“Charming hotel, charming island”
Review of Hotel Aeroehus

and 1 more site!
Hotel Aeroehus
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Aeroskobing
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed here for two nights. It is a quaint place, not luxurious, but comfortable. We did not eat at the restaurant due to the price, but found some less expensive restaurants with great fish. The hotel has bikes, but it rained the full day we were there and we took the free public bus around the island. We recommend the hotel. It was lovely to be at a quiet place after hectic Copenhagen. The island is a gem!

Room Tip: There is free island bus service. Bikes are great fun here. Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Aeroehus is a charming hotel, set off in its own courtyard from the little Main Street of Aeroeskoebing on Aeroe Island. The hotel has another large, well-landscaped courtyard, on which several cottage-type accommodations front. We stayed in one of these: large, well-lit, comfortable, modern. Good WiFi connectivity. TV, sitting area, dining table, refrigerator and sink with hot water kettle. The hotel reception area has a good bar, with two kinds of Carlsberg on tap, nice selection of wines, and Aeroe beer in bottles (as well as other offerings). Very relaxing to sit in the courtyard and enjoy a beverage.

The restaurant is fabulous: the owners have been fortunate to secure the services of a first-class chef from Copenhagen. Meals are generously portioned and delicious. Breakfast is in the style of Danish continental--variety of cereals, cold meats, fruits and vegetables, breads, juices, yogurts, coffee of course and soft-boiled eggs. Jenna, one of the proprietors, speaks several languages: she is extremely friendly and helpful. Her father Ole, also multi-lingual, is the owner with a real vision of hospitality. We had a very good package deal with bicycle rentals. Riding a bike around the island is a terrific experience. We rode to Marstal and back, enjoying the solar panel farms, sheep, swans, ducklings, thatched roofs, horses and ponies, as well as the harbor area in downtown Marstal. The buses are free but, at least in late May, stop in the early evening. You can't take a bike on the bus as far as I know. You can rent a car just at the ferry when you arrive if you'd rather drive than bike, walk, or bus.

Aeroeskoebing is a small town with a lot of history. Very old houses from the Hanseatic League era are still in use, which gives this town a very charming aspect. We came before the height of the tourist season in late May and had two days of warm sunny weather and one of light rain (sweater or light jacket). Excellent homemade gelato at Hotel Aroma and good finds at the Red Cross stores (there are two, one on Vesterbro for small items and one on Pilebaeken for furniture). Excellent bakery. Many stores only open in the middle of the day at this time of year, so plan ahead.

You may read a negative review about the hotel on Trip Advisor from several years ago: as far as I can tell, the reviewer is simply unused to European travel. For example, no washcloths are supplied, but this is common, so just bring one of your own. Our room had two single beds, with duvets and foam toppers--very comfy. It is true that there are no blackout shades in the room: if you need a completely blacked out room in order to sleep, probably Scandinavia in the summer is not for you. You can always bring a sleep mask.

Room Tip: We didn't see the rooms in the main hotel building. I can recommend the cabin type rooms. Wind...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Molly R
Reviewed October 11, 2012

A friend and I stayed here in August. We had booked for 2 nights - but when we got there we looked at each other and said "Yikes!" The Rooms were cramped and the beds were 40 plus years old! They sagged and barely fit in the room. I had to hop over the end of the bed to get out of the space between the bed and the wall, because the Wardrobe and bed were crammed together. I would not stay in this hotel ever again.
Why is it not listed in Aeroskobing - where it would be at the bottom of the list???
Stay at the Del Litte Hotel!

The town is quaint and pretty - but this hotel is not!

Room Tip: Back rooms over garden seemed bigger - but are dark.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
19  Thank Larry L
Reviewed June 29, 2012

This is a wonderfull place in a truly unique place in the world.

After checking in late, having travelled 30 straight hrs to get there, the manager kept the full kitchen staff on after closing to serve us.

I was expecting a hurried meal, but the chef put on an exuisitely prepared, and presented full on meal. No corners cut, no bitterness over staying late. Excellent, by the best standards.

The room was a studio apt sized suit , tastefully and individually decorated, with many features.

The included continental breakfast was not typical either. Everything was farm fresh and homemade from scratch, from local sources.

