“Great base for our Choir tour”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hawarden
Gladstone's Library
Ranked #1 of 2 Hawarden B&B and Inns
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great base for our Choir tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

The East of England Singers took over all the accommodation for our Bank Holiday choir tour. We all commented on the calming pleasant atmosphere and were made to feel very welcome. The food was good. My en-suite room was very comfortable and quiet. It would be a great place to do some study/reflection. The chapel is beautiful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dozival

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in Gladstone's Library. It felt so peaceful and relaxing,. I cannot think of a better place just to chill, but of course it is also excellent for studying, writing etc. It's easy.to get a bus into Chester, and the village is pleasant to walk around, with 3 pubs if you can't live without some draught beer (wine and some spirits are available in the Library in an honesty bar).

Room Tip: Rooms above the kitchen get a bit of noise from the fan
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LJMScotland
Mold, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Gladstone's library is the only residential prime ministerial library in the UK. Apart from an excellent collection of theological and other works, based on Gladstone's own collection, it offers a place for quiet reflection and stimulating conversations. The venue is within easy reach of Chester, the North Wales coast, and market towns such as Wrexham and Mold.
This was my third visit. Rooms have been upgraded. Catering is good as ever.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lizith
Liphook, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Back again. This was my second visit, coming during the heavy March snow. I enjoyed my stay just as much as last year even though I was only able to stay for the one night. The staff were brilliant when I had to change my booking due to the snow and I even retained the advantage of their marketing wheeze – a free bottle of red wine for this booking period!

This time I was in one of the newly renovated ensuite rooms - but I still opted to use the corridor shower room as my bathroom only had an unfixed shower attachment in the bath! The rooms are comfortable and homely. There are no TV’s but there are Roberts DAB radios and fast, free Wi-Fi.

I stay here really for the opportunity to use the beautiful galleried Gladstones library – open every evening until 10pm. However, it was slightly disappointing this time to find that half of the upper floor was bereft of books due to a major reorganisation of the stock, something I found quite disorientating. In the morning, I attended the 8am communion service (using the Church of Wales liturgy); beautifully done and always thought-provoking.

This is a one-off venue (the only Prime Ministerial library in the UK) and well worth a visit. The pricing is realistic, the food good and the library unique. I do hope that it will remain open for many more years to come.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GB01
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have been to Gladstone's many a time, and the fact that I keep going back tells its own story. For rest and relaxation, it's great.
Plus points: the superb mock-Tudor library, which is always toasty warm.
the excellent cooking
the comfortable living room
wifi available throughout.
Downsides: there are a few. One is that the library shuts at 10pm, annoying for those of who like to write late into the evening.
some of the bedrooms are also pokey and quite cold. They vary hugely in size and quality, so make sure you ask where you are being placed, and badger for an upgrade to one of the larger, warmer rooms on the first floor if it's possible.
The area round the library is also really dreary. Yes, you can walk in the park of the nearby Hawarden estate, but the village itself is desolate, wrecked by the virtual motorway that ploughs through it.
Finally, the price of the rooms has gone up markedly in the last year, so what was once a bargain is now just fairly good value.

Room Tip: the rooms on the top floor are much smaller and colder than those on the first floor. ask where your...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Londonfields
GladstonesLibrary, Manager at Gladstone's Library, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We realise that some people are night owls so do allow residents to take books to their rooms or to the Gladstone Room if they want to work on into the night.
Our bedrooms do vary in size and shape – due, in large part, to the age of the building. This is generally considered an attractive feature and something to be expected in a Grade 1 listed heritage property. Similarly, the age of the building means that heating it will always be a challenge but we do our best to make sure that the temperature is kept at an appropriate level for the time of year and have portable heaters for anyone who feels that their room is not warm enough.
The road through Hawarden is a ‘B’ road and, most of the time, traffic is fairly light. Hawarden is only a small village but does offer a choice of places to eat and drink, some local shops and many countryside walks.
Gladstone’s Library is, sadly, not immune to the effects of inflation and current economic trends so we, like all other organisations, have to put our prices up each year but we do try to keep our rates as low as possible and offer discounts to clergy and students as well as scholarships and bursaries.
Manchester, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

This was my first visit, together with a group of colleagues, on a writing retreat to get away from the emails, admin etc etc and focus on our research. This is the most wonderful place to do just that. The atmosphere is calm and peaceful, the building beautiful with useful spaces for silent study or discussions, the food down to earth but excellent, and the staff incredibly helpful and friendly. I will definitely come back. The one thing they could think about improving for anyone coming to study is the speed of the wifi - it was so slow I just had to give up, it is the one thing that would put me off if I needed good access to Internet materials for my writing. This is why I only award 3 for service. But otherwise highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank helidjha
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I am just enjoying my sixth visit to Gladstone's library, February visits have become a ritual in order to re-charge my batteries at the start of the year. For me it is primarily a reading retreat.

On my first visit I glutted on a pile of the wonderful books on offer - the key topics being history/religion/Victoriana, but plenty of other books are on offer. Nowadays I tend to bring books from home that I particularly want to read, or to give more attention too in the quiet of the library, and then allow a little serendipitous reading of the books available to me here.

In its previous guise of St Deiniols, it was known as a place where theological folk gather to commune, write, and study, but it is also a place for anyone to enjoy the facilities, think, write; and my experience as a secular visitor is that no-one is out to convert me to their views. I have, however, often dined with fascinating folk. As someone fascinated by the Arabic culture, it also has a room dedicated the the Islamic faith.

The library has now also hosted a number of writers workshops and has regular writers-in-residence.

You can be as solitary or as companionable as you wish.

There is a pleasant eatery and the little high street nearby offers most of the basic requirements.

Room Tip: There are rooms for all pockets from en suite to those that are not, but facilities will never be mo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawarden
Village Hotel Chester St David's
Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Northop Hall Country House Hotel
Beaufort Park Hotel
Soughton Hall Hotel
Soughton Hall Hotel
#1 of 3 in Northop
Days Hotel Chester North - Gateway to Wales

Been to Gladstone's Library? Share your experiences!