“Peace and Simpathy”

Newgrange Lodge
Amadora, Portugal
“Peace and Simpathy”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

It was getting too late to arrive but we finnally made it. Despite the late hour everyone had a smile on the face while doing the check-in. The room was neat and the beds were confortable.
The next morning started well with a delicious breakfast after a good sleeping night.
They even gave us an extremely useful map and information.
For portuguese driving in Ireland that map and good explanations save us a lot of time.

I do recommend Newgrange Lodge to anyone with an adventurous spirit. For those who appreciate jacuzzi and room service, forget it - book yourselves something in the city center confusion...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I booked us in here without reading the other views and I must confess that I therefore approached this with some trepidation - after all we are both in our 50s and not backpacking kids used to "roughing it". We were therefore very pleasantly surprised by the place. Yes the rooms are small and the furnishings are not top notch - but then you aren't paying Ritz-Carlton prices!! We had a problem with the water temperature in our shower and the guy running the place couldn't have been more helpful and fixed it for us within an hour! If you are coming to see Newgrange this makes a great base for a couple days stay! Where else can you stay across the road from a UNESCO World Heritage site for a few Euros a night!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We had a great stay here.We were a large group 19 by day ,10 stayed over for 2 nights.Lovely rooms white linen.We even had fresh popcorn made for us.Breakfast was excellent for a hostel,fresh fruit salad and great breads!We will be back.Plenty of seating areas candles at night!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
meath
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I have recently stayed at the Newgrange Lodge with a group in excess of 20. I found the staff at Newgrange to be extremely helpful friendly and welcoming. We were also entertained by some team building activities such as archery and paintballing. The welcome we got and the accomodating nature of the staff meant that we had a very successful trip which was thoroughly enjoyed by all.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Newgrange Lodge is a very fine place to stay. I lodged here for one night near the start of my 3+ month solo backpacking trip in Europe.

I stayed here after being in a Dublin hostel for three days. When I arrived I saw cars filling up the parking lot. I hadn't expected the place to be so full, but there I was, worried that I might not be able to get a room.

In the dimming light of dusk, I saw people dressed up through the windows, hearing some background music being played - there was a big group there celebrating. A party of some sort? A woman from Liverpool started chatting with me. The guests seemed really friendly.

I asked the receptionist if they had any rooms, and he says yes. Relieved, I got my key. He put me in a room in the back, away from the hustle of the common room.

I walked through the nice wooden hallways with glass windows showing the the twilight of the coming night.

I entered my room and was treated to a queen-sized bed, a television, and a bathroom and shower. It was all very clean and inviting. Even after three days of staying in a hostel, having my own place (and own shower!) was extremely refreshing.

I took all my belongings out and recharged my camera and electronic devices. My room had several outlets. And it had a nice closet area to hang my jacket and store my backpack.

That night I took a warm shower, laid in my comfy bed in peace and quiet, and watched television. It really was a welcome respite near the beginning of my journey.

The next day I saw the Bru Na Boinne ruins and they were spectacular.
Newgrange Lodge is a great place. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Triad47
County Clare, Ireland
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We loved Newgrange Lodge and all the staff are fabulous, Leon, Hayley, Alison & Nanette - thank you so much for a great stay while we visited Tayto Park and Newgrange Passage Co Meath Ireland - we had a ball even if the rugby was cancelled, we had a great dance in the vast sitting room & played supplied boardgames - we had stayed the night before in Marriott Hotel in Ashbourne (kindof soulless) & to be honest we had the best craic in Newgrange Lodge - ok the breakfast needs improving slightly, but the room was lovely and the views are beautiful to wake up to and the peace and as for the hospitality - it is the definition of what Ireland stands for - thank you to you all - we will definitely be back - Aoibhinn, Hans & children

Room Tip: Front of house
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2012

We were travelling around the east coast of Ireland with our family and friends and needed somewhere to stay for the night on 16th January 2012. When we called ahead the Lodge was closed due to it being out of season but Leon the owner very kindly agreed to open her doors just for us. The welcome we received was second to none and the accommodation was superb which was important as some of our party were elderly. The rooms were actually of hotel standard and very clean. In true Irish spirit Leon went out of her way to cook a full breakfast for all of us (which was not part of the price) and sat down with us to enjoy the conversation and share stories. I could not recommend Newgrange lodge highly enough and to give some indication we still talk about our experiences there. I look forward to crossing paths with Leon and her establishment sometime soon in the summer. Many thanks again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Donore
The d Hotel Drogheda
Westcourt Hotel
Westcourt Hotel
#3 of 5 in Drogheda
Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club

Been to Newgrange Lodge? Share your experiences!