Altogether a perfect stay.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed here two nights and enjoyed the location 1-1/2 blocks to the ferry and the large size room and bathroom.the shower had mold on the wall and soaked the floor with water. The towels were thin and the bed was ok. Great ventilation with the windows and the breakfast was delicious. Nom toaster for my home brought gluten free bread. Nice yogurts and cheeses and fruit. There was a lounge to use the wifi when it worked. We lost it at 8:30 pm. The re was a fridge in our room. Close to a nett a grocery store near the ferry. There was not a; front desk. You had to walk thru the restaurant and go to the bar. There was a hair dryer if you asked for it. No coffee in the room. Had a desk and a small table with three chairs. Beautiful flowers in the room area outside. We ate one dinner there and it was very good. Covered dining/drinking area. No room darkening drapes

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ackart
Reviewed July 8, 2011

The only real hotel in Aeroskobing, extremely well located and quite picturesque and cozy. This hotel would get a 4 star rating IF they charged 800kr for the room instead of the 1250 kr for a room for attached bathroom. Included breakfast with typical European content - cold meats, pastry but no eggs or high quality items like smoked salmon, and filling.

They were accommodating for a late checkout as we had rented good quality 7 speed bikes from them for a wonderful 15 mile ride around the center of the island, details in Rick Steeves Scandinavia guide book

Room Tip: review the pictures on the website
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank FunOnly
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Some of my family is from Ærø. I was visiting the island with my Mother (I am a grown man from America). We did not want to get 2 separate single rooms, but I did not want to share a room with my Mother.

I called ahead just 1 day in advance of our arrival and talked to the owner. He said he had a room that would accommodate us and the price was fair. I booked the room for 2 nights. The owner also said there would be some noise until 9:30 every night because of the restaurant. I said that was fine and we'll see you tomorrow.

When we arrived at the island the hotel was very easy to find. We walked into the information center near the dock and they gave us a map and sent us in the right direction.

The room we stayed in was an stand-alone cottage (or apartment) near the entrance and they gave us that cottage priced as a double room. The cottage had 2 single beds upstairs and 2 single beds downstairs. It also had one bathroom, a kitchenette, small foyer, and a brick patio with table and chairs. The downstairs bedroom / kitchen also had a flat-screen TV with a decent selection of channels.

This cottage also appeared to be recently remodeled as everything was modern and in excellent condition.

My only complaints about the room were that the walls (interior) were pretty thin (not a big deal, but still) and the beds were a little stiff for my liking but not so much that it really interfered with my sleep.

There was noise but, like they told me when I booked, it ended at 9:30 when the restaurant closed. Since our room was near the entrance of the hotel "complex" we did hear some people as they walked in and out during the evening (my windows were kept open) but it was hardly what I would call disturbing. Compared with the street noise in Copenhagen this place was very quiet and not overly loud even when the restaurant was open but I suppose that depends on the crowd you get.

There were some bright lights but this apartment had shades in all of the windows which took care of that problem.

We had breakfast each morning at the hotel. Their breakfast was as good or better than I've had in hotels in Copenhagen. There was the usual fruit, bread/cheese/meat, yogurt, juice/coffee. There was also bacon, sausage and eggs which you don't find everywhere. The dining setting was also relatively elegant for breakfast with tablecloths, candles and flowers.

We also ate lunch several times at the hotel and found the food and drink to be great.

We rented bicycles which cost 75 kr/day each. That was a bit more than I was expecting, but with everything I was able to see it was well worth it. There were other places in town that rented bicycles, but I did not compare prices. The bikes themselves were decent. Mechanically sound and fairly sturdy. Definitely not sport material but a good general purpose bike.

I should also add that the service was excellent. Any time I went back to the bar / front office, if there was not someone already there, within 5 seconds of me ringing the bell, someone would show up. Very good service at both the hotel and the restaurant.

Some other notes / cautions. The hotel has Internet access but it is wired only. I only brought my iPhone so was out of luck. FYI, the information center down near the dock has a computer with Internet access that the public can use. Also, pay in cash if you can. There is a 5% surcharge for paying by credit card (at least in my case using a Mastercard). This is not a fee applied after the charge, but before the charge.

All in all, however, it exceeded our expectations and I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010
3  Thank dohnato
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aeroskobing
Aeroe Hotel - Skipperbyen Marstal
5 mi away
Nostalgi Marstal
Nostalgi Marstal
#1 of 7 in Marstal

Been to Hotel Aeroehus? Share your experiences!