“Good budget accomodation but reception staff not very helpful” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of YHA Edale

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Edale
YHA Edale
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good budget accomodation but reception staff not very helpful”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

I've just got back from a 2 night stay and won't be rushing to return. The accomodation itself was fine - it's obviously not luxury but is sensibly priced for what it is and after a long day of hill walking I suspect we could have slept anywhere! Unfortunately, the reception staff were unhelpful and at times downright rude.
I had contacted them prior to arriving to say we would be travelling there after work on Friday so would be arriving quite late and would need dinner. They responded saying they had their own dining room and that there was no need to book in advance unless we were a large group.
I arrived at 8pm and was handed bedding and told my room was in kinder cottage. No directions were given at all and the staff member promptly disappeared into the office! Luckily a woman and her young daughter overheard the conversation and offered to show me to my room.
Having found the rest of my group we then went for dinner just after 8.30pm to find that they stop serving dinner at 7.15 and that the nearest pub stops serving at 9.30pm resulting in a mad dash back up the 70 steps to our room (in a seperate building) to grab car keys and money and then a race to the pub arriving at 9.15pm.
We then woke up early the next day ready for breakfast to be told by the dining room staff that we had to buy meal tokens at reception, which didn't open for another half hour. No one had mentioned having to buy tokens so we now had to wait for half an hour and then rush our breakfast to be ready to set off on our walk on time.
Arriving back at the YHA at 5.30pm (after a day of walking in rain and hail) we decided to get food early to save any issues later and I went to buy tokens at reception only for the staff member to laugh at me and say we'd left it to late as they needed to know in advance so the chef knew how much to cook! After a fairly heated discussion during which I pointed out this was not what I had been told prior to arriving (luckily by e-mail so could produce the written proof if she really wanted it) she agreed to go and check with the chef who seemed surprised by the question and said it would be absolutely fine for us to have dinner!
The reception staff were incredibly unhelpful and it felt very much as though they didn't really want to be there or to help us. The dining room staff were the exact opposite and were not just very helpful and polite but went out of their way to make sure we were happy!
As I said, I won't be rushing back. There are other YHA properties nearby and I will be trying them in future!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JanaBee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

In keeping with these credit crunched times, and with the general camaraderie of the group in mind, we decided to ditch the usual B&B accommodation we normally go for and try out a shared dorm in the Edale YHA.

The YHA is easily accessible from the train station and you have choice of a mile and half walk along the road or you can walk up towards the village and then turn right and take the very scenic cross country route (beware this route is a little more challenging in the dark after a couple of pints).

The hostel is a big old beast made up of a number of buildings set in lovely spacious grounds. Most of the accommodation is in shared dorms but there are a small number of family rooms which you may be able to bag as a couple if it’s not too busy. It's basic but functional clean accommodation and you are going to get what you pay for at £18 per night.

If you are in the area to make a trip up Kinder Scout a very big plus point is that you can begin your assent from behind the hostel and make a very nice round of the walk by descending down Jacob’s Ladder and ending up at The Old Nags Head.

We started the day with the very passable cooked breakfast which was a fiver, evening meals are also available, but if you want to do your own cooking there is a well equipped kitchen on site for you to use.

A word of warning for those us addicted to technology; there is no free wifi on site and I was wandering about in the hills above the hostel for at least 1/2 an hour trying to get a mobile signal.

This is not the place I would choose to stay if I was in the area for a romantic mini break, but having said that I liked this place a lot and would visit again if i was with the walking club or travelling on a tight budget.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
northants
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

For £18-20 a night, you cant expect wonders. This is a cheap and cheerful place to crash for the night whilst you walk/climb/cycle etc.
Easily located and signed from the main road- free parking adjacent.
Rooms are all communal bunkbed dorms except for four family rooms downstairs.
Meals are available on site, £9 got us soup, a curry, and a dessert.
There is a bar of sorts, (a locked cupboard manned by the chef) where you can get some ales, lagers and wine.
The place is a bit tatty, but as you'd expect.
Internet access via one computer- no wi-fi and you will NOT get a mobile phone signal here!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
uk east midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2010

I went with my adult son for a day's walking & found the location perfect for getting straight into the countryside. The helpful desk staff gave us a map for a day's walk to suit our abilities, for a 20p donation, & talked us through the start from the YHA. We had arrived the previous night after a pleasant 1.5 mile walk from the local railway station . There was a walk over the fields which we didn't find out about till we got there but the road was not too bad.
If we were to go again we would take our own food & cook in the self-catering kitchen ( no coffee-pot, though ). The catering was traditional & perfectly adequate with veggie alternatives & packed lunches, but if you're foodies - as we are - you may want something slightly more adventurous.
The place was full of school children who made mealtimes a little rowdy - except after they'd just done some dangerous/lively activity. We didn't think to ask who else was booked in.
The bed I had had some noticeable springs which I covered with a spare duvet & then slept well - after all the walking!
The walking was the important thing really & the YHA had the location to suit.

• Stayed May 2010
2 Thank vera_lana
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edale
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 2 in Eyam
YHA Hartington Hall
YHA Hartington Hall
#2 of 6 in Hartington

Been to YHA Edale? Share your experiences!