“Good sleep and good food”

Riverside House Hotel
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Good sleep and good food”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed here to celebrate a birthday. It is a lovely hotel in a lovely part of England. The building is Georgian and quaint and characterful. It was great to sit in front of an open fire with a post-dinner single malt.

The garden room we had was spacious and comfortable, and well equipped. Nice extra touches like sherry, nuts, fresh milk, fresh coffee - and a decent Sony TV rather than a cheapo own-brand Matsui or some such. The bed was gigantic - plenty of room to stretch out. We had a really comfortable night and slept well. The shower ran hot immediately and it was powerful too. The room was quite hot - but we just turned the thermostat down to suit what we wanted. The sink in the bathroom is probably nearing the end of its useful life.

Dinner was excellent - three courses punctuated with complimentary tasters. The three variations of lamb main course were cooked to perfection. The raspberry ice cream is to die for. If wine is your thing there is a phone-book thick wine list. Breakfast was excellent - full English (Derbyshire style) set the day off to a good start.

The service was very good. The Receptionist was attentive and gave the impression she cared that we were enjoying our stay.

Will stay here again in the summer when we can sit outside and enjoy a drink by the river and the gardens.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Had a relaxing overnight stay here on a quiet winter evening. We got a warm welcome on arrival and were shown to our rooms. There was a good choice of tea and coffee in the room along with fresh milk and a small decanter of sherry. The room was warm and comfortable, although the view to the rear of the hotel was nothing special. It was extremely peaceful and I slept well.

The three course set dinner was quite an adventure with an extra three small courses (samosas with our drinks, amuse bouche of smoked duck and finally a pre-dessert!). The main desserts were exceptionally good, alas we had no room left to sample the cheese. The wine list seemed to have a good selection of wines by the glass at fair prices.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lancashire
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed at the Riverside on Saturday 24th November for one night this being our 3rd stay since July. As usual we were greeted warmly and shown to our room which was the Kingfisher Suite. The room was beautiful and stunning attention the detail with a large well appointed bathroom.

We had booked dinner for 7.45pm but came down early for pre dinner drinks and lovely canapes. Dinner was great, beautifully presented and service second to none.

Breakfast was just as good and all freshly prepared.

This hotel is run by superb staff and their professionalism shows throughout the hotel.

Cannot wait for our 4th stay which we have already booked for February 2013

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel is set in the stunning Peak District and the decor is superb, old Country house style. At £180 for a double room with a garden view I was expecting something a little bit special. The room was very small with a trouser press, ironing board & iron. Large selection of teas & cafetiere, tin of 4 biscuits, sherry, peanuts and a complimentary chocolate. The lady who showed me my room said someone would be along with milk shortly. After 20 minutes I went looking for it. The garden view did exist & was accessible by double doors but as it was right on the drive to the car park it was hardly private. The hotel is non smoking but has no ashtrays outside so if you're a smoker be prepared to be made to feel unwelcome!

The staff are very friendly and Jo is wonderful with a great sense of humour, the decor is superb and old world, the bathroom had great water pressure & full of the usual extras. My biggest concern was that my curtains didn't close properly leaving a large gap so light came in, when I asked for clips or something for them I was told by a member of staff not to worry because they would staple them together!!! When I mentioned it to Jo she said she already knew about it & my room was on the refurb list. As the hotel was not full I do have to wonder why at £180pn I was put in the room in the first place! When I returned Jo informed me she had put extra hooks & they now closed. Other guests complained their rooms were too hot but mine was very cold, which I happen to like but I can see others not enjoying this.

In the morning I was first in the breakfast room and asked for a coffee & omelet with my choice of fillings being tomatoes, onions and mushrooms. What arrived can only be described as an omelet pizza with full mushrooms, half tomatoes and chopped onions on top. It was different but I was enjoying it til I tried a mushroom & got a very strong taste of blue cheese, which whilst I like blue cheese, I do not want it for breakfast! When I poured my coffee there was a black hair floating in it. I assumed it was from the cup and removed it, until I poured the second cup and found the second hair!! At that point I stood up & left.

I have stayed in hotels all over the world with varying prices and have to say this was one of the most disappointing ever! I do not recommend this hotel in any way.I did not mention any of my complaints when I left because I simply wanted to leave as fast as possible!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Jindabyne, Australia
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This place is amazing. Our stay here was the highlight of a 5 week trip that included Paris, London, Edinburgh and many places in between. The staff are incredible. It is so welcoming and intimate and the meals here were the best we had anywhere. Travelled with my partner and parents and we all agreed it was our favourite. The rooms, the amenities, the Bar, the drawing room, attention to detail.. it was all perfect. Thank you Jo !! We wish we could have stayed longer. Go out of your way to stay here - it is so worth it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We arrived at the hotel at lunch time on a Sunday, the hotel do not do snacks at lunchtime so the waitress suggested we have one course of the Sunday lunch which we did and it was excellent. Our room was spacious, very clean and comfortable. The only down side was the bathroom, perhaps I have stayed in too many new hotels lately as the bathroom looked very dated and there was a nasty crack in the wash hand bowl. We dined in the hotel for our evening meal,it was one of the best meals we have had in a long time, the only problem was that we were the only ones staying in the hotel that evening and we dined alone so the dining room lacked any sort of atmosphere and not even any background music. The staff was very attentive and very professional.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Peony room which was a nice sized room and furnished in character with the hotel...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here recently for a family weekend away (4 rooms). From the start of the booking, to our stay, the hotel service has been impeccable. We had some special requirements for some of our party and the management did their utmost to accommodate us.

The rooms were very clean, modern and lots of nice touches that make a difference. We had evening meal here and that was also superb, with a very professional service.

The hotel has a charm and warmth about it, which makes it very welcoming. And a great location, minutes from Chatsworth.

The hotel was full the weekend we stayed, which is good to see. Wish we had a longer stay here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford-in-the-Water
Bagshaw Hall
The Lathkil Hotel
#1 of 1 in Over Haddon
East Lodge Country House Hotel
The Izaak Walton Hotel

Been to Riverside House Hotel? Share your experiences!