“Fantastic........as always”
Review of Griesemount House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ballitore
Griesemount House
Ranked #1 of 1 Ballitore B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 7, 2008

Having read the previous review on 'Griesemount' by ' trevyrlady '- we were shocked. We have stayed with Carolyn & Robert at Griesemount many times in the past few years and always throughly enjoyed our stay there. Griesemount is a charming authentic period house and hense displays many original feautures including antiques and curious collected from all over the world. The four poster bed we slept in was amazingly comfortable, the electric blankets are a bonous, we had breathtaking views of green pastures and a nearby old mill from our traditional sliding sash windows - where we watched cows grazing, this view could also be seen from the spacious ensuite and the dining room where Carolyns breakfasts are a delight and not to be missed -Freshly squeezed orange juice, free range eggs & homemade jams etc. Carolyn & Robert are great hosts, very helpful & will give you so much of their time Carolyn has some very intresting stories & they have always made us feel very welcome like part of the family. The peace and tranquility is awesome considering how close you are to Dublin city! -frankly we always try to stay there if we are in the vicinity of Dublin /Naas.This place is always very clean and tidy -I dont think the other reviewer understands period houses and maybe next time they should try the Holiday Inn if they want plasma screens and mod cons!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Smurfette8

Reviewed September 1, 2008

CAJM, Dublin, Ireland

I have read Trevyrlady's review and feel compelled to respond. This lady cannot possibly be commenting on the Griesemount we know. My husband and I have stayed at this wonderful house on a number of occassions over the past few years, as recently as within the past few weeks and it is one of our favorite places in Ireland to stay.

Our bedrooms have always been oozing with charm and unparalled comfort, the beds and linen so luxuriant and cosy that our only regret was that we had to leave them. Carolyn and Robert run a superb house, whose guests are pampered from the time of arrival to departure with T.L.C.

Griesemount is a heavenly retreat in every possible sense and those who have not yet experienced it have a rare treat in store.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cajmDublin
Reviewed August 28, 2008

Griesemount House is an elegant, warm, period family home; a haven of shabby chic and understated individual style. Many original features remain and a beautiful modern kitchen/conservatory are new editions and most fitting with the original house. The views of the surrounding countryside are beautiful including the ruin across the field which can be lit up beautifully at night. The hospitality and friendly, open nature of the hosts are second to none and are always the key ingredients for me to return to a B&B.

Our room was bright, airy and spotless and had the most deliciously comfortable bed with fresh clean linen and a melt away mattress that provided a fantastic nights sleep..... this is the ideal accomodation for those who require more character in their surroundings than the generic humourless hotel chains.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LadyR_8
Reviewed August 28, 2008

I have just read the damning review on here and am amazed by the rant. I have stayed at Griesemount regularly over the past 5 years, as a visitor to family and friends in the area. I am an established travel writer and have a particularly critical eye for hotels and b&b's, which gives me further cause to discredit the previous review.

The house is utterly charming, cluttered with a lifetimes collection of books and antiques, fabulous art and artifacts collected by the owners from around the world. The drawing room, with it's sweeping views over the valley, is grand but live in, comfortable and inviting a perfect winter retreat.

Owners Carolyn and Robert go out of their way to welcome guests, with delicious breakfasts, excellent local knowledge and an open house policy that really makes for a home from home.

I have stayed in 3 of the bedrooms and found them all clean, comfy and romantic. All have wonderful views over the gardens, some of the abbey and the river. It's a perfect weekend escape, and very romantic.

If you want state of the art flat screen tv's and butler service, then no, it's not for you. If you are deeply allergic to dogs, then perhaps not, but this is a cosy, charming Irish countryside b&b, and hands down one of the best I have stayed in.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lydialexlise
Reviewed November 30, 2007

I wouldn't normally bother to write a review but felt we had to warn people what to expect. This place is described as oozing taste and style. It was like staying at your grannys only not as clean. Hasn't been refurbished or decorated for years and is cold,damp,dirty,musty and dusty. A haven for bed mites with ancient rotting bed hangings and curtains. The carpets and rugs are threadbare and smelly. The sheets are polyester, blankets are ancient, pillows lumpy and stained. I love period style but this isn't it. I'm not an electrician but the wiring made me feel nervous whilst struggling to switch off the electric blanket! We should have gone with our initial instinct to find an alternative don't make our mistake.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trevyrlady
curlyhopper, Owner/Manager at Griesemount House, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2008

We were very saddened to hear of Trevylady's views but thank goodness not everyone who comes to stay here feels like that. Recent comments in Our Visitors Book luckily tell a different story...(otherwise I think I might just give up, it all sounds so awful!); To quote a few; "What a treat to stay here, fantastic Hospitality & Friendship, We'll be back", "Amazing house-can't wait to come back";"Apologies for Oversleeping!Great Bed.";"Absolutely Brilliant", Best Bed Yet", "My faith in B&B's has been restored! Wonderful House and Hospitality".
We have made alot of improvements to the house and beause of that we were mostly closed last summer maybe this poor lady came in on the tail end of that ...who's to know.As for polyester sheets, lumpy pillows and ancient blankets, I wouldn't use them myself and I certainly wouldn't give them to my precious guests.... We love it when you guys come to stay and look after you best we can.
Kind Regards Carolyn Ashe

Been to Griesemount House? Share your experiences!