“Great Food, friendly knowledgeable staff and relaxing surrondings”

Losehill House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 9 Restaurants in Hope
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I was very excited to be in Sheffield for a couple of nights and have a dinner reservation at Losehill House Restaurant. Losehill House Hotel & Spa is about a 30 minute drive from the center of Sheffield and it is well worth the trip.

They offer a full à la carte menu which changes daily. However, on this my first visit, I chose to have the Tasting Menu which was very exciting and for just £45 it seemed very good value, it was. For this you are presented with seven course and, if you wish, for a little extra you can try their Artisan Cheese Selection. I passed on the cheese as by then I was beginning to feel rather full and wanted to leave room for the desserts.

My waitress was very knowledgeable and described in detail the construction of each dish. Service was perfectly timed with a small break between each course which was most welcome. I was also served four different bread which were warm and very tasty.

I had to drive back to Sheffield after the meal so did not partake of their very excellent wine list. The next time I visit I will combine it with a stay in the hotel so as to remedy that oversight!

The head chef is Darren Goodwin and he and his team turn out some wonderful food, I cannot recommend Losehill House Restaurant highly enough.

There are newer reviews for Losehill House Hotel & Spa

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I came here last weekend for my cousins wedding and it was amazing. Such as beautiful location and perfect for their reception. The staff were helpfull, friendly and polite. The food was amazing and the room over looking the garden was stunning.
I would recommend Losehill House for anyone getting married near sheffield.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We came for midweek lunch and more or less had the place to ourselves, so hard to judge the service. The menu was quite limited, but interesting. I had the kid ( small goat not small child), and it was superb. However, the desserts were different class. I wish I had just three or four of them and passed on the main course. Between us we tried just about everything, and it all looked great, and mine, the cheesecake, was top-notch.
Would definitely recommend this place for a special occasion.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We had planned our ‘Family & Friends Tour 2013’ to stop off in Ockbrook where my Mother had been evacuated to in WWII and where he Mother had been evacuated to during WWI. After that we were looking for somewhere good to stay overnight before continuing on our tour to Balderstone in Lancashire. Sue had found the Losehill House Hotel & Spa and this seemed to us to be the perfect place to relax for 24 hours.

It actually exceeded our expectations. There is only one other hotel where we have felt so relaxed and where the food the so truly excellent and that is Blagdon Manor in Devon. It is our favourite and despite many, many hotels have ever come close – until now.

One thing that is so obvious is that this is a hotel owned and run by the owners and not some ‘chain’ which employs management and staff that simply don’t care. Losehill owners were very much ‘on hand’ and ensuring everything is being run to their standards… Which are high.

We opted for a Deluxe King bedroom which had both a separate bathroom with both bath AND separate walk-in shower and a dressing room. The bed was incredibly comfortable and a super King size. Despite not usually sleeping well away from home, we both slept like logs. Indeed it was a bed that was difficult to get out of. They also provided bath robes and slippers along with locally blended Northern Tea, and a Cafetiere with fresh ground coffee, hot chocolate and locally produced biscuits.

There is a pool and spa, but sadly our short visit coincided with their cleaning, but perhaps that simply means we will have to return again.

Dinner is in their wonderful Orangery Restaurant with its incredible views, we were fortunate enough to be given a table adjacent to a window so were fully able to appreciate the views.

The food was incredible and, as mentioned, in the same league as our favourite hotel in Devon. See pictures of our dinner.

The dinner menu and wines are very reasonable and it is such a pleasant change not to be ‘ripped-off’ by hotels whose ‘house’ wines start at £38 or similar and they also happily brought us a jug of complimentary water as well – again we have all experienced those hotels who ‘only’ serve bottled water at £5 a bottle.

Sadly the time went just too quickly and we had to leave. Would we go back, without a doubt and we have already passed on its details to our friends who also enjoy such hotels.
So, all I can say is ‘thank you’ Paul and Kathryn (Roden) we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and hopefully will return again.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We visited Losehill House for Father's day lunch with my family (June 2013). The setting was gorgeous; the hotel being nestled deep in the Peak District, along a secluded leafy track. Once inside we were seated in the lounge area, which is opulent without feeling intimidating, to look over the 3 course set lunch menu. There was a large choice and everything sounded tempting, with the fresh, seasonal ideas and innovative twists expected of top-class modern British cuisine. I ordered the goats cheese parfait with beetroot meringue and hazelnuts followed by salmon with crab fishcakes. We were taken through to the restaurant which is filled with natural light and high ceilings with great a view of the countryside. The atmosphere was that of a high-standard restaurant where you know you are somewhere special and concurrently relaxed.

Fresh, homemade bread was delivered to our table followed shortly by the starters. The presentation was clean and modern and all the dished looked and tasted amazing; full of flavour and fresh quality ingredients and great attention to detail. The mains came along and didn't disappoint, as too did the desserts. Alongside the food, the service was attentive and not rushed or intrusive, so no complaints there. The meal was £24.50pp, which I felt was an absolute bargain for the quality we received.

I will be visiting again to sample the taster menu and would highly recommend to anyone on the lookout for a delicious meal and all round top-class dining experience.