“Fabulous”

Losehill House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 9 Restaurants in Hope
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We had the set menu and each course was first class. The staff were very welcoming we couldn't find a fault. Well worth a visit. £39.50 three course dinner.

• Visited July 2014

Sheffield, UK
“7 course tasting menu not worth it”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

We went for a 7 ours tasting menu which was a long awaited treat. Although we had purchased a voucher from living social, it was still over £30 a head, so we expected a treat. The restaurant was as nice as ever - I have eaten here before. The meal however was extremely sparse, and not up to standard. The three starters consisted of 1, three small pieces of tomato in a sweet consommé, a 5cm x1cm (maybe) piece of ham terrine and a piece of very salty cider cured salmon, the size of a penny. There were little bits of various sauces with each, but these were occasionally ok, sometimes really odd (a button of white stuff tasted like floury white sauce). The tiny bit of beetroot and the 'picked cucumber' (three or so pieces about the size of a ball bearing were nothing special. The best bit was the bread we ate with the starters, really nice. The two main mean meals, a piece of sea bass about 3cm x 2cm, but the shape and thinness of mine, cut from the tail, and a piece of steak about 5cmx 3cm x less than 1 cm suffered in their cooking by being so small that they were a little overcooked and definitely cold (on the hottest night of the year) and lost texture and flavour by being small, the jus with the meat was nice but the beans in claggy grainy white sauce with the fish were unpleasant. By this point the three starters and two mains combined would not have added up to a more than half a normal plate of starters and half a normal main, if that. The desserts were a bit better, although I am not a fan of lemon posset it was ok for a lemon possett, and as my son didn't like his there was more going spare. The chocolate delice was delicious, although my son did if we could order a whole one extra as it was the best thing in the meal. We declined an extra £8.50 for the cheeseboard but we left hungry and went home and had some cheese there, something that has never happened before.

I had lunch there very recently which I really enjoyed and I thought the portion sizes, particularly for the delicious goats cheese terrine were almost excessive, and the rump steak I had then for lunch was much nicer than the wafer of sirloin in the tasting menu, so I had kept myself hungry for a seven course meal. But both the sizes and probably more importantly the lack of any exceptional flavours or textures hugely disappointed us. I have eaten this sort of food before but it has been better.

Another minor point - I had been told to get there at 7 for a 7.30 table, although there was nothing to pre-order. A couple of days earlier I had realised my son had a slight child care problem and we would prefer to arrive at 7.15, 7.20. I was told if we did this our food would arrive slower as there was a large party arriving after us, so we actually made other arrangements and arrived early. However we were not seen through until after 7.30, and there was no large party in the restaurant that night, and hardly anyone arrived after us.

Overall, I would definitely avoid the tasting menu at any price.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank BeyondtheUK
Baslow, United Kingdom
“First class”
Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

A great hotel restaurant in a fantastic location. The Orangery restaurant is tastefully decorated and the service was excellent. We chose the seven course tasting menu and each course was a delight and left us wanting more. It's not cheap at £49.50 each but the skill and preparation needed for each course makes it good value. Definitely worth a visit.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Michael W
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth it's weight in gold!!! ”
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for our anniversary and we came away feeling refreshed and relaxed..we will definitely be back. We arrived to be greeted and shown the lounge where we offered drinks while we waited for our light lunch. After which we were then shown our room...the rooms from both the bedroom and bathroom were absolutely stunning. For dinner we had the tasting menu and we certainly weren't disappointed. The seasoning was perfect..and the presentation was worthy of any Michelin starred establishment . My wife used the pool and sauna in the morning but the pool was slightly cold at that time in the morning but it was 8am so fully understood that it may not be up to optimum temp. Breakfast like everything else did not disappoint. We would highly recommend this establishment to anyone.

1 Thank Michael W
Bamford, United Kingdom
“Beautiful surroundings but ridiculous price”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I have just had a family celebration Saturday evening meal in the stunning surroundings of Losehill House in the Hope Valley, Derbyshire. We live locally and have eaten there on several occasions but there has been a serious plummet in value since our last visit.
Our party included three children, thirteen and under, at least two of whom would have been happy without the mandatory three courser. While I do not wish them to have been offered fish fingers, I would have expected a nine year old to be able to eat adequately without paying the statutory forty quid-a-head that the menu demanded.
This forty pounds was for the basic three-course supper. At this price I would welcome a reasonable provision of vegetables with the meal but these entailed a healthy supplement which we declined.
A small glass of coke that included ice-cubes was £2:50 as was a glass of lemonade. We chose one of the most modest bottles of white and red on the wine list at twenty six and twenty one quid respectively. Nice but excessively priced when we would have been happy with a good house red or white, had it been available.
The portions were adequate but mains could have benefitted with vegetables thrown in without having to shell out even more.
The deserts were pleasant but one of our party who chose the cheese option (a mini cheese option of four modest but interesting cheeses, not the full Monty cheese board) had to pay a £3:50 supplement. Crazy when you think that the desert component of the forty pound menu must have been at least ten pounds.
Several of us chose coffee after the meal. This featured on the menu as coffee plus petits fours, at a supplement of four pounds per person. When I pointed out on paying the bill, that the petits fours had not arrived, the coffee supplement was reduced to a modest seventeen pounds for two average size cafetieres.

In summary, this is a charming boutique spa-hotel with stunning Peak district views. The service and surroundings and presentation could not be faulted, but at four hundred and fifty eight pounds for six adults, an admittedly voracious thirteen year old and two kids, excluding tip I think there are tempting high quality alternatives in and near the Hope Valley

• Visited May 2014