“It's a Michelin starred Restaurant not a pub” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Yorke Arms

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pateley Bridge
The Yorke Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pateley Bridge
York, United Kingdom
“It's a Michelin starred Restaurant not a pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Following our visit in May (see review15th May) went back with friends in November 2012. Just as sublime as ever. I took the trouble to make sure both superior suites were available and we stayed two nights with a trip to Bowes Museum over the Dales in magnificent November (sic!) sunshine).

Like another reviewer, I am exasperated by the very negative reviews of passing walkers who want a coffee or a pint and use of the loo. It is a brilliant Michelin starred Restaurant with rooms and not a pub or even a Hotel. When we go there for a treat, the last thing I want is to be mixing it with muddy boots and wet waterproofs even though I am an enthusiastic hill walker myself.

I admit it does look enticing, so if you want a superb dinner, book on line and put your best togs on and enjoy!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Anthony H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Mirfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We came here the day after our wedding for a special 'mini-honeymoon' meal and the drive towards the Yorke Arms from Pateley Bridge is stunning! We stayed in the Longside suite with a massive four poster bed. The room was large with a separate sitting area and big Georgian windows lighting it up... It really is a beautiful room. But of course the main reason to be here is the food, and having built it up so much in mind over the weeks before, I half expected to be disappointed... I wasn't. Each of the individual components that made up each dish were great on their own... But if you combined them with one another, you got an explosion of flavour! I guess this is what makes good food into great food! By far the best meal I've ever eaten!

I've seen a number of comments about the furniture being old and how it doesn't fit in with an establishment of this quality, but it absolutely does and in fact enhances it.

The service is a little stiff, and maybe could do with being a little more relaxed, but at no point did we feel like they were snooty or hurrying us along.

One negative we had was the price of drinks, we had a gin and tonic, and a disaronno and cranberry juice... £20... I'm perfectly happy to pay more for food of this quality, but I don't think any magic was weaved on the drinks to warrant such a price, after all, Disaronno is the same here as it is from the supermarket.

Overall, we had a fantastic night's stay at the Yorke Arms, and would definitely come back!

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank y30man5
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

We decided on a last minute getaway - originally intending just to come for lunch we decided to push the boat out and go for dinner followed by an overnight stay. The meal is probably one of the best i have ever had. From the canapes to the desert the food was absolutely delicious - but also interesting with combinations that I hadnit expected. I enjoyed my veal kidneys with the red deer so much they kindly arranged for me to have some again with my breakfast - comlete bliss

We originally booked an "executive" room which turned out to be out the back through an uncovered courtyard and up a flight of steps. I think they might have mentioned this before we booked. We asked to be moved back into the hotel proper and we given the cheaper "large" room - which was very comfortable indeed.

I have seldom enjoyed a stay more

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Adrian025
tunbridge wells
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

My mother and I had a wonderful lunch at this michelin starred restaurant yesterday. The hotel is in a wonderful setting at the head of nidderdale and it was a magnificent drive over the moors and up the dale from Pateley Bridge along the side of the reservoir. There was a warm welcome with fires in the lounge and dining rooms. A first class pint of black sheep bitter to start with with complimentary parmesan tarts and light crisps.
Lunch commenced with an amuse bouche of goats curd with beetroot jelly. A lovely selection of homemade breads. To start with I had smoked cod loin, cured wild salmon, watercress mousse and a blend of crab meat and brown shrimps. My mother had a press of duck with bramble jelly. both dishes were delicious and beatifully presented.
For the main course my mother chose roast dexter beef from a farm in the village. It was beautifully tender with a rich taste and accompanied with large yorkshire pudding and vegetables. I had slow cooked mutton with girolles pommes puree and lentils. It was also delicious although I would have liked a little more of the mutton
Finally my mother had hot grand marnier souffle with chocolate sauce and raspberry sorbet whilst I had lemon curd tart with ginger ice cream.
The staff were friendly and the service impeccable. There is a fine wine list although we just had glasses of a lovely bourgogne.
All in all a wonderful occasion and one we shall repeat.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank john p
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I took my husband to the Yorke Arms for his 40th. It is in a really lovely hamlet and in a good walking area. We had a lovely lunch and wished we had booked in the rooms overnight as we didn't want to leave. We had a gin and tonic in the lounge before dinner and coffee and handmade petit fours by the fire afterwards which included a handiced happy birthday scroll.

Would definitely go again but would stop overnight!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fi7070
Durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I would give the restaurant 5 ******.

The food and service could not be faulted and the ambience was warm and mellow with real fires and subdued light.

Met the chef proprietor who is charming. It all works - the room was pretty good but not a match to the food with a small bathroom.
Beautiful location - worth a visit

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank hexaminer
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed here on 24th October as part of my 40th birthday treat. From the moment we arrived after a misty walk along the valley, we were treated impeccably. The entrance and bar areas were spotless and our Superior Room should have read Superior Rooms as it was 2-tiered and beautiful.
The Black Sheep was as good as anywhere and our hour in the Resident's Lounge reading, perusing the menu and nibbling on canapes was as relaxed as we'd felt for a longtime.
The Dining Room was wonderful, elegant yet perfectly suited to that part of the world. Staff were prompt and knowledgable but kept their distance appropriately. All 6 dishes my wife and I ordered were faultless,particularly the Mousse dessert which has to be tried to believe.
Breakfast was plentiful and my wife, who kindly paid the bill, summed it up when stating that the experience was great value for money.
P.S the flap jack awaiting us in our room was worth the money alone!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
The Devonshire Fell Hotel
The Old Deanery
The Old Deanery
#1 of 5 in Ripon

Been to The Yorke Arms? Share your experiences!