“A wonderful Wedding in superb surroundings!”

Losehill House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hope
Derbyshire
“A wonderful Wedding in superb surroundings!”
Reviewed September 21, 2009

We recently got married in August and decided to book Losehill House for our wedding meal/evening celebrations. It was the best decision we could have ever made! All the staff, Jules and owner Paul were more than helpful to assist with our requirements from cots to storing of table decorations etc and extremely flexible when choosing dishes and canapes for the guests. Nothing was too much trouble. All of our guests commented on what a beautiful venue it is. The grounds and rooms are wonderful, perfect scenery for our pictures. The service was exceptional throughout. The timing and organisation for the whole day was perfect which meant we could just relax and enjoy every moment. The food is just divine, from evening dishes to a flexible breakfast varied to everyone’s needs. We did have a peek at some bedrooms and all were beautifully decorated and of exceptional standards. We stayed in the suite separate to the main building which was lovely. Pity we didn’t have time for the pool and the hot tub, hopefully we will be visiting again to take full advantage! Thank you once again for your efforts and professionalism and ensuring we had the day of our dreams! We would not hesitate recommending Losehill House as first class wedding venue.
Mr and Mrs Rookwood, Dronfield, Derbyshire

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank JezzaDerbyshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
England
Reviewed September 18, 2009

I booked a very last-minute one-night stay with my two teenage boys a few weekends ago in a family suite. From the initial phone call on the afternoon of arrival to the final checking out before we left, we had a very enjoyable stay. Food was mostly excellent, and service was good. The bar is well stocked and the dinner menu appealing to every taste. A suggestion that there could be more than one vegetarian option though. We found in the main, staff to be very attentive and caring. Special mention must be given to Haydee who dealt efficiently and professionally with our booking, check-in and subsequent requests and queries always with a smile and nothing seemed too much to ask. A shame that the lead waiter Rob during our evening seemed quite the opposite; rude, interfering and quite in-your-face. But his heart was in the right place, albeit rather haphazard and perhaps a little too pally with the customers. Our family suite was ideal for a family, a twin and a double room with bathroom and lounge area. the hotel is mostly well-kept though there are obvious signs of tired paint and fittings. The hotel is kept very tidy and clean. However, we were very happy with our stay overall, and would recommend Losehill to friends and family. The pool and outoor hot tub are a unique selling point.

1 Thank walkingholidays
Co Durham
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in August 2009 with my wife. We found the hotel was in a fantastic peaceful location in the Hope Valley of the Peak District. The hotel is tastefully furnished and our room, room 2, was spacious and of a high standard. The pool area and the hot tub were very good. Food was delicious during our stay and there was a varied menu. Our only complaint was that at times the service at dinner was slow. Guests seemed to cotton on to this and by the time of our departure nearly all the guests arrived for dinner around 7pm- the earliest you could. At times the hotel appeared to be short staffed and the telephone in reception seemed to be constantly ringing with no member of staff to answer it. However other than these small moans we enjoyed our stay and would recommend the hotel to our friends/family.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mountain445
PaulRodenLosehill, Owner at Losehill House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2009
The kind comments about the Hotel and Restaurant are much appreciated. With regards reception cover and staffing in the restaurant we are extending hours and have recruited additional staff to cover the evening period.
Letchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We paid nearly £300 for one night stay for my mother-in-laws 75 birthday this weekend. From the moment my husband and our two children (under 5) entered the hotel i felt that i had to ask for everything to meet the needs of our children. This included having to ask the receptionist for a travel cot - having thought we had already arranged this over the phone when booking. Then i asked if two childrens meals could be provided at around 5pm and was asked why they couldn't eat with us later that evening! After a 3 hour drive to the hotel, and having arranged a babysitter for the evening i was rather hoping that i could put the kids to bed and relax and enjoy my evening meal. Eventually she said my children could have scrambled eggs on toast, and raised an eyebrow when i asked if tomatoes and cucumber could be added.

The owner of the hotel was around constantly which i found quite intimidating very quickly. Far too keen. Once he found out about the childrens meals debarcle he was just everywhere and in the end it put me off walking round the hotel in-case i would meet him. His approach seems to be very hands on, which i guess is good, but when he relies on hounding his customers for recommendations during their stay it can feel very stressful.

I rang up twice before our stay at the hotel to enquire about babysitters and i was told both times that the owners did not not get involved in any babysitter facility of any kind for 'insurance' purposes. So i paid £50 for 4 hours babysitting through a national babysitting agency. £50!!!!! The baby monitor i had did not work - as i had been told when i rang up - as our room was way too far away from the restaurant.

What really was the last straw on this occasion was that the owner told me that he had spoken with 'my' babysitter whilst she was there and seemed quite keen to get her details so that he could recommend her to future guests - no doubt on a non-agency basis!!! When he told me this i felt as though someone had just punched me in the face. I had done all the donkey work for him and had had to pay £50 for the priviledge. What a cheek.

