“Just what I needed”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

Perfect location after a challenging walk - was impressed with food, friendliness and service. It would be easy to take custom for granted in this spot, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Recently had a couple of nights camping at coopers farm campsite, which is fantastic, and thought we would "treat" ourselves to meal out. What a mistake! They take advantage of being the only pub near the campsite and I am sure that their customers are one time only visitors. If you are considering visiting this pub, I would recommend that you call for a drink then go and cook yourself. We had the chicken kebab on a skewer with only three pieces of chicken, piri piri chicken, which was obviously microwaved and did not taste of piri piri at all, for starters we had the Italian sharing board...all for the bargain price of just under £38 including a pint and half of beer! We really don't mind paying any amount for a good meal, but this really did not warrant that kind of money. My advice is not to eat there, just have a drink.

2  Thank Lisa O
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Having seen the recent reviews about this place, particularly the poor food, we thought we'd try it for ourselves. We opted for some overpriced sandwiches with side portions of the much-maligned chips. Hey presto, the chips were as reported; small, grey and stuck together - really quite awful! The sandwiches were also poor value. As there are only two pubs in Edale and they are both owned by the same pub group (Dorbiere) it is not surprising that quality and value are not on the menu. Such a shame as Edale is a lovely little village. On the plus side, some of the 'northern' ales are good, albeit at 'southern' prices.

1  Thank Richard L
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I don't like to leave bad reviews, but sorry the Nag's head in edale has to gain one for the poor quality food served up.
The chips were grey!
As if the potatoes were left out of water, then fried, I have never seen a grey chip, and didn't think they were possible, but add the colour to the soggy quality and it was off putting.

The pie ' pastry' was soggy and flat, floating in gravy, it was all a disappointment after a good day out. It is in a beautiful village, and could be the perfect end to the day, but it ended up being quite the opposite. Advice......try elsewhere.

1  Thank Jill T
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We arrived a busy Friday night, 5 hungry walkers. I ordered the fish'n'chips ( which was really nice ) except they forgot my mushy peas. The other 4 all had the 'special' which was Peaks Pasty with Cumberland Sausage in gravy. It was awful. A microwaved small tasteless pasty, cold in the middle, covered with rancid gravy. Yuk. I complained but the management merely shrugged and did nothing. Don't waste your money here because the pub down the lane is better food, better beer, better prices, better service and a big hearty welcome.
That Friday night spoilt our weekend and we will never return to The Old Nags Head.

7  Thank John A