“Excellent stay!”
Review of YHA Edale

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Edale
YHA Edale
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We went to peak district during Easter as a couple. Booked in Edale hostel for one night as this is the only one available in this area. We did read the reviews before the trip so were a bit worried and didn't expect too much. But luckily it turned out to be a very pleasant stay! The staff were very welcoming and helpful, especially the young gentleman Jamie at the front desk who helped us a lot and made some excellent suggestions. Nothing was too much trouble. We stayed in one of the family rooms which is warm, comfy, quiet and very clean. The view outside the hostel is just spectacular and the location perfect for walking. Dinner was basic but well cooked and tasty. Breakfast had a good range of choices. We are quite pleased with the portion as were about to do lots of walking through the snow. Certainly good value for the price. The hostel also has a game room and a spacious lounge with comfy sofas. The only thing that bothers me a bit is that somehow both hot and cold tap gives hot water. Will definitely come back when visiting this area again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor at the end of the corridor are very comfy and clean. The toilet/bathroom t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed here one night. I walked from the YHA at Eyam which was superb (quiet and clean) to the YHA at Edale which is a different kind of place altogether. It's an outdoor centre and is probably brilliant for youngsters. Plenty of space to let of steam and no frills.

It wasn't my cup of tea and I wouldn't stay there again as I found it very noisy with the big groups of kids (who were having an amazing time) and the tour organisers who were also young and very noisy, especially late at night sitting round chatting and laughing loudly while the rest of us were trying to sleep.

It's very basic but on the plus side it's very cheap to stay there and the food is excellent. Home cooked, big portions and very tasty. If you want somewhere full of life and activity you'd love it. But if you're looking for somewhere where you can sit and read quietly or have an unbroken night's sleep, it's probably not the place for you.

Room Tip: Doubt they have 'good' rooms. Mine was basic and functional (no lockers) but was warm and cl...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Spent a week here as part of and activity week run by NCS, the staff here are great; incredibly friendly and helpful. They have a good selection of outward bounds type activities on site such as a high ropes course and a Jacob's ladder, and they take you via minibus to various activities such as abseiling, caving and kayaking. The food was reasonably good and plentiful throughout the week and the rooms are OK if a little basic, but this is a youth hostel not the Ritz after all. The only issue to mention was the showers, the shared male wash room only only has three, which can be quite limited if you have 20 people cold and wet after jumping in a canal after raft building, and groups larger than 25 or so would definitely struggle to get everyone washed in the mornings!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Lincs
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Just spent a night here with a group. When we approached the deputy manager Ann, she was extremely helpful, made some excellent suggestions and was able to arrange a good deal.
When we arrived, I found all staff to be very friendly, helpful and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble, they all went out of there way to make sure our visit was a huge success.
The food was basic, nothing exotic but was well cooked and tasty and good value. The rooms were basic, but again, were clean, comfortable and warm.
People have criticised the hostel, but I have not experienced the same as them, this is a youth hostel and not a hotel, so this needs to be taken into consideration. I found it great to have no mobile signal, I got peace and quiet when I wanted it.
I would be more than happy to return again and look forward to another visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2012

This hostel was the worst place I have been too. The food was uncooked and bland and also made me ill. All the cutlery and plates were not even cleaned properly. The beds were only a few metres apart and were not clean. There was no staff in sight and the place was constantly noisy. There was also an awful smell.There was was no positives and i was glad to get out of there the next morning.

Room Tip: Dont choose a room, they are exremely cramped and dirty.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank trey e
Merriott, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Lovely location and friendly staff, this place is in the middle of nowhere - literally! I was walking the pennine way in march and made this my kick off point. I was the only one eating in the evening and the food was just ok, rather dried up but it filled a hole and it was better than the 3 mile round trip into edale. I took a fairly early night after reading my book and settled down to sleep in my dorm together with 2 others who were there before me. Well I tried. Unfortunately there was a group of school kids there who were running around screaming and yelling. I don't mind kids with high spirits (used to be one myself) so just waited for the teacher or staff member to get around to telling them to calm down for the night and get some sleep. This didn't happen, and the noise just got worse and then they started knocking on our door, then coming in and out of the room giggling. I had had enough by this stage and got out of bed to tell them myself. then we had quiet...until about 5.30am when they were up again!!!

Breakfast was better and I quite enjoyed it, staff very friendly. I do wish however that I had stayed in one of Edale's B&B's instead just for the peace and quiet!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank walker43
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2012

An amazing place. Clean, friendly, set in the hills with trees and wildlife all around.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank sue o
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edale
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
#8 of 77 in Manchester
YHA Ravenstor
YHA Ravenstor
#5 of 19 in Buxton

Been to YHA Edale? Share your experiences!