This man talks the talk (and i suspect that that is his Audi TT permanently parked RIGHT outside the front door - giving a good (?) impression), but in my experience he does not walk the walk. This hotel has a great chef and a lovely dining room, but the rest of it is a facade of pine wardrobes, tired furniture in the bedrooms and generally unmatching un-flowing masculine decor. Not worth the £300.

I don't want to make this mans children cry - as he has responded to another reviewer - but he needs to research other hotels and leave his customers alone.

2 Thank travelsnail
PaulRodenLosehill, Owner at Losehill House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 25, 2009
I value the feedback and will take on board the comments - I was only trying to be helpful! I can only apologise about the missing cot but we had no record at all of the request and provided one within minutes. I would like to say that we do welcome families and the family suite in question has a twin room, double room and a lounge along with the ensuite bathroom. We offer meals to children based upon the ingredients being used on that day for dinner, rather than providing a special kids menu.
Derby
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We booked a two night spa break at Losehill as, in order for some rest and recuperation, I wanted spa treatments and my husband wanted to go walking and exploring. We visited Losehill last year and decided that it had everything we were looking for so booked another stay. Although it was nice last year, I have to say that this year was even better and we had a wonderful and very relaxing stay and it seemed the staff couldn't do enough for us. The room (Room 4) was spectacular and very spacious, with a very large bed, sofa and chairs and two large windows looking over to Win Hill. The bathroom was the biggest I have ever seen with a big bath AND a seperate, quite large, shower cubicle. There's also a small dressing room with his and hers wardrobes, each containing slippers, robes and towels for the pool area. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and I had two great nights sleep. Being on a spa break; we had breakfast, lunch and dinner and I cannot find any faults with the food or the service provided. It was top class food and the chef should be very proud. The outside and the lounge areas are nice places to sit and relax in with a drink and a book, and the bar is well stocked. We didn't use the pool, sauna or hot tub but we had a look at them and everything looked very clean and inviting and we definately use these facilities next time. The spa, however, was lovely. I had four treatments; aroma facial, idoceanne (consisting of body scrub, body massage, silk wrap and head massage), indian head massage and luxury pedicure. I had two of my treatments together on the Saturday with Amy and then the other two together on the Sunday with Heather (I think) and I cannot fault either therapist. They were both very friendly and down to earth and put me at ease, enabling me to relax and enjoy the benefit of my treatments. My husband was also very happy with his two walks (one up to the top of Win Hill and the other around Ladybower Reservoir) which he did whilst I had my treatments! In conclusion, this is a wonderful, charming hotel in a beautiful setting and you can tell that it is a family hotel as the staff are warm and friendly and make you feel as though you are being looked after and pampered. In fact I didn't actually leave the hotel over the whole weekend! We will be back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Staying at Losehill for two nights we were very impressed with its location as it was off the beaten track and super views from all windows.. We had a mews room which comprised of two bedrooms, a lounge area and large bathroom (with very fluffy towels!), all very tastefully decorated, clean and blissfully quiet. There is a nice peaceful atmosphere within the hotel. We used the pool both days and even though it wasn't the largest, we had it and the sauna to ourselves. Wandering down in our robes was ideal.

We opted for the DBB as it would have meant a drive to the nearest restaurant. We did contemplate walking to the Cheshire Cheese Inn which we were glad we didn't do -because it didn't open until 6.30pm! Instead we drove into Castleton to the Old Cheshire Cheese Inn which was a super place to drop in for a drink. Food at Losehill was good, breakfast a treat as it was all served from the menu so you were able to sit and relax admiring the beautiful views.

Sadly the hotel's one let down turned out to be the staff. This is a public website so I wouldn't like to offend and I did leave a comment card with reception as we didn't see the owners during our stay. Our welcome at 6.30pm lacked in warmth and we wondered if this was due to the receptionist going off duty soon afterwards. It was hurried and lacking in information, after a long car journey we had hoped for a little more attention.

The first night dining was very disorganised and did sadly leave us feeling let down. It was a full sitting but there was no excuse for the wait confusion. The waitress who kept on wondering around with no purpose biting her nails was very out of order.

However, the next evening it was slightly less busy and less staff but the young lady in charge was a credit to the hotel, she had everyone organised, giving fantastic attention without being overbearing. I did compliment her at the end to say thank you for such a nice evening. The younger members of staff would benefit with some more training and should be a little less informal and casual in their approach.

We would recommend the hotel, it is in a lovely location and the owners have invested well into achieving a relaxing atmosphere through careful design. On a rainy day if you didn't fancy a walk or sightseeing you did feel sinking into the lounge sofas with a good book would be a wonderful way to spend your time......

UK
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I booked my wife and myself in for a one night stay on a Saturday for our 3rd wedding anniversary. I am frequent traveler and stay in 4/5* hotels and spa's often so looking at the website Losehill seemed a good choice based on what they had to offer. How wrong could I be!

