“Excellence off the beaten track”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Yorke Arms

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pateley Bridge
The Yorke Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pateley Bridge
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Excellence off the beaten track”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

The Yorke Arms is somewhere we have always wanted to visit for a meal but we knew it had to be linked to a stay.The accomodation really is very comfortable,warm and cosy (and with a lovely garden and a chef's table in a "tent" in the middle of it !!).We had a tasting menu which encouraged us to try things we might otherwise not do.My wife needs gluten free and this was easily catered for.As well as the food being fantastic,the Staff are so friendly,helpful and efficient.A thoroughly enjoyable one night treat.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Skipton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

It was a birthday treat for my wife. We had lunch in the main dining area. Raining outside and warm and cosy inside , we were seated next to the glow of the fire.

We have recently visited a number of reputable Michelin star restaurants and whilst all have been excellent, the Yorke Arms so far heads our ratings list.
The food was so delicate, with so many subtle tastes that we would have benefited from having the menu on hand to refer to, just to remind us of the wealth of ingredients that had gone into creating such exquisitely presented food.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

A group of 6 of us visited The Yorke Arms for the bank holiday weekend. One of my friends had been before and recommended it but it was my first time there. Our room was great - we booked one of the superior courtyard rooms and it was well worth the extra. My friends room was nice too, but with a group of us there, it was great to have the lounge area to get together in.

We had dinner in the restaurant each night and the standard was amazing for each meal. Obviously as its a Michelin star restaurant we were expecting it to be great, and all of us agreed that the food was better than we'd hoped!

We didn't have breakfast as we were out very early each morning, but we thoroughly enjoyed our weekend and we're already planning to return next year and do it again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank DSDylan
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I took my wife to The Yorke Arms for a two night stay to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary, and it certainly didn't disappoint.

We were greeted with champagne on arrival and shown to our room, which was spotless and beautifully decorated. The views of the surrounding countryside were spectacular, and the character of the building itself made it even more special.

We had the summer tasting menu both nights, and we were blown away by the quality of the food. Although we had a fantastic time overall, the evening meals were by far the highlight.

We'll definitely be back later in the year to try the winter menu - thank you to all at The Yorke Arms for helping to make our anniversary so special.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul J
Teesside
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Just returned from spending the night at the Yorke Arms on the midweek special offer to include afternoon tea, taster menu, wine, room and breakfast. I have to say it was excellent value for money. I agree with a previous review that the afternoon tea is a let down. No savoury just some cake, biscuits and fruit cake with Wensleydale cheese. The cake was very dry and we left it. My son asked for some sandwiches to be made as he was hungry and had expected some kind of savoury to be included. The sandwiches were very nice and they were charged separately.
Our rooms were clean and comfortable, nothing too exciting but there again we were on a special deal so we were content with what was offered.
What made this experience so special was the evening taster menu. The food was outstanding and we have eaten at several Michelin restaurants, including the Box Tree Ilkley a few days earlier(separate review) we enjoyed every course and thought the flavours and presentation to be outstanding. The deal included a pre dinner champagne cocktail and a glass of red and white wine with the appropriate courses. The reason I have marked this as 4 star was because of the afternoon tea, it was poor to say the least.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BettyBoopTeesside
United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

We were a late booking for a Saturday night and I think we got the last room which was described as a ‘large double’ for £399 DB&B. What we got was a bungled loft conversion (Room 14), right in the roof, which was accessed by some truly steep stairs. OK, the weather was heatwave hot and you can’t blame the hotel for that, but that room was a sauna. It was also impractical with rudimentary design flaws that minimised space rather than maximised it. There was this ridiculous freestanding bath in the bedroom area that took up acres of space when you couldn’t walk on either side of the bed. The sitting area was basically one vast sofa with an ill-fitting cover which concealed brown stains. The windows were slitty velux things which didn’t give much of a view of the lovely surrounding countryside. The bathroom itself seemed newish and was spotlessly clean but there was also a cupboard door which we opened and saw water tanks, pipes, dust, spiders’ webs and a tray of rat poison. This erratic eerie most definitely wasn’t worth the money and we could never have spent more than one night up there.

Downstairs there is a lot of decent art on the walls but we were given the worst table for dinner, a pokey corner in a charmless and airless spillover room. When we asked for tap water we were told that the hotel’s water supply had recently been officially assessed as unsuitable for human consumption so we had to have bottled water.

Anyway, we sat down at 7.30pm and were galloped through our pre-starter, our starter and our main course by 7.50pm. We pointed this frenzied sprint out to our waiter who apologised but by this time we were pretty fed up with the whole amateurish show and went outside to get some fresh air and we stayed there, eating our plum clafoutis which turned out to be the highlight of the Michelin-starred meal. While the first two courses had lovely saucing, they were notable only for the miniscule portions - my slightly overcooked turbot weighed maybe 2oz with a thimbleful of cold lobster plus a dessert spoonful of risotto rice and a few microscopic wild mushrooms. My wife was given one quail egg as a starter and a sliver of salmon for her main course.

This was a menu designed by the chef and approved by her accountant so we weren’t surprised to see a basic breakfast buffet and receive just one fried and one scrambled egg each. I’m sorry to say that on this occasion the popular Yorke Arms exuded a sort of meanness, not the generosity you find at many privately owned country places.

One final thing: a hotel employee on this warm Saturday evening decided to use a strimmer for two hours while guests sat outside trying to enjoy the peace and unusual beauty of this hotel’s location. Did he do that on purpose?

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Pausanias
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was taken here by my fiancé for a surprise birthday meal as we have a tradition of Michelin's for birthdays. We started with drinks and this was followed by the 8 course tasting menu which was fantastic. The service was good but not as great as some of the others I have been to, the cutlery was fairly heavy so was therefore unwieldy for both us and for the waiter who dropped a knife on my partners leg. When I went to the bathroom I found discarded tissues on the side of the sink. We finished off with coffee/tea in the lounge, when I asked for honey with my mint tea I was somewhat surprised to be given a large, already open jar of honey on a side plate with a piece of kitchen towel underneath it... not what I would expect from a Michelin Star restaurant! Even in a bed and breakfast you get individual, unopened jars of honey.

I am aware I am being a harsh critic but I judge differently when going to a Michelin restaurant, expectations are higher and standards should be higher. As I said the food was wonderful, just a bit let down by one or two service details.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
The Devonshire Fell Hotel
The Old Deanery
The Old Deanery
#1 of 5 in Ripon

Been to The Yorke Arms? Share your experiences!