“Great country hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Yorke Arms

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pateley Bridge
The Yorke Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pateley Bridge
Lincoln, UK
“Great country hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2009

Having read the previous two reviews I'm not convinced I stayed at the same place! My husband and I stayed here on the second night of a two night Yorkshire break (the first night being in Leeds) and we both thought it was lovely. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and genuine.

We stayed in the Gouthwaite room which was large, clean and not at all shabby! A bigger bathroom would have been nice (I prefer a separate shower rather than one over the bath) but it was ultra modern and clean.

I had ordered a bottle of champagne for the room which was waiting for us when we arrived. We loved the homemade flapjack and chocolate brownie that was in the room with the kettle (and 'proper' coffee rather than instant that you so often get). We also liked having milk in a jug in the fridge rather than the little cartons of milk that are so often found in hotels.

We had pre dinner drinks (more champagne) in the lounge along with the most delicious canapes before going through to the restaurant where we had a lovely three course meal (I can definitely recommend the steak) along with a lovely bottle of red wine. We finished with coffee and chocloates back in the lounge before heading up for a great night's sleep in one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in for some time.

The next morning we skipped the cooked breakfast but I can honestly say the porridge was the best I had ever tasted (even better than that at the Balmoral in Edinburgh which we sampled a couple of weeks earlier).

I thought the price was very reasonable at £380 for dinner, bed and breakfast (due to the champagne, pre dinner drinks and wine with our meal the final bill was £487).

I sometimes think people have unrealistic expectations of these places. This is not a 5 star hotel and I don't think it tries to say that it is. It's a Michelin star restaurant with rooms (luxurious ones in my opinion) and should be treated as such.

We will definitely be returning in the future!

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JulesMc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Ilkley, West Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2009

Although the location and property itself are undoubtedly charming, the service is pretentious and the prices eye-watering (two course dinner for two with 'cheap' bottle of wine £160, no dessert/coffee). The food was OK but not exceptional and vegetarian offering very poor indeed - certainly not a patch on The Box Tree at Ilkley. Dining room sparce and uncomfortable (spent one evening perched on an un-upholstered, ancient settle which creaked whenever I moved!). Whole place somehow lacked genuine hospitality and charm and I'm sorry to say that we will not be returning.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IlkleyTraveller2
York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

My husband and I stayed for one night and I cannot begin to tell you how disappointed we were. The atmosphere was stuffy, the food was like a good restaurant from the 1990's (and yes we do have a discerning palate) the rooms are vastly over priced and very shabby. when we arrived we were told the restaurant was full and surprise surprise when we went for dinner half the tables were empty and the atmosphere was like a headmasters office. As we left we spoke to some other guests and they felt the same.... they(The Yorke Arms) better be careful people expect value for money these days!
I'd love to read a review by AA Gill, All smoke and mirrors is a saying that springs to mind. Good points...yes
being able to tell our friends and fellow foodies not to bother!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AandJG
Kingsbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

We stayed for a seventh time at the Yorke Arms in December 2008. It had snowed the previous evening and this added to the atmosphere. Once again we we given a superb welcome by the staff and the General Manager, John Tullett in particular. During our three night stay, nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The food remains incredible and Frances Atkins is a star in more than the Michelin variety. This time we stayed in Gouthwaite and the room was superb. each evening of our stay, John explained the menu and made recommednations that were " spot -on". Without a doubt the best place to eat and stay north of the Thames.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LOkingsbury
Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2009

There is no doubting the quality of the food at the restaurant. It is wonderful and far better than any one or two Michelin star restaurant I have eaten in. I'd say, for the money, it is one of the best restaurants in England.
BUT, and I say this with great regret - the atmosphere created by the Maitre D is woeful. Dishes are brought out of the kitchen by unsmiling waiting staff as if they were sacred relics. The Maitre D is unfailingly po-faced, rather like the worst sort of snooty shop assistant. This is all terribly old-fashioned, and utterly out of kilter with what should and could be a delightful country restaurant in beautiful surroundings.
The effect this has on diners is to kill the mood. Couples talk in hushed tones in the dining room. As an added note, in the smaller dining room, there are some deeply uncomfortable bench-style seats. Again, the effect is of being expected to pay homage to the food, rather than enjoying a great meal. I recommend you ask for regular chairs when you book.
I would still recommend you go, the food is that good. But be prepared to take your own atmosphere with you...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Fleurie44
South Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2009

Although we very much enjoyed our trip to the Yorke Arms we were disappointed with our room. We didn't have high expectations of the room after reading reports on tripadvisor. The room was small and the bathroom outdated, although the heated towel rail was very welcome. The food in the restaurant was excellent, as was the service. We spent a relaxing time before the meal in the lounge which was very pleasant. However, I would have expected real candles in such a quality establishment not pretend candles!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gelatoholic
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2009

The reception we received and the service throughout our stay was second to none. The food was an incredible experience - could not be faulted. The reception areas are comfortable, homely and welcoming. However we did think the rooms were vastly overpriced - the bed was a good size but the bathroom was tiny and difficult to move around in.. I do not think the price we were charged for the room was justified. I would recommend the restaurant to friends without question but I would not recommend rooms at the inflated cost.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
The Devonshire Fell Hotel
The Old Deanery
The Old Deanery
#1 of 5 in Ripon

Been to The Yorke Arms? Share your experiences!