The Yorke Arms
$86
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
$111
The Devonshire Fell Hotel(Burnsall)
$105
The Unicorn(Ripon)(Great Value!)
$43
  • Restaurant
Talbot House(Pateley Bridge)
All reviewstasting menumichelin staramuse bouchemain coursefrances atkinspetit foursper headbrowniewine flighthalibutdining experiencelived up to our expectationscourse dinneramazing foodfine diningfood and wineresidents lounge
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My mother and I had a wonderful lunch at this michelin starred restaurant yesterday. The hotel is in a wonderful setting at the head of nidderdale and it was a magnificent drive over the moors and up the dale from Pateley Bridge along the side of the reservoir. There was a warm welcome with fires in the lounge and dining rooms. A first class pint of black sheep bitter to start with with complimentary parmesan tarts and light crisps.
Lunch commenced with an amuse bouche of goats curd with beetroot jelly. A lovely selection of homemade breads. To start with I had smoked cod loin, cured wild salmon, watercress mousse and a blend of crab meat and brown shrimps. My mother had a press of duck with bramble jelly. both dishes were delicious and beatifully presented.
For the main course my mother chose roast dexter beef from a farm in the village. It was beautifully tender with a rich taste and accompanied with large yorkshire pudding and vegetables. I had slow cooked mutton with girolles pommes puree and lentils. It was also delicious although I would have liked a little more of the mutton
Finally my mother had hot grand marnier souffle with chocolate sauce and raspberry sorbet whilst I had lemon curd tart with ginger ice cream.
The staff were friendly and the service impeccable. There is a fine wine list although we just had glasses of a lovely bourgogne.
All in all a wonderful occasion and one we shall repeat.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank john p
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I took my husband to the Yorke Arms for his 40th. It is in a really lovely hamlet and in a good walking area. We had a lovely lunch and wished we had booked in the rooms overnight as we didn't want to leave. We had a gin and tonic in the lounge before dinner and coffee and handmade petit fours by the fire afterwards which included a handiced happy birthday scroll.

Would definitely go again but would stop overnight!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fi7070
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I would give the restaurant 5 ******.

The food and service could not be faulted and the ambience was warm and mellow with real fires and subdued light.

Met the chef proprietor who is charming. It all works - the room was pretty good but not a match to the food with a small bathroom.
Beautiful location - worth a visit

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hexaminer
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed here on 24th October as part of my 40th birthday treat. From the moment we arrived after a misty walk along the valley, we were treated impeccably. The entrance and bar areas were spotless and our Superior Room should have read Superior Rooms as it was 2-tiered and beautiful.
The Black Sheep was as good as anywhere and our hour in the Resident's Lounge reading, perusing the menu and nibbling on canapes was as relaxed as we'd felt for a longtime.
The Dining Room was wonderful, elegant yet perfectly suited to that part of the world. Staff were prompt and knowledgable but kept their distance appropriately. All 6 dishes my wife and I ordered were faultless,particularly the Mousse dessert which has to be tried to believe.
Breakfast was plentiful and my wife, who kindly paid the bill, summed it up when stating that the experience was great value for money.
P.S the flap jack awaiting us in our room was worth the money alone!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Neilmagpie
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed here on 24th October 2012 with a group of friends. One of the couples was celebrating their Silver Wedding Anniversary. Our room was lovely and bright. We had champagne before our evening meal and they brought out canapés for us all. The evening meal was delicious with a good choice of each course. The breakfast was very tasty, again with a good choice. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends