“What a treat!”

and 1 more site!
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hope
Reviewed January 26, 2013

This was our first hotel stay together as a couple since having our daughter 21 months ago. We were stressed and tired and really needed a break. The hotel is set in stunning surroundings, the rooms are immaculate and nicely decorated. The bed was blissful even though my husband is 6'4" it was huge and very comfortable. The pool, sauna and hot tub are very clean and well maintained. We sat in the hot tub in very heavy snow fall which was a novelty and great fun. The breakfast was gorgeous, the evening meal was amazing. The cook gives such attention to detail, the service was excellent and the staff were very friendly and all local people (how refreshing!) There was nothing about the food that we could find fault with, it was delicious, locally sourced and beautifully presented. The wine list was varied and not overly priced. There was decent real ale on tap which my husband was pleased about. We had a lovely walk out to Castleton and enjoyed the pubs and little shops there. It was great fun walking in the snow. There was a heavy load of snow the night before we left so it was all hands to the deck as the staff were out there after they had served breakfast clearing the drive. (I noticed it was only the boys though....shame on you girls!) For me this was a short (2 nights) but well earnt break and we could not have wished to spend it in such a lovely hotel in such a beautiful part of England. The hotel is a credit to it's owners and it's great staff. Thank you so much Losehill House, we will be back!

Room Tip: Our room was on the car park side of the hotel but it still had great views. If you want amazing vie...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
PaulRodenLosehill, Owner at Losehill House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Losehill - the snow was a challenge but the team are brilliant staying open all through the winter - although the hotel sits on the hill side it is quite a low altitude for the Peak District and probably gets less snow than Sheffield!

There are newer reviews for Losehill House Hotel & Spa

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I've been meaning to post a review for some time, we had our wedding at Losehill in July 2012 and I cannot recommend highly enough all the team who made it such an amazing day. We booked in January and Jules the wedding coordinator was so helpful throughout the process. As soon as we saw Losehill it clicked and on every visit all the staff were friendly and welcoming. On the day itself Paul, Jules and all the team made sure everything ran to plan so we were able to enjoy our day. The food was spectacular, we had trouble choosing when we came for the tasting evening but I think we got the right combinations and our guests have commented that it was some of the best food they've had. A particular thank you to the kitchen team who accomodated the menu changes for pregnant, gluten free and vegan guests. We had exclusive use of Losehill and despite the not amazing weather the rural setting still looked beautiful and the orangery was perfect for both the ceremony and reception. We had a truly wonderful day and Paul and all the team really did go the extra mile, the rooms are all beautifully furnished and a good size and our guests all commented on what a great place. Breakfast the next morning was perfect... Quite a few sore heads amongst of friends but service & food were spot on. If you are looking for a wedding venue in a rural setting, where you can enjoy the day and feel that both friends and family will be comfortable, Losehill is a perfect choice, having such amazing food provided took the stress out of having to find caterers (unlike many other venues in the peak area), highly recommend and we will hopefully find time for a weekend stay soon. Thanks Paul, Jules and all the team you are brilliant.

Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank sarah w
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stopped for one night in the main house whilst my parents and two dogs stayed in one of the Mews bedrooms which is dog friendly (at an extra cost of 20 pounds per dog I believe).

Had a thoroughly pleasant stay. Rooms were clean and very comfortable. The hotel is in a lovely setting and the views were great. I especially enjoyed watching the border collies from my bedroom window in the morning trying to round up the stray sheep from the hotel car park.

Dining room was warm and welcoming. Breakfast was great and cooked to order. Didn't have the dinner as we went to a local pub instead so can not comment.

Swimming pool was nice and warm. Also made use of the sauna and the outdoor jacuzzi in the rain which I am sure would have had fantastic views if it wasn't pitch black outside.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely return and would like to stay longer than the one night next time.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I recently enjoyed a 2 night break at Losehill House Hotel. We stayed in the Edale Suite and were hugely impressed with the accommodation on our arrival. The suite included a spacious sitting room, well sized bedroom (with probably the biggest and most comfortable bed I've ever slept in) and - the jewel in the crown - a lovely bathroom that included both a very large bath and luxurious wetroom style shower. The look on my wife's face on first entering the suite was a picture (the beautiful bouquet of flowers in the room that the receptionist arranged for our arrival may have had something to do with this and was good value for the £40 pricetag) and her "wow's" increased as we moved from room to room. The views on looking out the windows were also breathtaking and a welcome reminder of the natural beauty to be found in the peak district.

The hotel's facilities didn't disappoint either, my wife had one of their spa treatments which left her so relaxed I struggled to wake her for dinner, whilst I enjoyed the sauna and indoor swimming pool.

