“How do you like your meal ... Smoked?”
Review of Tasca no Cais - CLOSED

Tasca no Cais
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Well I go to a restaurant to taste the food and enjoy the experience. Well someone hasn't told the owner that you should never smoke outside your own establishment by the door while your kitchen extraction fans are going full blast. While the breeze it creates is nice across the diners faces on a hot night, but inhaling the owner's smoke while having a meal is deplorable. If it happened once, maybe OK but this owner had 4 cigarettes in the space of 1 hour and we smelt every one.

As for the food ... soup was too salty, meal was average and the sangria was the highlight. Service started slow but got there eventually. 50 Euros for 2 people ... not the best value for money.

Also I don't get the menu pricing with selling fish by kg. When the average price is 45 Euros per kg, how much is my diner going to cost me??? Wouldn't it be better to sell the fish by a portion and change the price per meal on the chalkboard? I wanted to order fish but didn't as it could have easily emptied my wallet :)

4  Thank ArtisanCafe

Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I ate here for an evening meal - lovely setting on the harbour with scenic views. The service was friendly and efficient. We ordered the steak and the piri piri chicken. The portion sizes were huge - it was almost a whole chicken with masses of chips. While our food was tasty we both felt there was something missing - perhaps an assortment of vegetables instead of just chips would have been better for us. The chocolate cake however was delicious and made up for my lack of excitement over the main meal.

2  Thank JuBarford
Reviewed September 2, 2012

First of all, I have to say that the food was quite good, We enjoyed it.
The restaurant oversees the bay, so if you can get the table across the streat (which we couldn't), go for it.
But the whole experience should have been relaxing, and it wasn't. The owner lost his temper a couple of times and starting screaming at the waiters and being quite rude. The youngest waiter was very friendly, but the other waiter had a really "long face" the whole time. There was "tension" in the air the whole time.
For an expensive meal like this, I was expecting a better overall experience.

2  Thank norte00
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Portuguese food as it should be rustic none fussy, cooked well, seasoned right, nice size portions and presented nicely, and above all very very tasty. The quality of attention given is fantastic & the beer on tap is Ice cold for those hot days sitting over looking the bay, we always make sure we eat here! when in Sao Martinho. The owner always makes us feel at home even making an impromptu birthday cake for my wife, when I told the owner we was here to celebrate her birthday at the end of the meal. "One of the best birthday cakes we have tasted" and a really nice gesture....Looking forward to returning soon for some Morcela com ananás muito Bom Obrigard.

1  Thank ClaudioMartinho
Reviewed August 11, 2012

A family run restaurant, with good atmosphere, friendly service, excellent fish and piri piri chicken, this is our favourite restaurant in Sao Martinho do porto, it overlooks the bay and gives nice dramatic views of Sao Martinho as the sun goes down. The fish is simply cooked and the vegetables and nicely cooked also. The home made desserts are great.

2  Thank alexBath