“warm welcome”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Came in here after a good walk with my dog.Me and my friend had some grub which was about average for price and quality.Not a great menu but it will do if your not fussy and just want to fill the void.The pub itself is nice and the owners are friendly.They came over for a chat and gave some water to our dogs.Nice pint as well.

There are newer reviews for The Old Nags Head

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Visited the pub on the 1st August after scaling Kinder Scout on one of the hottest days of the year. The Nags Head looks really inviting as you approach. However after being ignored at the bar, rudely spoken to by the lady in charge and watching others being served in front of us, we were left with little alternative than "walking out". First and only time I've ever done this. Having looked at other reviews there appears to be something in common. Wish I'd read the other comments first!
We went down the road to the "Ramblers". Fine establishment with good beer and friendly staff.

2  Thank Yorkshireman59
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We loved this place. We were stopping at the nearby Coopers Campsite and after a long walk, thought we'd treat ourselves to a well deserved meal. Hubbie had the Steak Pie and I had the chicken and black pudding. Both were delicious. Also sampled some of the Nags own beer. Nags1577 or something like that. Lovely:) Will return as soon as possible.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

The fact that you are at the start of the Pennine Way, in one of the most beautiful places in Britain, and sell alcohol and food means that people will visit you whatever you do so it would be easy to be pretty rubbish and still be full. So the Nags Head does exactly that. This is not a one trip review, I have been going to this pub for years as friends love to use it as a meeting-place and its a handy rendezvous for getting up onto Kinder. The staff reply to menu enquiries with single-word answers, portions of most meals are measly, a tiny jacket potato that would embarrass a Sheffield street-vendor is all they can be bothered to give me last time. The rest of it is standard pub-food poorly produced and expensive. Their real speciality perhaps, now perfected and consistently produced, is the most rubbery chips I have ever eaten. Their vegetable burger is a wet mushy turd in a dry old bun.

The pub has actually outdone its metropolitan neighbour Sheffield where circular plates have been outlawed in eateries for many years and uses a square plate with a bizarre corrugation. This is surely an optical device to disguise the fact that these plates aren't actually filled up.

In short: pathetic, an insult to the Peak District, overpriced rubbish. Walk past and go to the slightly better Ramblers or wait until you get back to Sheffield, Stockport, Manchester - in fact anywhere.

2  Thank Gregoryiain
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I visited with a party of 11. Food was missed off my order ( understandable). Staff served me with an incorrect drink, which when handed back was questioned in an inappropriate manner; what happened to the customer always being right?
The food was awful, every portion of chips was undercooked as was my burger.
Awful, I will not give them my custom again.

3  Thank WestIndies396