“A nice surprise in Brandon”
Review of Brandon House

Brandon House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brandon
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Was looking for cheapish B&B as a stop off point and very glad we found Brandon House. The staff were very friendly and helpful making a nice atmosphere. The room was big, clean and very nicely done out with a decent size flat screen TV, a good bathroom and a comfy bed. The full english was also good. I have marked down a little on sleep quality because the water system made quite a lot of noise in the evening as we were trying to drop off to sleep. We chatted to the staff about it and they were apologetic but it doesn't sound like there is much that can be done and it didn't disturb us once asleep. You could try asking not to be put in room 201 - may improve things? I also managed to forget my phone charger and the staff were really good about sending it back to me - thank you!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 11, 2011

We were staying for 2 nights and found everything to be as we had hoped, very clean and comfortable. All of the staff were so friendly, from the lady on reception ( it was her first day) to the waitresses and housekeeping staff. We had dinner in the bar and it was delicious. Would reccommend it iof you`re in the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2011

On arrival it was difficult to get the attention of the 2 people on the reception desk who were very involved in their own conversation and this set the standard of the very mixed service that we received during the whole of our visit.

The hotel renovations are still incomplete but what has been done is contemporary and clean and our first floor room very pleasant although the hot water was only warm at 16.00 on saturday afternoon. The lack of consistant service was the main feature of our stay though and we were told at various points that the manager had left, the chef was new and several of the staff seemed to be on their first day and although willing clearly had no idea what was expected of them. The person nominally in charge said he was the owner but had no idea about hospitality which says it all.

Such a shame and we hope that a team can be created to make a success of this hotel.

Incidentally we found the dinner average at best although the cooked breakfast was very nice.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank happydiners13
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I stayed here twice recently. On the first visit I was on the top floor. I believe that I was, with my colleagues, the first guests into the newly refurbished top floor. My second visit found me on the first floor in a very large room.

Each room , though of different sizes, were of an equally high standard. TV, bathroom, comfy bed ... all is very good.

Breakfast is also good. I visited a friend on the second visit. Our first visit coincided with a change in kitchen staff. As such I cannot comment from first hand experience as to the catering now. However, the reports I received from my colleagues were all very positive.

Brandon is a small place with a good range of facilities, transport choices and things, places to visit around the area.

Would I recommend this hotel ? Without a doubt.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2011

My partner and I have just returned from a 3 night stay in Brandon House. It is a beautiful old building with the inside recently having undergone a refurbishment to a very high standard. The staff are all hard-working, friendly and helpful. As well as our Full English Breakfasts every morning, we also had dinner in the hotel on 2 occasions and they were excellent. If we ever venture down that part of the country again, we will be sure to be staying in Brandon House.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Have recently moved to Brandon and havent been to impressed with some of the local restaurants. Tried the Brandon House for my husbands birthday and was very pleased
and impressed. The building has been restored very tastefully - the decor is modern but comfortable and welcoming.
Loved the food - good variable menu - the staff were particularly good - friendly and attentive.
Can't comment on the hotel side of the business but would definately recommend the restaurant - I would be very happy to take friends and family.
Have been told that the Sunday lunch is also excellent so we will be trying it soon.
Well done Brandon House and I wish you all the luck in the future - you are definately what the town needs.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Carolemumsie
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I turned up at the hotel early evening having driven for seven hours from Northumberland on business and was met be an empty reception desk and a bar populated by locals. I was duly ignored by the barman. I rung the bell and a member of staff turned up and ignored me, when I asked if I could check in I was told she would send someone down.

Eventually a helpful member of staff turned up and checked me in, he carried my case up and told me this would be the best room I had ever stayed in, so I was suprised when I found my room had magnolia woodchip wallpaper.

The room was spatious and airy with a view over the rear lawn.

For dinner I was served by the person who had shown me to my room, I ordered steak and chips and was advised I could not have ketchup. The steak was good but the dinner was extremely salty.

Later the same evening the same member of staff was serving at the bar I commended him for his multi-tasking and wondered if there were any other staff, he laughed.

On the next morning Friday I had a long drive home and after having checked my room information it said that breakfast was served until 10am, when I turned up at 9.20am I was told by I presume to be the manageress (as I had seen her in the bar the previous evening call the shots) that the breakfast had finished and added patronisingly that as far as she knew it was Friday and not the weekend. When I showed her that the menu said that breakfast was served until 10am she told me that she had printed new menus, I advised her she needs to also change her information in the room. There was no apology from the manageress.

As a Director of a thriving engineering business I know that clients can be difficult but without client relationships there is no business. I feel that the Brandon House hotel sees the customers as a burden, maybe they are more interested in the wedding market and day to day customers are too much trouble.

Positive: room size and clean
Negatives: management I have run a thriving consultancy for 20yrs by treating our clients with respect, good luck.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank MarkBell41
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brandon
Travelodge Thetford Hotel
#7 of 7 in Thetford
Travelodge Barton Mills
Travelodge Barton Mills
#2 of 2 in Barton Mills

Been to Brandon House? Share your experiences!