“Dreadfully rude!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pateley Bridge
The Sportsman's Arms Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Pateley Bridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 14, 2009

My Fiance and I walked into the sportsman to acquire about accomodation. We are getting married in Pateley next year and were looking to accomodate a number of guests. We approached the bar and after being completey ignored for 5 minutes were finally spoken to by a member of staff. We enquired about accomodation details for our wedding to be told they were already booked for a wedding..... I found this hard to believe being that we hadnt even told them the date or year!!!!! Unless you happen to drive up in a brand new Bentley dripping with diamonds, the staff at the Sportsmans will not give you the time of day.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Littlelegsme

Reviewed August 20, 2009

My husband was given an overnight stay for his 65th Birthday, from his brother, and oh what a fabulous time we had. The atmosphere was friendly, the rooms were spacious and comfortable (ours overlooked the front of the building), the staff very helpful and courteous and the food was out of this world. Could not wish for a better location.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2009

My family and I have just returned after a weekend stay at The Sportsmans Arms, Pateley Bridge and I have NOTHING negative to say.

The views and grounds were breathtaking, our room was lovely and very spacious, the hotel itself was quaint, cosy and had a wonderful traditional feel to it.

Nothing was too much for the staff - we had a very warm welcome and this contiued throughout every meal.

Our meals was exceptional, from a full english breakfast (with plenty of alternative choices) through to a la carte standards in the main restaurant.

I would highly recommend this hotel, our family and friends had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2009

Roaring fires, matched by the warmest of welcomes made this Hotel a stay to remember. All of the staff were immensely friendly and the quality of food was a high light of our stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2008

Whilst staying in Lofthouse recently with my family, we decided to visit the Sportsman's Arms for an evening meal.
We had read a good review and I phoned ahead to let them know we were coming at 7pm, my wife, myself and our 2 daughters aged 9 + 12.
On arrival at the Hotel I settled the girls at a table and walked to the bar, smiling I bid the barlady a 'hello, good evening'.
After a silence of about 4 seconds I raised my eyebrows and did a slightly embarrassed grin, still nothing, approximateley 10 seconds after my opening greeting I decided to order a drink, then and only then did this awful woman utter a breath.!!!!

I was dumbfounded to say the least, I ordered the drinks and then the lady told me that the menu was on the wall by the bar, we all had to stand by the bar and read it which was a little odd. Especially as other patrons seemed to be looking at hand held menus.? I have no idea what her problem was but she was as stiff as her shirt and tie. We had had a lovely week in Yorkshire and she was the only negative, she spoilt our evening, we paid for our drinks and went to the Crown in Lofthouse which was charming, warm and welcoming.

Incidentally there was an Indian man working at the Sportsman's who was nicer to us and seemed a litttle embarrassed to be working with such an awful, awful woman.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank shebbsy
Reviewed August 6, 2007

I recently stayed at this picture-perfect hotel after attending a wedding in the grounds. Both the food at the wedding and the breakfast the next morning were delicious and the staff serving at the wedding were lovely. The views were perfect and it looked like an idyllic country hotel.

Ray, the owner, was pleasant and helpful. However, my stay at the hotel was marred by the rudeness of the staff serving in the main bar of the hotel and those serving breakfast in the restaurant the next day. Nobody smiled and they insulted a number of guests who had attended the wedding with their sarcastic comments. After the wedding, when one woman politely asked if they had the number of a local taxi firm, the bar staff, who were not inundated with customers at that point, said: "That's really not my priority right now."

At breakfast the next morning, we were told they were only serving a full English Breakfast - there was no choice. When the waitress took our order I asked for mine without the meat, as I'm a vegetarian, only to be told that I could "pick it off my plate" when it arrived. When I asked if they could just leave the meat off the plate in the first place, the waitress gave a huge sigh and stomped off to the kitchen. I've never seen anything like it.

The room was clean and nice with a decent-sized bathroom, but not worth the £110 we paid for the night. Apart from the Molton Brown products in the bathroom there was nothing to really separate the room from those in cheaper hotels I've stayed in. With a bit of customer service training for some of the staff and slightly lower prices this could be an amazing hotel but I left feeling disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
7  Thank jjgirl79
Reviewed August 6, 2007

Stayed for 2 nights in August 2007. Fantastic hotel - absolutely beautiful location. The staff are very friendly indeed, nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are elegant & large and in a very nice condition. The food is lovely & the dining room is very tastefully done out. I simply cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. The beautiful village of Pateley Bridge is only 3 minutes away, with Harrogate, Ripon or York within easy travelling distance.

• Stayed: August 2007
#4 of 12 in Pateley Bridge
The Crown Inn
The Crown Inn
#8 of 12 in Pateley Bridge

Been to The Sportsman's Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!