“The ol' gummy”

Gumboot Garden
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Yup, as cafe's/resturaunts go, it's pretty crap. Okay food, high prices, snarky slow service. And yet, somehow, it's a totally amazing place to eat. You've heard of the sum of it's parts expression, well this place is far more than the sum of it's parts, which is Just as well otherwise I really wouldn't go.

Reviewed November 24, 2010

Overpriced. Very slow service, sometimes surly service. Had breakfast here with a friend. She ordered turkey sausages, which did not come with her order. When I pointed this out to the server, she said rather snarkily "you didn't order sausages." I replied that she certainly had ordered them, as the server asked what kind she wanted. She was not happy with this reply and said she'd have to put the order in and it would take a long time to get them. We'd already waited close to an hour for our meal as it was. As we were finishing, ms. snarky waitress brought two sausages on a plate. When we got the bill, we expected to not be charged for them, but there they were. I have been here several times and never had a good experience. Last time I grudgingly went there (because friends of mine wanted to go) we all ordered eggs benny with smoked salmon (came with a few hash browns on the side). The "hollandaise" sauce had no lemon taste at all. The bill was over $60 for 4 breakfasts! Ridiculous.

I refuse to eat at the Gumboot, even though it's in my community. I am fed up with the long waits, the mediocre food, the high cost and the snotty service.

Reviewed August 16, 2010

Looks like a simple family run restaurant. The decor could use some sprucing up. Even though they forgot to get our order out to us for about an hour (I'm sure this is rare), the menu and the food was amazing! I would highly recommend this above any other chain restaurant in the area.

Reviewed August 12, 2010

Great meal at the gumboot with all fresh ingredients.
Service wasn't great but the food made up for it.

Reviewed June 22, 2010

Mmm, mmm, mmm... the Gumboot.

A great menu that's not to big and not too small. Fresh vegetables and thinking can be found here. It's definitely my favourite spot for a good breakfast... to die for tostadas or pear and brie french toast anyone? They have lots of vegetarian and vegan options (which is a rarity on the Coast) but always something for meat eaters as well. Their Gumboot veggie burger is by far the best I have ever had to this date!

Everything is fresh and most of the vegetables come from their very own garden.

It's an overall casual restaurant with a nice patio that's great for families, friends and couples. Just don't come when you're in a hurry, things don't take forever but the atmosphere is definitely quite laidback.