“Stay in the most friendly hostal in Chachapoyas”
Review of Hostal Amazonas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chachapoyas
Hostal Amazonas
Karlsruhe, Germany
“Stay in the most friendly hostal in Chachapoyas”
Reviewed December 26, 2010

We bumped in more or less on random - we wanted to get information about tours to surrounding archeological sights from a tour agency also located inside the hotel. The lady who runs the agency was on lunch break but Eduardo (who turned out to be the owner of the hotel) told us a bit about the tours and offerd us a very nice room for a very good price. So we had not to think much to change our hotel and moved into Hostal Amazonas.
And it was a very very nice stay. Eduardo is a very nice and overwhelmingly friendly person who helped us where he could. The staff is very friendly as well. Everything is clean, the rooms are cleaned daily there is the hottest water in the whole of Chachapoyas and we had free internet even in the room. Rooms also have TV and our room had a fridge as well. There is a nice atrium, the hotel is located in the center (Plaza de Armas) and there are lots of restaurants and coffes around.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ErnestoRey

Munich, Germany
Reviewed November 28, 2010

We went to Chachapoyas for visiting Kuelap from there and found this nice family run hostal, located directly on the main plaza. It is (still) cheaper than the other hostals there and run with so much passion, that we really enjoyed our stay there.
Carlos and his family even have their own travel agency in the hostal and we decided to do a 4day hiking trip, which ended at Kuelap. We had the best time with Carlos' brother Alcidez as our guide and would any time go back there again!
Thank you so much for our lovely time in your hotel,
good luck for the future,
Bernie and Kerstin from Germany.

• Stayed November 2010
4 Thank BernieOnTour
Dorset, UK
Reviewed October 30, 2010

We were recommended this Hostal by a contact in Chiclayo and turned up on spec to be welcomed by friendly owner Eduardo and offered a room within a couple of hours of arriving at the crack of dawn on the night bus.

It´s quite a basic place but clean and comfy beds and good hot showers, although one night there was no water to be had in the whole town!

Staff very accommodating and flexible over leaving times even allowing us access to a shower before our night bus left.

No breakfast but several cafes offer breakfasts around the Plaza.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PragueVisitor77
Santa Marta, Colombia
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Chachapoyas is a surrounded with beautiful historic sites, ruins and nature to see. Kuelap, Pueblo de los Muertos, Sarofagos Karajia, Catarata Gocta, etc.. I planned to stay at the Amazonas Hostel only a couple of days and finally enjoyed it for 7 days. There is so many nice tours and hikes close by and all outdoor activities can be organized right from the hotel. A Tour Operator is also part of the hotel which is great. Everyone is helpful (Eduardo, the owner who speaks good English and all the staff). The location is also great (in front of the plaza) and all services you need such as restaurants and laundrymat are just 1 or 2 block from the hostel. I have to add that this is the first hostel I have been in Peru that have a hot water tank right in my room (with a lot of pressure) which is a bonus...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank Francois D
New York, New York
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I stayed at Hostal Amazonas in August and again in September 2010. Originally arrived at 6am from Chiclayo after a 10 hour bus trip, tired, cold, and craving coffee. Eduardo, the owner (who also speaks English) was so sweet and accommodating. The hostal was full except for one room that had just been vacated and hadn't been cleaned. Eduardo prepped the room for me, then made me coffee.
And that's the kind of care he provided during both my stays. Whatever was needed he was always there to help or make suggestions.
The hostal is right on the plaza. The rooms are quiet and those on the plaza are perfect for watching life go by in Chacha.
Great price, good accommodations, wonderful staff.
Travel Chachapoyas in located in the hostal and can arrange your tours. Very knowledgeable and helpful staff there as well.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank takimuyki
Boise, Id
Reviewed June 22, 2010

I stayed in Hostal Amazonas in early June, I stumbled upon the hostal just walking around the main plaza. I was greeted by a friendly man named Edwardo who is the owner of the hostel. Edwardo speaks english which was nice because there wasn't to many english speakers in the area. The rooms are a great value starting at around 40 soles (which is approx $13 dollars). The rooms are really big and extremely clean. All of the rooms have cable t.v. and warm showers. The hotel itself is really quite beautiful with a big open area with a lot of plants and a main fountain. It's a colonial feel which fits well with the city. But the best part about my stay was the service. Edwardo was great with all of my needs and helped me plan all my tours. He really made my stay a memorable one. I would highly recommend this hostel (which is more like a hotel) to anyone thats in Chachapoyas who's looking for a great value and good service.

Although I would recommend getting in contact with the hotel to make a reservation because it did seem to fill up. Phone number is [--] Email is [--].
Enjoy your trip!

Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Miguelt1980
NSW
Reviewed June 16, 2010

My (adult) son and I arrived in Chachas early in the morning after a 9 hr bus ride from Chiclayo. We were sitting in the Plaza De Armas when we were approached by a person representing Amazonas hostal asking if we would like to have a look, which we did. Amazonas is a budget hostal perfectly located right on the Plaza. It is owned by Eduardo who apparently purchased the property a couple of years ago. Prior to that it had been unoccupied for many years, and Eduardo has been slowly renovating the building.

We were shown to a spacious room containing three single beds, a medium sized TV with cable reception, and a private bathroom. I asked whether the room had hot water and was told that it did. The cost was 25 soles each (about US$9) and, after testing the beds, we accepted. Later I found that the ‘hot’ water was at best tepid (there was no storage – apparently the water was supposed to be electrically ‘heated’ when the flow was turned on – ineffective!). We asked for another room with hot water.

Eduardo is a very nice man and keen to satisfy his clients. He is not fluent in English but has a reasonable understanding – certainly much better than my ability to converse in Spanish. He offered us another room that would be available later in the day. We subsequently found that this room was also very spacious and comprised two single beds, a double bed, cable TV, a chest of drawers, and a private bathroom – this time with a storage unit containing plenty of hot water. I took a single bed, which was very comfortable. My son took the other single and said it was a bit ‘lumpy’. One annoyance with the room was a bathroom door that would not close. Eduardo later explained that the area had been hit with a strong earth tremor a few weeks earlier and it had caused numerous minor structural problems such as the faulty door alignment. Notwithstanding the bathroom door, I considered the room to be a bargain and we stayed five nights.

Amazonas Hostal has, I think, nine rooms currently available. Gradually Eduardo hopes to open another 20 or so. Apart from our room, and the first room we were shown, I observed that there were other smaller rooms that had either a double bed or twin beds. All rooms appear to have private facilities, although I understand from talking with other guests that perhaps not all rooms have hot water storage units. However, guests prepared to ‘rough it’ in the more basic rooms were apparently paying even less than our modest room rate. Some rooms overlook the Plaza – these rooms have the plus of great outlook but the negative of some noise. One backpacker I spoke with said he simply used ear plugs and had no problems.

The hostal also serves as the office for a tour company called Chachapoyas Travels, run by the personable Janet. Janet speaks quite reasonable English and can arrange tours around Chachapoyas. I found that tours prices are pretty much standard in Chachas (e.g. 50 soles Karajia, 60 soles Kuelap, 70 soles Revash) so the only difference is service quality. We arranged two tours with Janet and both were very good. I recommend her.

The Chachapoyas district is a gem and pretty much unknown. The scenery is superb. Kuelap is the best known attraction but there is much more. My son and I spent 5 nights in Chachapoyas and there was something to do every day.

Amazonas Hostal provides budget accommodation at budget rates. It is well managed and clean. Budget travelers should check it out. My rating is based on the room we had and my expectations for budget standard accommodation.

• Stayed June 2010