“A gem in North Yorkshire”
Review of The Yorke Arms

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pateley Bridge
The Yorke Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pateley Bridge
Reviewed September 8, 2010

The quality of the food and service at the Yorke Arms is outstanding. The setting is idyllic, as it usually is in the Dales, but the characterful coaching house is a treat in its own right.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 11, 2010

We returned to the Yorke Arms for the second time, and it was even better than we remembered. The service was attentive, the room very comfortable with relaxing chairs and sofa to sit and look out from (Gouthwaite). We ate there both nights, having the tasting menu the second evening. The food was exceptional and as good, if not better, than establishments with more than one Michelin star. The dining room is beautifully furnished.

We did choose to take a pack lunch for the following day, and this wasn't as good as the food in the restaurant, so I would probably not bother with this again.

Overall, whilst it is not the cheapest place to stay, it is somewhere I will certainly return to and would not hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alvis68
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Picture the seen, lovely tranquil surroundings, beautiful calm atmosphere, cotton wool clouds with the peeping of the bright yellow sun pushing its way through onto the resoviour. Friendly and genuine villagers passing the time of day with a “hello how are you”. Do you feel you are there? Well I was there on Monday of this week to experience all these wonderful things of pately bridge.

I walked round the perimeter edge of pately bridge enjoying and absorbing the wonderful nature of the place, interacting with one of the local game keepers and one of the local farmers. I was so content, calm and at peace until I walked into Yorke Arms whereby I was treat with lack of respect as a potential customer. The staff were unable to serve a request of a soft drink upon my approach to the bar, which I find totally absurd especially when there were 2 members of staff one behind the bar and one at the side. Surely if staff are behind the bar this only indicates they are ready to offer their services of taking orders for drinks.

I have now visited Yorke Arms on several occasions when visiting pately bridge on my walks only to be met with a very cold and frosty service. I am a person that takes this kind of behaviour with an approach of not returning to Yorke Arms again; however this would not deter me from visiting Pately Bridge itself. I ask how many other visitors that have experienced the same service at Yorke Arms as me would re visit the tranquil setting of Pately Bridge.

It is with discontent and disappointment that I find myself feeling so let down by Yorke Arms to what is always a fantastic visit to Pately Bridge.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
8  Thank Mal28
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Having read the previous two reviews I'm not convinced I stayed at the same place! My husband and I stayed here on the second night of a two night Yorkshire break (the first night being in Leeds) and we both thought it was lovely. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and genuine.

We stayed in the Gouthwaite room which was large, clean and not at all shabby! A bigger bathroom would have been nice (I prefer a separate shower rather than one over the bath) but it was ultra modern and clean.

I had ordered a bottle of champagne for the room which was waiting for us when we arrived. We loved the homemade flapjack and chocolate brownie that was in the room with the kettle (and 'proper' coffee rather than instant that you so often get). We also liked having milk in a jug in the fridge rather than the little cartons of milk that are so often found in hotels.

We had pre dinner drinks (more champagne) in the lounge along with the most delicious canapes before going through to the restaurant where we had a lovely three course meal (I can definitely recommend the steak) along with a lovely bottle of red wine. We finished with coffee and chocloates back in the lounge before heading up for a great night's sleep in one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in for some time.

The next morning we skipped the cooked breakfast but I can honestly say the porridge was the best I had ever tasted (even better than that at the Balmoral in Edinburgh which we sampled a couple of weeks earlier).

I thought the price was very reasonable at £380 for dinner, bed and breakfast (due to the champagne, pre dinner drinks and wine with our meal the final bill was £487).

I sometimes think people have unrealistic expectations of these places. This is not a 5 star hotel and I don't think it tries to say that it is. It's a Michelin star restaurant with rooms (luxurious ones in my opinion) and should be treated as such.

We will definitely be returning in the future!

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JulesMc
Reviewed September 12, 2009

Although the location and property itself are undoubtedly charming, the service is pretentious and the prices eye-watering (two course dinner for two with 'cheap' bottle of wine £160, no dessert/coffee). The food was OK but not exceptional and vegetarian offering very poor indeed - certainly not a patch on The Box Tree at Ilkley. Dining room sparce and uncomfortable (spent one evening perched on an un-upholstered, ancient settle which creaked whenever I moved!). Whole place somehow lacked genuine hospitality and charm and I'm sorry to say that we will not be returning.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank IlkleyTraveller2
Reviewed August 23, 2009

My husband and I stayed for one night and I cannot begin to tell you how disappointed we were. The atmosphere was stuffy, the food was like a good restaurant from the 1990's (and yes we do have a discerning palate) the rooms are vastly over priced and very shabby. when we arrived we were told the restaurant was full and surprise surprise when we went for dinner half the tables were empty and the atmosphere was like a headmasters office. As we left we spoke to some other guests and they felt the same.... they(The Yorke Arms) better be careful people expect value for money these days!
I'd love to read a review by AA Gill, All smoke and mirrors is a saying that springs to mind. Good points...yes
being able to tell our friends and fellow foodies not to bother!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AandJG
Reviewed July 20, 2009

We stayed for a seventh time at the Yorke Arms in December 2008. It had snowed the previous evening and this added to the atmosphere. Once again we we given a superb welcome by the staff and the General Manager, John Tullett in particular. During our three night stay, nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The food remains incredible and Frances Atkins is a star in more than the Michelin variety. This time we stayed in Gouthwaite and the room was superb. each evening of our stay, John explained the menu and made recommednations that were " spot -on". Without a doubt the best place to eat and stay north of the Thames.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
The Devonshire Fell Hotel
Beck Hall Malham
Beck Hall Malham
#1 of 1 in Malham

Been to The Yorke Arms? Share your experiences!