“Excellent Pub Grub”

Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Bradwell
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 15, 2013

last minute booking for a party of six adults, good choice of food at reasonable prices. very friendly landlord and good service. highly recommend

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We arrived at 8.20pm on Friday and were seated by a waitress. On going to place an order for food at 8.30pm we had to wait until local customers got served first, having been told this might happen by someone who had dined there the previous week, we did not get too bothered by being ignored. Eventually on placing our order we were served by the man behind the bar (landlord) who looked at the clock and snatched a pad without comment to write our order which we paid for. We had a drink and sat down to wait..and wait. After an hour of waiting my husband enquired how long it would be before we would get our meal and he was told 5 minutes. We continued to wait, the staff were busy serving other customers. It appeared that they could not manage to cook and serve more than 2 meals at once as a group of people eating together got their food two dishes at a time at varying times over a 20 minute period. At no time did any staff come and explain the delay or apologise. By this time a noisy disco and karaoke were in full swing. We waited 1 hour and 20 minutes and had .lost all interest in food. When we cancelled the order and asked for our money back the bar man or he could have been the land lord was extremely rude and abusive. He said he had done us a favour taking our order because we were late and that we should know when they stop serving food. How rude!! We explained that we lived out of the area and had made a special trip and although we would not know the serving times we had in fact arrived in time for food. However we were told in no uncertain terms not to return. As if we would!!. Obviously the customer is not always right and that staff can be as rude as they like I would like to see that man wait 1 hour and 20 minutes for an order and see how abusive he was then.

8  Thank jean h
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Nice pub with reasonable food, but let down hugely by the greasy smell eminating from the kitchen. Every time the door was opened leading from the kitchen, the smell came wafting towards us. Maybe we should have sat further away.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went to this pub on our way out of a wet , cold Castleton and received a lovely warm welcome. The pub was quiet, it was after all a wet Tuesday lunchtime. We chose a Medley of Fish pie, chunky chips and peas and Desperate Dan pie, same accompaniments. This pie wasn't for the faint hearted. A very generous portion which my brother said was one of the best pies he had eaten and he ate the lot.They do a smaller version which I might try next time we go.
Our fish pie was also good, plenty of chunky fish, great mash and cheesy topping. We were too full for a pud but I had a coffee which I enjoyed very much.
The landlord, landlady and chef were very pleasant to talk to and to be with and I could imagine that if you stayed with them (they do have rooms) you would have a comfortable time.
We will go again.

1  Thank marie W
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Visited this pub for a meal on a busy holiday weekend Saturday night. It was full of diners and fortunately we had booked. The reason for trying it was by special invitation of the landlord. I'd posted a negative review of one of his nearby competitors and received a message from him via TA saying, "Try this one, good value and clean". So we did!
First impressions were good; we were doing a 10 mile hike so I asked if I could park in the car park and come back later to eat - no problem. Arrived back on time and was told that a large party was about to order food so if we wanted quick service then we should order promptly, which we did. Food did indeed arrive quickly - Desperate Dan steak pie and Whitby Whale fish and chips at £10.95 each. Big portions but well cooked, tasty and well-presented. Beer was good too with two of my favourite beers, Harvest Gold and Tribute.
Lots of people were arriving looking for a table to eat. We tried to move somewhere to let one of these groups have our table and finish off our drinks (and maybe have another one) but every table was taken with diners, so I guess my only negative comment on the pub was that on a Saturday night it's difficult to sit and have a quiet drink. But also good to see a thriving pub these days that seems to be doing well.
Needless to say I stayed true to Trip Advisor anonymity and didn't introduce myself to the landlord.

1  Thank kmr1809