“Dales Treat”
Review of The Willow

The Willow
Ranked #7 of 12 Pateley Bridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 11, 2013

After doing some research online and reading reviews myself and partner decided to visit the Willow in Pateley Bridge. I must admit I had even read the negative review but simply when you have so many positive reviews out weighing those of negative we decided to make up our own minds. Has to be said I am glad we did. I understand the need to review critically but have in fact done the same from time to time. But myself and partner couldn't disagree more. We had a beautiful afternoon tea. Then a little walk around the stunning village. So good was the afternoon tea we decided to head back for evening super. Which I have to say was cooked to perfection. I had the roast pork which was a delight followed by what can only be described and the biggest portion of brand snap baskets I have ever seen. A true delight and we will be back again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hannah J
ninness, Owner at The Willow, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments it makes it worth while to get positive feedback

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Three of us stayed at the Willow during the Way of the Roses Cycle Ride. It was a perfect place to stay. The rooms were large and comfortable, the staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. We ate in the restaurant at night and the food was lovely (and excellent value). My gluten free diet was catered for - again, nothing was too much trouble. The substantial, tasty breakfast was just what we needed before setting off. Thank you.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
ninness, Owner at The Willow, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is absolutely everything I hate in eating establishments. Sticky,old fashioned mahogany seats with old cushions,slow insincere service when there's only a few tables in this tiny space, front door open to attract you in, at the cost of diners shivering in the incoming breeze. Food was bland and most definitely not worthy of writing home about (my own roast dinners are better). It was also full of old couples who sit there with no conversation for each other as they have exhausted every topic at their golden wedding anniversaries . The bit that really 'did it' for me was sitting there for far too long waiting for our dirty plates to be removed from our table- infact they never did get removed- WE moved ourselves and got the bill. It was clearly going to take another hour for the desert course!!!!!! Through no time during our visit did we have eye contact from the waiting staff or see a smile. All very very poor, even for a no-frills establishment, this is NOT worth a visit if you are under 70 years old and you actually want good food served well in pleasant surroundings- there is more to life than a value meal!!!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank SMILEYSPY
ninness, Owner at The Willow, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

I was astonished to read the ‘review’ by someone who signs himself a Tinker. I cannot help but wonder what sort of chairs he is accustomed to sitting on. This is a cottage restaurant in an 18th century oak-beamed building with dark beech tables and antique style loose-cushion Windsor chairs in beech in the dining area and upholstered mahogany ‘club’ chairs in the bar area. We deliberately selected cottage style chairs to be in keeping. If the reviewer is looking for plastic or chrome chairs, he will not find them here. For dinner our tables have ironed tablecloths and napkins in white linen, clean daily. No plastic table tops or plastic tablecloths here.

Regarding food we use the best fresh meat from local, award-winning butchers in our High Street and the finest fresh fish and seafood delivered here direct from Whitby. There is none better. Our fresh vegetables come from local suppliers, some even grown in local allotments. No frozen food is used here, but perhaps the reviewer is used to the taste of processed or frozen food.

Our friendly staff are on first-name terms with many customers, and even first-time newcomers soon find themselves at ease. In fact clients will often find themselves chatting with other diners on nearby tables. People are like that in Yorkshire. I cannot know what effort the reviewer made to engage any member of staff in conversation but it does not seem to have been much. Everybody else seems to manage it.

Regarding the age groups of our clientele, we regularly have cyclists staying and dining here and I doubt many of them are over seventy. One particular group regularly cycles thirty miles here for our famous all-day breakfasts, and tell us it is well worth the trip. They obviously would not do it if it wasn’t.

It is unfortunate if this reviewer was here on a night when someone forgot to close the door on leaving. Most people used to eating out would simply get up and close it or ask a member of staff to do so, but this seems not to have occurred to your reviewer.

This is a traditional cottage restaurant with traditional English food, not some sort of fast-food or pizza parlour, which your reviewer seems more accustomed to and would perhaps be happier with.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have eaten at the Willow our a number of years, it never disappoints.
We had our evening meals at the Willow when staying locally, well worth the short drive in to town for good food in comfortable surroundings.
Public car park right opposite was free after 6.00pm.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stopped here on the Way of the Roses cycle route. The accommodation was characterful clean and very comfortable. The service was excellent and the breakfast just what you need before a hard day's cycling.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
ninness, Owner at The Willow, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind comments hope when you come back to England you will visit again.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Had an early bird meal (2courses for 11.95 or so). The food is homemade and staff friendly. I had starter of deep fried brie with salad and sweet chilli sauce; the brie was done to perfection. May partners mushroom soup was delicious. Main was chicken breast stuffed with spinach and mozzarella, he had steak pie both with new spuds, carrots and beans. Fit to burst! We will be back on next visit to the area

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
ninness, Owner at The Willow, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments we hope to see you again

Reviewed June 3, 2013

What a find for my wife and I. Great home cooking and excellent value. We had garlic mushrooms for starters - no creamy sludge here, just good quality mushrooms in a garlicky buttery sauce that didn't cling - you know what I mean. Main course was steak pie - not an individual one but one from a big dish and with shortcrust pastry all the way round. A proper pie and big chunks of tender meat - lovely.
Fianlly stick toffee pudding; I know sticky toffee pudding! You've never tasted sticky toffee pudding like this. Light and with gorgeous home made custard just as it should be and a sauce so light to perfectly complement the moist, tasty pudding. We'll be going again and we'll be taking friends! I liked Pateley Bridge so much I blogged about it http://bit.ly/17VrvkM

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

#8 of 12 in Pateley Bridge
East Wayside B&B
East Wayside B&B
#1 of 1 in Greenhow Hill

Been to The Willow? Share your experiences!