“Amazing food”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Amazing food”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We loved this place. We were stopping at the nearby Coopers Campsite and after a long walk, thought we'd treat ourselves to a well deserved meal. Hubbie had the Steak Pie and I had the chicken and black pudding. Both were delicious. Also sampled some of the Nags own beer. Nags1577 or something like that. Lovely:) Will return as soon as possible.

London, United Kingdom
“The worst pub in the Peak District for 4 years running (my experience)”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The fact that you are at the start of the Pennine Way, in one of the most beautiful places in Britain, and sell alcohol and food means that people will visit you whatever you do so it would be easy to be pretty rubbish and still be full. So the Nags Head does exactly that. This is not a one trip review, I have been going to this pub for years as friends love to use it as a meeting-place and its a handy rendezvous for getting up onto Kinder. The staff reply to menu enquiries with single-word answers, portions of most meals are measly, a tiny jacket potato that would embarrass a Sheffield street-vendor is all they can be bothered to give me last time. The rest of it is standard pub-food poorly produced and expensive. Their real speciality perhaps, now perfected and consistently produced, is the most rubbery chips I have ever eaten. Their vegetable burger is a wet mushy turd in a dry old bun.

The pub has actually outdone its metropolitan neighbour Sheffield where circular plates have been outlawed in eateries for many years and uses a square plate with a bizarre corrugation. This is surely an optical device to disguise the fact that these plates aren't actually filled up.

In short: pathetic, an insult to the Peak District, overpriced rubbish. Walk past and go to the slightly better Ramblers or wait until you get back to Sheffield, Stockport, Manchester - in fact anywhere.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Gregoryiain
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Unappetising,uncooked food”
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I visited with a party of 11. Food was missed off my order ( understandable). Staff served me with an incorrect drink, which when handed back was questioned in an inappropriate manner; what happened to the customer always being right?
The food was awful, every portion of chips was undercooked as was my burger.
Awful, I will not give them my custom again.

3 Thank WestIndies396
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Don't visit here for the food!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here for tea on the way home from a long day out with the kids. The setting is beautiful but this is were it stops. The food is appaling. Everything is either fried or microwaved ready meals from someone like Brakes or 3663. I had the special which cost £11.95 promising slow cooked beef, vegetables, mash and red wine gravy in a giant yorkshire. The beef was so tough & dry I couldnt eat it, the mash was those frozen pellets you ping in the microwave, the veg was tasteless microwave stuff and as there was virtually no gravy it was impossible to eat the dry yorkshire. Next hubbys meal of fish and chips. The fish was frozen & fried up in, I assume, oil that needs a change as was an odd mucky colour. The kids had sausage, chips and beans. Oddly this also came with a salad?? The sausages were fried so much the ends were sticking out and burnt. I have to say this is by far the worst meal we have had in a very very long time. I can only assume those that say the food is decent are either part of the pub or have no idea what decent food is! I chose not to say anything before we left as there was only young girls in evidence and so not worth it. If you want food don't stop here!

3 Thank jonseyjames
Nat87Derbyshire, Manager at The Old Nags Head, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Reading this review is very disappointing there are so many untrue statements. Over the last couple of months we've employed some of the very best chefs who I'm sure are very upset about having there fresh food being classed as ready microwaved meals. Also having salads on children's meals are also recommended these days by schools, and many others who care about children's health. Vegetables would never be microwaved, there would be no point in getting fresh vegetables to ruin them like this. All our sausages are oven cooked as we have the very best from our local butchers with so many different flavours, frying them would only spoil the taste. I will now quote ''I have to say this is by far the worst meal we have had in a very very long time'' if this is so I would of asked to speak to a member of management being this disappointed so it could of been rectified. As we do a check back service this also could of been sorted very soon after receiving your meal, instead nothing was brought to our attention. I also think you have absolutely no right in writing that our customers from all over who come to visit don't know what decent food is. You may have your own opinion but please don't say anything that disrespectful about a lot of people who enjoy coming here for the food.

I hope next time you visit a restaurant/pub if your unhappy you will speak to there management team, as i'm sure like us there aim is to please there customers.

Regards,

Natalie Porter-Green
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Good pub grub”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Great sausage and mash and a large portion after a day's walking.
Choice of sausage, choice of mash and choice of gravy - couldn't be better.

2 Thank ValJH
Thank you for your review, The Sausage & Mash Pick & Mix has become a very popular dish with our hikers. With 3 different choices of sausages changing every few days from our very good butchers and then a range of mash to choose from. Again thank you for your feed back.

Regards,