“Very comfortable and in a great setting”
Review of Round Meadow Barn

Round Meadow Barn
Round Meadow Barn
Ranked #6 of 6 Hope B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable and in a great setting”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Just got back from a one night stay in this lovely B&B. The hosts made us feel very welcome and we found our room, warm, clean and comfortable. We arrived in the dark after a cold and wet day on the hills so didn't get to appreciate the amazing views until the next morning. There are lots of pubs just a short drive away and the breakfast is delicious with lots of choice. The road to the barn is not tarmacd and has three gates so if the weather is bad make sure you have your boots handy. This also gives you an idea of how secluded and peaceful the barn is! We really enjoyed our stay and hearing about how Gill and Geof built the barn. We will definitely stay here again if we revisit the area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just stayed here for the weekend whilst doing a large walk! Very warm welcome in a lovely cosy home. Rooms very nice and clean with good shower room. Breakfast's to fill you up for the rest of the day, and Jill even gave me some of her home made flapjacks to get me through my walk!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Being regular and enthusiastic Bed and Breakfast users we were shocked by how rudely we were treated by the owners of Round Meadow Barn.

We were not offered a key to the property at any point, but on returning on the Saturday evening at 11.30 after dinner in a local pub we were shouted at for being late and told to "go to bed now" by the owner. When we explained the following morning that we hadn't known there was a curfew we were told that we clearly didn't understand how Bed and Breakfasts work and that it's "my house, my rules". Needless to say we left immediately and won't be returning.

Other points:
The bedroom didn't have any kind of lock.
We booked the room on the understanding of a private bathroom but it was shared.
Both a dog and cat were in the kitchen (and the dog was being played with by the owners) as they made breakfast.
The downstairs toilet/shower room has no curtain despite the path to the front door looking in to that window.
Two of the beds in the triple room are below sloping ceilings so it's awkward to sit up in bed without hitting your head.
Guests are expected to leave by 10am every morning although this isn't stated on the website or explained on arrival. No indication was given of when we were allowed to return.

On a positive note the breakfast was nice, the location was pretty and the rooms were clean and well presented.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Car01yn85
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The views from this B&B which stands in an elevated position in the Hope Valley are a real treat to wake up to or even if you're sat out in the garden which the owners are happy to let you do.
I've have now stayed at Round Meadow twice and found my hosts to be very pleasant and friendly people. The pub at the end of the road serves some great food also. As some other reviews point out, Round Meadow Barn is accessed via an enclosed field where either cattle or sheep may be grazing - hence it is necessary to open and close gates. For me, this only adds to the experience of being in the country and I had some fun last time as many an inquisitive cow came to greet me as I made my way across the track in my car. There are a couple of stables on site with friendly horses too. I've now stayed in two rooms at this B&B - both to a high standard with all the comforts and trimmings you come to expect of higher grade hotels. My only advice would be to make sure you take your own toiletries e.g. shower gel, shampoo etc. as these are not normally provided in my experience. As for cooked breakfast - it's the full Monty and you won't leave hungry. There's plenty of cereals and juices on offer otherwise. I will return!

Room Tip: I believe the nicest of the rooms - particularly if you're a romantic couple seeking a weekend a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you wouldnt want to have the view in the picture I've attatched out your bedroom window, or out of the kitchen window while youre eating a wonderful home cooked traditional english breakfast (with, by the way, the best locally made black pudding you'll ever taste !) ... then dont go to Round Meadow barn !!

Equally, I suppose I must add, having looked at a couple of the other reviews for Round Meadow here, it would seem kinda dumb to turn up here dressed for the boardroom in a business suit (get a real hotel room close to your meeting Max ! Duuuuh !) ... and if you cant handle a farm track and a couple of gates, as wellas a welcoming herd of heifers on the way through, then again youre probably the wrong kind of guest for Round Meadow ! (what did you expect Jen ? and even cheaper room rate than you already got ! Dont be such a cheapskate !)

Our room was lovely - views incredible - hospitality, both welcome and homely - and other guests, interesting. Quiet - serene - inspiring. We'll return for sure :-)

Room Tip: Yes: be prepared to open and close a couple of pasture gates. Bring cash as hosts dont keep a credit...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This one one of the most unwelcoming bed and breakfasts Ive ever been too. We stayed for a couple of nights over the festive period and were looking forward to a relaxing break. To get to the accomodation you need to drive through three very muddy fields, with two gates to open. The driveway is full of potholes and on our way back one evening we managed to burst our car tyre as it was too dark to see where they were. The first morning we were there, we had breakfast (which on a positive was lovely), after which we decided that we would stick around until mid morning waiting for the rain to calm down. As it was Christmas we brought with us a board game to play and didnt think we would be much of a nusiance stopping in the bedroom out of everyones way until the rain died down. But we were very wrong. We were spoken to like children, bear in mind we are all professionals in our mid 30s. We were told to leave immediatly and despite the fact we had paid for two nights we were not allowed to be in the bedrooms during the day. We were then told that because we hadnt left the house by 10am we were ruining their day. We spent the day worrying about when we would be allowed to go back as we need to get changed to meet up with some friends in the evening. We were not offered a key. As it was the festive period we paid an inflated price of £375 for three of us in two bedrooms for two nights. For this price we expected a lot more than what we were given.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank jen78230
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The place is not easy to find, and they don't warn you that you have to get out of the car and open and close two farm gates. Not so good when you are on your way to a business meeting and are dressed for that - put wellies in your car.

The room was nice, though the bed is right under the coombed ceiling in such a way that you can't sit up without banging your head, which I did over and over again. There wasn't an ensuite, just a cupboard with a basin and toilet, and I never did manage to get hot water from the taps. A nice touch was the bathrobe which they provide for those who want to go out of their room for a shower or bath. I actually couldn't find the shower in the morning as I had been shown it at speed when I got in exhausted the previous night...perhaps a sign on the door would be good?

Breakfast was amazing, and most amazing of all was the fact that everything was available wheat-free, even though I had not warned them in advance. It was lovely to be able to eat a normal Full English complete with cereal, sausages and toast.

But now for the real proviso. If you are going to arrive at an unusual time, make absolutely sure that the owners are going to be there when you arrive. I had arranged to arrive at midday on my way to that business meeting, having driven all the way from Scotland in a snowstorm. I was greeted by a family member who was taciturn, rude, claimed to know nothing whatsoever about my arrival (and to care less) and finally suggested I phone the owners. The phone number was given very reluctantly, and after a short discussion with the owners I was shown, again rudely and reluctantly, to my room. Had I not given my credit cards details I would simply have turned round and gone somewhere else, and throughout my business meeting I was dreading going back. As it turned out the owners are delightful and helpful (so are the dog and the cat) but my "welcome" was one of the worst experiences I have ever had in my many years of travelling.

Room Tip: It might be worth asking for a room where the bed isn't right under that coombed ceiling!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Kate M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hope
Innkeeper's Lodge Castleton, Peak District
The Old Hall Hotel
Samuel Fox Country Inn
Samuel Fox Country Inn
#1 of 6 in Bradwell

Been to Round Meadow Barn? Share your experiences!