“Excellent food and friendly hotel in a beautiful location”
Review of The Yorke Arms

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pateley Bridge
The Yorke Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pateley Bridge
Reviewed November 8, 2010

I took my partner to this hotel to celebrate his birthday. It had been recommended by friends and we weren't disappointed. The staff were extremely personable, friendly and helpful and the food was delicious, without being pretentious. The setting is beautiful, helped I must admit by two days of glorious autumnal weather, but even had it rained we would have been happy to get wet walking and then dry out by the fire. The only downside is the price, but as it was a special occasion, we splashed out.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 3, 2010

We intended to go to the Yorke Arms next year for a few days for my 60th birthday. We sent them an EMail asking for clarification on certain issues, as we found the web site less than informative. No prices for meals, only 6 courses listed for an 8 course tasting menu etc. When they didn't reply, I mailed again (even though I knew they had received the first). Still no reply, so I telephoned. I was told the email address quoted on the web site was wrong?!?

Shortly I received a reply from the EMail I sent to the "wrong" EMail address, saying they didn't get my original EMail, and that they always answer EMails promptlyl. (If you are having trouble getting your head round this imagine how I felt.)

This EMail from them still didn't answer my questions, so I sent them another seeking clarification. When I didn't get a reply from this one, I resent it, only to get a rather abrupt EMail back saying they had received it twice.

Not once was the special occasion mentioned, and the contact was arrogant. Having stayed at many high class hotels in the past (Le Manoir, Gidleigh Park, Lygon Arms etc) we expected a better response.

So we will be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
12  Thank TommoNorfolk
Reviewed September 8, 2010

The quality of the food and service at the Yorke Arms is outstanding. The setting is idyllic, as it usually is in the Dales, but the characterful coaching house is a treat in its own right.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We returned to the Yorke Arms for the second time, and it was even better than we remembered. The service was attentive, the room very comfortable with relaxing chairs and sofa to sit and look out from (Gouthwaite). We ate there both nights, having the tasting menu the second evening. The food was exceptional and as good, if not better, than establishments with more than one Michelin star. The dining room is beautifully furnished.

We did choose to take a pack lunch for the following day, and this wasn't as good as the food in the restaurant, so I would probably not bother with this again.

Overall, whilst it is not the cheapest place to stay, it is somewhere I will certainly return to and would not hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alvis68
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Picture the seen, lovely tranquil surroundings, beautiful calm atmosphere, cotton wool clouds with the peeping of the bright yellow sun pushing its way through onto the resoviour. Friendly and genuine villagers passing the time of day with a “hello how are you”. Do you feel you are there? Well I was there on Monday of this week to experience all these wonderful things of pately bridge.

I walked round the perimeter edge of pately bridge enjoying and absorbing the wonderful nature of the place, interacting with one of the local game keepers and one of the local farmers. I was so content, calm and at peace until I walked into Yorke Arms whereby I was treat with lack of respect as a potential customer. The staff were unable to serve a request of a soft drink upon my approach to the bar, which I find totally absurd especially when there were 2 members of staff one behind the bar and one at the side. Surely if staff are behind the bar this only indicates they are ready to offer their services of taking orders for drinks.

I have now visited Yorke Arms on several occasions when visiting pately bridge on my walks only to be met with a very cold and frosty service. I am a person that takes this kind of behaviour with an approach of not returning to Yorke Arms again; however this would not deter me from visiting Pately Bridge itself. I ask how many other visitors that have experienced the same service at Yorke Arms as me would re visit the tranquil setting of Pately Bridge.

It is with discontent and disappointment that I find myself feeling so let down by Yorke Arms to what is always a fantastic visit to Pately Bridge.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
8  Thank Mal28
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Having read the previous two reviews I'm not convinced I stayed at the same place! My husband and I stayed here on the second night of a two night Yorkshire break (the first night being in Leeds) and we both thought it was lovely. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and genuine.

We stayed in the Gouthwaite room which was large, clean and not at all shabby! A bigger bathroom would have been nice (I prefer a separate shower rather than one over the bath) but it was ultra modern and clean.

I had ordered a bottle of champagne for the room which was waiting for us when we arrived. We loved the homemade flapjack and chocolate brownie that was in the room with the kettle (and 'proper' coffee rather than instant that you so often get). We also liked having milk in a jug in the fridge rather than the little cartons of milk that are so often found in hotels.

We had pre dinner drinks (more champagne) in the lounge along with the most delicious canapes before going through to the restaurant where we had a lovely three course meal (I can definitely recommend the steak) along with a lovely bottle of red wine. We finished with coffee and chocloates back in the lounge before heading up for a great night's sleep in one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in for some time.

The next morning we skipped the cooked breakfast but I can honestly say the porridge was the best I had ever tasted (even better than that at the Balmoral in Edinburgh which we sampled a couple of weeks earlier).

I thought the price was very reasonable at £380 for dinner, bed and breakfast (due to the champagne, pre dinner drinks and wine with our meal the final bill was £487).

I sometimes think people have unrealistic expectations of these places. This is not a 5 star hotel and I don't think it tries to say that it is. It's a Michelin star restaurant with rooms (luxurious ones in my opinion) and should be treated as such.

We will definitely be returning in the future!

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JulesMc
Reviewed September 12, 2009

Although the location and property itself are undoubtedly charming, the service is pretentious and the prices eye-watering (two course dinner for two with 'cheap' bottle of wine £160, no dessert/coffee). The food was OK but not exceptional and vegetarian offering very poor indeed - certainly not a patch on The Box Tree at Ilkley. Dining room sparce and uncomfortable (spent one evening perched on an un-upholstered, ancient settle which creaked whenever I moved!). Whole place somehow lacked genuine hospitality and charm and I'm sorry to say that we will not be returning.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Burnsall
Burgoyne Hotel
Burgoyne Hotel
#1 of 2 in Reeth

Been to The Yorke Arms? Share your experiences!