I wont detail every issue we encountered but the main points for us were:
Reception - rude, inefficient service at check in, unwilling to help and had zero customer service skills
Room - booked a king size room which turned out to be a small double, with a small half opened window looking across the flat ash felt roof of the restaurant. We were in the middle of the peak district and we couldn't see a thing of the countryside!

TV in room hanging off the wall and open to being hit every time you walked past it
No coffee in the room and only a few teas bags

Outside - dirty plates from afternoon tea left on several tables between 3-8pm
Restaurant - empty drinks left on empty tables and not cleaned through out meal
Restaurant Service - disorganised with food being brought to other guests tables when they were still eating starters. We were left twice for over 25 minutes waiting for our dessert order to be taken
Restaurant food - Canapes and petit fours excellent. Main course was undercooked chewy saddle of lamb with under cooked potatoe gratin and over cooked chewy leeks!
Breakfast - "local organic bread" = value sliced white bread!, dry stale cold croissants and dusty cheap museli

I'm not going to go on, but overall this was booked as a special treat night away with a cost of £300 and for that I'd expect excellent service (with a smile!), great food and a great relaxing venue.

Losehill is simply none of those things and does just resemble a glorified B&B that seems to have zero experience of running a great quality hotel and spa.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
PaulRodenLosehill, Owner at Losehill House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 2, 2009
We are Paul & Kathryn Roden the owners of Losehill House Hotel & Spa, we value strongly all of the customer feedback received whether through comments directly to the hotel or via Tripadvisor. Although I (Paul) view our entry on Tripadvisor every day, so far I have taken the position of not responding to reviews preferring to allow our guests to freely air their views and quietly responding by constantly seeking to improve our service and facilities at the hotel wherever possible. To date in over 18 months most people have thoroughly enjoyed their stay in this wonderful oasis in the Peak District. Following discussions with the family and guests at the hotel this week I have decided to respond to each of the reviews going forward.

The first thing to say is that we care deeply about the experiences of our guests and I am really sorry that we did not deliver an enjoyable experience to the reviewer, particularly on wedding anniversary celebration.

I am disappointed that we were not given the opportunity to rectify the issues described as we did not receive any complaints or negative feedback during the stay. I try to chat to all of our guests at check-in during the evening or at check-out and would have personally attended to any of the issues with the guest if they had made me or my team aware.

I was at the hotel for the majority of the stay and was aware that we had staff shortages on Saturday in the front of house team, which will have contributed to many of the issues that are mentioned in the review. As a result I brought my daughter from home to help in the restaurant that evening, Losehill House is our family hotel.

Our reception staff are usually very warm and friendly, we offer to accompany guests to their rooms and carry bags, help with Restaurant and Spa Treatment reservations, explain the facilities etc. I can only apologize if this was not the experience received.

From reviewing the bookings the room in question was a Kings Room with a view across Edale Valley to Winhill ( a fantastic view in my opinion) albeit not our largest room. All our Kings rooms have new Super King 6'x 6.3' beds which are fantastic - often being described by guests as the best bed I have ever slept in. The room also has a changing room and has a lovely bathroom with a view down the Hope Valley. The TV is a new 22" flat screen which swivels on a wall mounted stand - in view of the comment I will look at the fixing and positions of the chairs. The missing coffee is obviously an error and would have been quickly resolved but we are not aware of it being missing - I will raise this with the housekeeping team.

The tidiness of the lounge is not normally an issue and can only be explained by the staff shortages on the day - again not something we wish to repeat, but a small hotel with local staff is more vulnerable to this than a larger one with a live in team from out of the area. We are however growing the team to ensure that we do not encounter these issues going forward.

The restaurant at Losehill House is gaining a well deserved reputation for the high quality of cuisine with friendly and attentive service. As all of our dishes are prepared freshly to order the waits between courses are longer than average. We change our menu daily and allow our Head Chef the flexibility to express his creativity to deliver new and interesting dishes - usually to the liking of guests, although not the lamb on this occasion and I will investigate this dish for the future. We source locally where possible and almost everything is home made - including the bread, all except for the toast at breakfast and sandwiches which is fresh and not frozen- on this particular morning our local baker was late with the delivery and we had to substitute an alternative - again apologies. Our muesli is specially blended by our local fresh herb supplier and is enjoyed by most -if it was not to the reviewers liking we would have gladly offered an alternative if asked and I will ensure that in future every bowl has the interesting bits! This local guy will also be providing us with freshly baked biscuits for the bedrooms from this week.

We are obviously disappointed to be described as a B&B - with a swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, spa treatment rooms, lounge and bar, wi-fi, rosette standard Restaurant, function room, high spec bedrooms and a lift to all floors,along with a high level of service in the view of the majority of our guests.

As the hands on owner/manager of the hotel I, Kathryn and the girls (all in tears tonight) care deeply about the hotel and how our guests enjoy their stay - we will continue to respond to comments in a constructive manner and strive to improve the time spent by our guests at Losehill House Hotel & Spa.

Paul & Kathryn Roden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hope
The Izaak Walton Hotel
East Lodge Country House Hotel
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hathersage

Been to Losehill House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!