“Where is the lovely tapas?”
Review of Steve's Bar & Cafe

Steve's Bar & Cafe
Ranked #27 of 56 Restaurants in Nedlands
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Steve’s is a hub of activity from lunchtime and into the night. Whether it’s relaxing under the umbrellas on the lawn, or inside seated around the high tables with grazing plates and a drink, Steves offers the perfect place to meet friends or business associates.
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We have been regulars at Steve's over many years and while we may not have supported the development we did embrace it and have enjoyed many an afternoon in the sun with a bottle of SSB and delicious tapas at the new Steve's .

However after today I doubt if I will return. We ordered a bottle of wine and tapas. I said to the girl serving I wanted the warm olives, some chips, spanish style and bread with EVO. She told me the menu had changed but she suggested a couple of things that sounded ok. What we got was truly disgusting , fried onion rings covered in huge chunks of oily , greasy batter , 2 slabs of stale bread with an assortment of pickled veg and olives sitting in a vat of oil, the latter two items servered in glass jars that you could not reach the food , sort of like old Vegemite jars.

The food made me ill. I thought Perth had really improved is standard of food, and I know at many places the food is excellent but this quality or lack of was straight from the past. It was not fitting of a place that the cheapest bottle of wine is $40

I won't be going back to Steve's in a hurry .

1  Thank tigerbeer

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went here for lunch just recently midweek as it was close by. It was a lovely day sitting out in the sunshine. It was way overpriced but the staff were friendly particularly our balinese waiter. We were surrounded by people drinking champagne on just about every table. The 4 of us ordered appetizer to share and our mains. My lamb was cooked perfectly and tasted great. My brother just got a steak on a plate. A few days later we went to a pub in Vic Park and there were 9 of us, this bill cost us $10 less than the Steve's bill for 4 of us and the food was just as nice!

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Havn't been there for a while. Last time I was there it was Steve's and it was for beer, bands and being boisterous. Those that were being boisterous and swilling beer before are now sitting back and sipping high priced wines of the world. Its up market but its like a lot of other places of this ilk its expensive but lacking in any particular feel.

Only had a burger and beer which was OK but but I wouldn't be rushing back.

While its situated a few hundred meters away from the Swan River you don't get a view since the views have been bought by those who have bought the very expensive apartments that have taken over the old Steves site.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

What can I say, it was APPALLING!
The function was originally booked for 25 people but it was conveyed to the restaurant early in the day that revised numbers were 15. We were seated at our table and given our set menu and 3 wine lists between 10 people as we were told they did not have enough for everyone. As this was a set function we were told which wines by the glass that we could order but had to ask if we could possibly order by the bottle instead, which we could but only from the cheapest selection. However, apparently the deal between the organizers and the restaurant was that the alcohol was to be by consumption and therefore not restricted. One of our party ordered a beer. After a while he was told this was not available so he chose a different beer. After another 15 min this was delivered, but was still not what had been ordered. The waitresses were also not sure if any diet coke or diet pepsi were available. In addition, when the beer was delivery the waitress said she couldn't pronounce the name and never thought she would be able to.
The orders were finally taken at 7pm and stale bread served about 30min later, at which time the people who had ordered fish were told they could not have the barramundi. When this was questioned we were told the waitress should never have offered this as our set menu was for snapper not barramundi. In addition the people having fish were asked to confirm their entree and dessert despite there being no problem with this. I asked to speak to the manager regarding this as I really felt this was a restaurant mistake and that they should wear that mistake. The manager took another 10 min to come and speak with me, deciding instead that she needed to clear a few tables first, even no there were very few people in the restaurant. She went on to blame the trainee, saying she should never have offered the Barramundi and that there was only so much she could teach her staff in a short period of time. I found this response very unprofessional. In addition when I told her this would never happen in Melbourne and Sydney, I was told "We have a different attitude in the West". We were then told that 4 people had ordered fish and there were 4 barramundi left. However when the food finally came out, there were only 2 barramundi left!
At dessert time, one person missed out on their choice when being served as they had run out (again). They were told that another dessert could be made but it would take some time. This was now over 2 hrs AFTER the order had been taken.
At coffee time I ordered a decaf latte but again was told "I'm not sure if we have any decaf left", which as it turned out they did.
To top all this off, when we asked for the receipt (as the restaurant already had our corporate credit card details) they had charged us for 25 set menus when only 12 people were there AND the booking had been revised early that morning.
I will never go back there again.

3  Thank Charlotte J
Reviewed January 4, 2012

This is the second time I have been to Steve's in the past 4 weeks and it confirms my suspicions that the management needs to put some time and effort into training their staff.
A couple of pointers to begin with:
1. If you forget that someone has ordered drinks and they remind you of this after 30 minutes of watching you polish glasses and serve everybody else, apologise immediately, do not skimp of the lime in the Mojito and apologise again when you finally deliver the drinks.
2. When you bring food to the table, ask the customer if they would like anything else. Napkins? Condiments? A plate? Cutlery? You know, all those things that should have been brought to the table before the food! Perhaps some water as they clearly do not have a drink!
3. If you have messed up, make up. Put in a little time and ask if everything is alright. If the customer, having waited 30 minutes for their first drink, is sitting there for a further 20 minutes with an empty glass in front of them, consider that they might actually need or want another one! Even at $18 a piece for a very average 'spot-the-lime' Mojito.
5. When you collect the plates, ask if the food was satisfactory. Or smile, nod, anything! And if you are not going to ask the customer if they would like another drink, you may as well take the damn glass away!
6. Would the customer like anything else? A coffee perhaps? Dessert menu? Another cocktail on the house to make up for the crap service?
I wonder, if you did not have to pay for your order at the time you placed it, would the service be any better? Probably not. Whilst pleasant enough, these kids either do not have a clue or just cannot be bothered.
Come on Steve's - get your act together.

2  Thank Tuxtrip