breakfast was scrumptious and freshly cooked to order and the evening meals delicious, well cooked and well presented; first class.

Within a few miles of Bakewell there are a number of attractions for everyone. We visited the famous Chatsworth House & Gardens, well worth going to, .a real English house, the stunning Blue John Mines, the beautiful Derwent Valley & Dam with it’s the Dambusters Museum and the Heights of Abraham near Matlock that is accessed by cable cars.

Ashford in the Water makes a great base for lovely walks and touring the area.

Riverside House is a beautiful, small hotel, an ideal location for a short break and thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: Ashford in the Water makes a great base for lovely walks and visiting the Peak District National Par...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jo B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We looked for somewhere nice within easy reach of Chatsworth, and found The Riverside.

Some hotels look good but don't live up to expectations - definitely not the case here. The welcome was warm, the room comfortable and the fruit bowl appreciated. After a stroll round the attractive village we bathed and changed for dinner and enjoyed the complimentary sherry.

The dinner menu was short but that is, in my experience, a good sign. By contrast the wine list was long and comprehensive. Our only complaint was that with the food too good to resist, we simply ate too much - the chocolates served with coffee in the lounge afterwards were the last straw.

The breakfast part of ‘bed and breakfast’ is toast and croissants. There is hot, and excellent food available at extra cost and I did not begrudge the cost of smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. If I had not been on a ‘bargain’ deal, I would have expected the cooked breakfast to have been included.

This hotel seems to have wildly differing reviews but I can only say what I found. This is a small hotel in a very quiet location and within easy reach of all that the Peak District has to offer.

1 Thank Bob_Hughes_66
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My partner and I were staying in the local area and popped in for dinner. The hotel is set in a beautiful location close to Bakewell. The staff were extremely helpful and welcoming and the wine list was impressive (about 265!). Having read previous TripAdvisor reviews and perused the menu we were anticipating a good meal... sadly we were disappointed. My partner summed up the starters: "well, the rocket was nice..." although says his steak was one of the best he has ever had. My main was let down by overcooked meat and undercooked veg. The desserts were averagely good. For over £100 (with only one small glass of wine) we expected better. In summary, excellent hosts let down by the food. I hope for the benefit of Jo and her team our poor dining experience was a one-off.

Lancashire
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Went back to the Riverside for our 6th visit on Saturday 22nd June after phoning them on the Tuesday previous to see if there was availability.

Once again, we were greeted in a warm and friendly manner shown to our usual room and we are made to feel so at home here.

Dinner in the evening was superb and the lemon sole we both had for our mains was cooked to perfection. Again the service was amazing.

Breakfast was as usual lovely.

If you want a relaxing weekend break I would certainly recommend the Riverside as it is a beautiful hotel with great food and exceptional staff who will do anything to make your stay enjoyable.

We really do feel that the Riverside is our 2nd home in the UK and we look forward to going back again in August and September this year.

1 Thank BLTN477
Derbyshire
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I got married here last June, and what can I say... It was perfect! We had a small intimate wedding but Dee and Jo helped sort everything brilliantly, and I can safely say they made the day go off without any hiccups (that I'm aware of anyway!)
The venue gave us the most stunning photos as the gardens are so pretty. Great food and nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff.
Can't wait to go back for our anniversary!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank MrsB2906
Derby, UK
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Many years ago I treated my Mum and Dad to a pre-Christmas Sunday lunch at the Riverside. I have such wonderful memories of that meal. Sadly Dad isn't around anymore but I wanted to treat my Mum to a birthday lunch, so I decided to book a table here again.

We had the set 3 course meal (£15.95) and the food was nice, but it didn't wow me. We ate in the conservatory (not the lovely room we'd been in last time), which overlooked the car park, had condensation on the windows, and generally reminded me a bit of being in an old people's home because of the old fashioned plants / wicker seats.

At the time of booking, I let them know that it was Mum's birthday. Unfortunately that wasn't mentioned at any time during our visit, which was very disappointing.

I'm afraid that I won't be returning.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank U2fan
Hunstanton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This was my second visit to The Riverside, and once again my wife and I were not disappointed. The staff cannot do enough for you (thank you Jo and Christina) and as for the food, well it is of the highest quality. It speaks volumes when the Head Chef has been in residence for 15 years! The rooms are well furnished made all the better by the "extras" fresh fruit, sherry and chocolates (always Thornton's). Add to this the hotel is so well situated for the likes of Bakewell, Ashbourne, Buxton and of course Chatsworth and you would be hard pushed to find a better hotel in all of the Peak District! Some recent reviews have been a little negative about one member of staff, I can safely say she has gone! There is nothing negative to say about The Riverside.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet and comfortable, try for one facing the river to enhance your stay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank geoffrey h
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford-in-the-Water
Bagshaw Hall
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath

Been to Riverside House Hotel? Share your experiences!