The restaurant was extremely busy during our stay and, whilst the dinner menu wasn't really our thing, from the quality on offer it was easy to see why. Breakfast on the other hand was very much "our thing", fruit juice, cereal then a hearty cooked breakfast, washed down with as much tea as you could drink, accompanied by excellent service. In fact the restaurant staff were extremely attentive all weekend and as a whole service at the hotel was friendly & efficient.

We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend and, although the break was a little expensive, I certainly think we received value for money. From our experience it's difficult to find fault with Losehill House Hotel - If I was going to try to pick holes in anything I found the bar a bit limited with not too much choice of draught beers but then again it is a spa hotel, not a CAMRA social club - and I'd have no hesitation in recommending the hotel as a weekend break destination to my family & friends.

2  Thank Martin C

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay - we do have two draft beers from the Thornbridge Brewery in Bakewell - usually the famous Jaipur IPA and Lord Marples Cask Bitter - not bad for a small hotel and Spa....

Reviewed January 12, 2013

we returned from another fabulous short break at Losehill house. last year (for my birthday)my husband, 10year old son and myself indulged in a one night stay and absolutely loved it - the elegance, attentive staff, scenery,food and facilities. This year, we made a late decision after a fraught Xmas to go again but for 2 nights, deciding any expense would be worth it. I was a little concerned whether it may not have been as good but it was even better! We stayed the same family suite with our own bedrooms and a lounge and it had been improved with a luxurious carpet and another comfy sofa. The toiletries were fab and willingly available for use during our stay with option to purchase at reasonable cost should you choose. Great use was made of the pool, Jacuzzi and sauna over the two days but as we had more time we were able to get a good walk in up Win hill to burn off/make way for more delicious local food. Breakfast was faultless and delicious and dinner was an elegant experience. Our son (now 11) ate from the full menu and loved the involvement. I could not fault any of the staff just. You may have expected a wind down after Xmas and new year but they did not drop their standards, treating and talking to our son as an adult and any request was no trouble to them. We have come back glowing, so much that my parents have booked 3 nights for next week to celebrate my father's birthday, another couple of friends are looking to book and regaling to our neighbours, it transpires the have also last year on our recommendation. Roll on 2014 for my next birthday - perhaps make it 3 nights this time !

Room Tip: for families, Mews 4 (as long as you don't book it when we want it - ha, ha)
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This is a great place! My wife and i were given a 24 hr break here as a Christmas present and whilst it took a long time to reach the hotel from Liverpool, we were not disappointed.

Best bits:
1. The hot tub on an outdoor verandah overlooking the beautiful Hope valley.
2. The well informed and enthusiastic staff who looked after us wonderfully
3. The setting. There are few signposts (thankfully our sat nav took us right to the door) and up the end of a small 'T' road. It looks as if you're going to end up at a farm house or small youth hostel. But then you find a rural country manor (actually an old walking retreat) with sumptuous decor and a warm reception - and it's right in the middle of the peak district.
4. The food. I was initially very surpised by the food. I found the menu difficult to decipher and i wasn't sure what was coming for any course! So i got a starter of soup when i expecting a pasta dish, and a small decorative layered construction when i was expecting a leg of lamb and mash! But it tasted superb and so all was forgiven! And the numerous courses meant that i was full at the end despite the small course sizes.
5. The experience of having been in the lap of luxury for a short time!

Nothing to fault! A wonderful 24 hours eating and walking - thank-you Losehill (and our friends for the gift).

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I had an amazing day spa with my sister. The hotel looked amazing, the included spa facilities were spot on and the treatments and service that we received were top notch.

We did go when it seemed fairly quiet so we practically and the place to ourselves which is always an added bonus!

Why not 5*?

Well... the food and drink was a let down. There was an included 2 course lunch and we also had additional hot drinks and they were all a bit of a disappointment for an establishment that is so outstanding in many regards.

The main course of cod and beetroot potatoes something is what we both had and the beetroot potatoes were so over seasoned with pepper that it almost made me cough to eat them. The purées on the plate were very intense and I'm not sure they complimented the other elements on the plate.

The dessert of chocolate pudding was also a let down. The puddings oozing centre was quite cold, the cherry icecream tasted somehow artificial and the chocolate soil was more dust and sugar then chocolate.

We also had hot chocolate to drink and it tasted like the cheaper powdered versions.

Minor issues:
The sat nav would not recognise the postcode for both of us and it isn't signposted from the main road.
There was a sound of metal repeatedly hitting rock coming from outside throughout most of one of my treatments.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank DerbyAnon

I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit. I am disappointed that you didn't think the lunch was to your liking - the creativity of the chefs along with the flavours of the local ingredients usually and very well received - but the team are always striving for improvement and take on your comments constructively. I investigated the noise during the treatment and it was our maintenance team replacing a storm drain in the car park - so apologies are in order - unfortunately essential work as this last year the storm drains have taken a bit of a battering!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hope
The Izaak Walton Hotel
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hathersage
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel

Been to Losehill House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!